Late 60's Channelled Blue 32(?)Chev Roadster in Sydney

Posts relating to early (Pre 1985) Hotrodding History in Australia, including Hotrod and Custom Shows plus early Drag Racing, Speedway, Hillclimbs etc.
Andyd

Late 60's Channelled Blue 32(?)Chev Roadster in Sydney

Post by Andyd »

Dunno why I have kept thinking about this car but anyway here goes.........Around 1972/73 a mate of mine bought a channelled 1932(I think) Chev Roadster, this car had been a quality well built hot rod but when purchased was unreg'd and less engine/gearbox. It was painted a metallic blue, black upholstery, full set of gauges across the dash, the chassis was unusual in that the car used the original Chev semi elliptic front springs and axle with a Ford style transverse rear spring, from memory the car had chromed reversed style rims and most of the suspension had been chromed or certainly well finished ........as mentioned it was less engine/gearbox and from memory was set up for a 272/292 Cusso Y Block.......I can't remember if it had the grille or radiator now but it sticks in my mine as a show quality car..........what happened to it?........well the mate who owned it got into various substances and my memory is that it was sold in the mid 70's.........we both lived at this time at home which was in the southern Sydney suburb of Rockdale, right under the East/West Mascot Runway........I've always wondered whose car it was originally and whether it ever got back on the road........of course I didn't take a pic..........lol...........in 1972 I was 18, the mate was 16.........oh to be young & silly again..........andyd
Mr Model A
Old Hand

Re: Late 60's Channelled Blue 32(?)Chev Roadster in Sydney

Post by Mr Model A »

interesting isn't it, I also saw cars like that, but didn't usually carry a camera, besides it was expensive to get prints done. :shock:
don't know if you're on facebook, but there has been lots of pics posted, of cars that didn't make it into magazines.
never odd or even
Andyd

Post by Andyd »

Nah, Facebook is above my pay scale...........have mentioned this car occaisonally to people when I lived in Sydney but not for 30 yrs or more since I moved to Grafton in 1992.........lost track of the mate who bought the car in the 1980's so thats a deadend....but the chassis was the defining feature......a pair of what my memory says were at the front chromed early chev springs and beam axle with a transverse Ford rear spring and thinking about it a chromed ( Cusso?) rear axle to boot under a bright metallic/metal flake blue paint body with nice black upholstery........the plot thickens............lol.............andyd
Mr Model A
Old Hand

Post by Mr Model A »

I'm 71 and can use Facebook, it's not that difficult, there's lots of good stuff on there 8)
never odd or even
monte
Old Hand

Post by monte »

Yep even Ozrodders are on Facebook and sooo easy to put pics on there even I can do it straight off my phone :D :D :D :D
Dragferret

Post by Dragferret »

Hey Andy I don't know if its the same car but in the '90s there was an annual car show held in the Cronulla mall. Every year a severely channeled white Chev roadster was displayed. It was registered, not on a club permit. Its the only show I saw it at and like I said it was displayed every year. It looked like a really old rod. Sadly in the days of print film a lot of cars weren't photographed. So I never took a photo of it. Cronulla Carpets displayed a T Bucket painted in Sharks colours, Didn't photograph that either. Haven't seen either car since.
Andyd

Post by Andyd »

Ferret....the really defining feature was the Chev semi ellyptic front springs and beam axle with the Ford transverse rear spring, what was there indicated a nice show quality car when built but it was less engine/gearbox so wasn't going anywhere soon........will get onto faceplant some day...............lol...........andyd