Australasian Hot Rod Digest

Posts relating to early (Pre 1985) Hotrodding History in Australia, including Hotrod and Custom Shows plus early Drag Racing, Speedway, Hillclimbs etc.
Andyd

Australasian Hot Rod Digest

Post by Andyd »

Does anyone have any copies of or info on this early Oz hot rod magazine........in the latest, #9 copy of Graham Smith's Australian Hot Rodder there is a pic taken by Eddie Ford and published in Australasian Hot Rod Digest Vol 1, # 5, April 1963 of Ray Sprague's 32 Roadster.......produced in Sydney with Alan Crouch as editor in a pocket size............I've heard of this magazine but this is the first pic I've seen from the magazine and am curious as to when it started & finished & how many issues were published.........a search under that title only brings up Australian Hot Rod which is not the same magazine.........I have a complete set of Australian Rodding World which was published May 1965 to(I think) January 1967 and its not that magazine..........so........anyone got info regarding Australasian Hot Rod Digest.........and if you do and are going to thin the magazine herd I'm interested...........lol..........Andy Douglas.
Mr Model A
Old Hand

Re: Australasian Hot Rod Digest

Post by Mr Model A »

I have seen pics of these on fb, it was published in NSW and I don't think many copies made there way
down here, so you'd have more chance up your way of finding copies, from memory Alan Crouch was doing it.
Not sure, but OldCol may have some.
never odd or even
Mr Model A
Old Hand

Post by Mr Model A »

Dave Hart posted this on fb
never odd or even
Andyd

Post by Andyd »

MrModelA.....thanks for posting that pic.....was talking to Graham Smith yesterday and apparently Eddie Ford has a set of this mag so I'll give him a call........andyd
swifty

Post by swifty »

Andy, Eddie is definitely your man to talk to. We used to sell the mag at the gates to the Fishermans Bend drags. Everyone thought it was a program and by the time they found out that it wasn't they were too far away and the drags had started LOL

Was produced by Alan Crouch in Sydney- he was a typesetter at one of the Sydney newspapers. Jeff Dellow took Eddie and I to meet Alan on our first trip to Sydney and that's how it all started with selling it at the drags.

Ray's 32 was LHD with the 6" letters on the tail panel- Ray was very pro-American- and was early Poly powered. Cover pic had to be taken at an Ampol station as mag was sponsored by them. That station was on Mt. Alexander Road in Moonee Ponds.