Wide wheels for Jag F/E

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
86xf

Wide wheels for Jag F/E

Post by 86xf »

Good evening Gents,

I’m dropping a quick line to pick your brain and hopefully confirm my research.

I’ve put a Jag S3 F/E under an International AA110 and I’m trying to workout how wide can I go with the front wheels legally.

The Inter is a “goods carrying vehicle”, therefore I can make the track 50mm wider that standard, or 25mm per side.
The standard Jag wheels are 6” with an ET of 32mm (ET32), allowing for the widening of track, the new wheels could be ET7. With 8” wheels this would move the outer edge of my rims out 50mm (2”).

Is this right?....can I step them out further some how.

In advance, thank you.

Pete
SimonG

Re: Wide wheels for Jag F/E

Post by SimonG »

Hi Pete,

Your maths look correct but the big thing with wheel offset is to work out what is actually available. If you are using the Jag PCD you may find that without going to custom wheels there is only a limited number, if any, of 8" wheels that are available and this will dictate what you can use.

The main thing though is talk to an engineer as no matter what anyone says he has the final word and if he is happy for you to go 0 offsett them you are set.

Simon
86xf

Post by 86xf »

Thank you, it looks like I’ll be looking another f/e.
*Raptor*

Post by *Raptor* »

The Inter is a “goods carrying vehicle” but the Jag isn't. Any variation from factory specs is relative to the donor vehicle, which in this case is the Jaguar 'passenger car' . So you don't even have as much freedom as you seem to think you do.

Passenger cars are allowed +25mm track increase (equivalent to 12.5mm lower offset wheels).
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

SimonG wrote:Hi Pete,

Your maths look correct but the big thing with wheel offset is to work out what is actually available. If you are using the Jag PCD you may find that without going to custom wheels there is only a limited number, if any, of 8" wheels that are available and this will dictate what you can use.

The main thing though is talk to an engineer as no matter what anyone says he has the final word and if he is happy for you to go 0 offsett them you are set.

Simon
Jag PCD is the same as Chev, HQ up etc 4 3/4 inches
Regards Bob
86xf

Post by 86xf »

Thanks guys.

Interpretation of the rules is important, the AA110 is a very light Ute, original payload was only 750kg....they were heavy little utes with a gvm of 6000lbs but some of the limo jags were up around the 5800lbs. I’m expecting that my total gvm will be reduced to 5700-5800lbs but with a modern light weight drive train I’ll stay on track for the original payload.

Wheels, I’ll end up with custom Steelies but at the moment I think 18x8 will look tucked in under the guards to much. My choices are to take the 3-4” flare out of the guards or swap to a different front end.

If you have any suggestions on front ends I’m all ears, I’m looking at a Chev C20 on the weekend and I have access to a ba falcon.

BA Falcon or a Territory will give me a wheel track that is 75mm and 140mm wider than the Jag.

Again thanks.
Mudgy
Old Hand

Post by Mudgy »

Hi mate,
All I can offer you is my series 3 XJ6 donor was 2.23 tonne. So a heavy car. I suppose that's one reason these front and rear ends are used so widely.

Cheers, Mudgy
Good Judgement comes from experience....experience comes from bad judgement.
Angry

Post by Angry »

I have a 64 F100,...Im running a XJ6 S3 86 front end....the original F100 track with is approx 59" ,..the jag is very similar.
Im running 15x 8 Cragar Street Pros they have a 4.25" back space....I also have a set of 15x8 Wheel Vintiques Smoothy steel rims....The both come in dual bolt pattern wit 5 x 4.75 which is Jag/Chevy/HQ.....and 5 x 4.5" which is Ford / Mustang/Falcon So I can run one set of wheels and cover both bolt patterns....
Jag / Chevy pattern will allow a whole world of wheel options for you...but theyll be American...my 69 Camaro uses the same 5x4.75 BP...any of those Chevy cars from late 60s through to mid 70s /late 70s + have the same bolt pattern with a lot of choice of width and back space and width..
My 64 F100 is exempt forma heap of ADR rules because its pre 74 ...but has to have some others..

You need to talk to your Engineer soon.

Im not a fan of the later Falcon front ends because theyre so wide...and it may force you to run front wheels with a large backspace which look like front wheel drive wheels...and look a bit odd ,....Gotta tell you a XJ6 S3 is really great front end and very underrated.
Al.

64 Ford F100 SWB Patina Pickup
69 Camaro Z28 Clone....