ID for inhibitor switch

Go here for posts about rebuilds, parts and problems
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

ID for inhibitor switch

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Hoping someone has a clue. This is the trans mounted inhibitor switch on the T350 in my 49 Ford PU. the rod was connected to the shift linkage . Trying to find what it is actually off. It is stuffed and had been by passed.Image I have been trying to search GM inhibitor switches without luck so far. It may have been sourced from another vehicle. The column shift steering column in the pick up was from a 70 Ford Van, I assume Econoline but these would have used something like the Ford C4 etc slipped on the selector shaft.
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
46 deluxe
Old Hand

Re: ID for inhibitor switch

Post by 46 deluxe »

Give it a good clean Frank and see of it has any part numbers or markings on it .
Ford FMX uses a similar setup , but that's not FMX .
scott
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Thanks Scott. I have given it the once over to see if anything is obvious under the surface scale. I did find an "R". Will see if anything else turns up.
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Gave it a further sanding scrub and all that turns up is "made in Canada". That plate is a pressing and bolts up to a pair of studs hanging out of bosses on the trans housing. Bosses and studs are totally missing from another T350 I have which is a 74 model.
46 deluxe
Old Hand

Post by 46 deluxe »

How many wires on it Frank ?
Could this be it ?
https://www.musclecarsandclassics.ca/el ... -1974-1976
scott
enjenjo

Post by enjenjo »

That switch has been discontinued for 40 years. Here is a much cheaper alternative. https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Lokar-BL ... 43362.html The switch in that kit is a commonly used backup light switch in manual transmissions. the rest can be made easily in the shop.
People who think they know it all, bother those of us that do.
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Thanks Both Scott and Frank. Yes that is the switch Scott ,same coloured wires. small bolts attach it to the pressed plate. Convert the $252 USD to AUD and add postage :shock: . The Lokar is one that is available here, either back up or reverse light, and another dual version. Looks like I use components and do the hot rodder bit and do adapting. To build up a start "P" "N" and a reversing light function . That GMC application for the OEM must have T350 boxes with a special application, given the studs on the main body.
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

BW35/40 Switches are available and are the press button type, set up a cam lever arrangement like Lokar shifter. I have found Falcon BA etc to be similar to the C4 style and the centre for the shaft looks to be keyed . Easy to use one of these on a bracket with a shaft and lever to copy the GM OEM unit on my photo.
46 deluxe
Old Hand

Post by 46 deluxe »

Have you seen the FMX type switches Frank , they operate on a lever also .
But they too can be hard to find .
scott
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

You are right Scott. Col Bates gave me a lead on F/B as to the Fairlane & LTD application. I did a hunt . Ebay has an offering from WA $395. At the $260 USD, with postage coming to a total of some $380 AUD for a direct replacement, and $395 for something needing modifying , I find it a better alternative to pay $19 at "Jollys" 5 minutes away to look at BA BF BG Falcon or VZ Commodore that look similar to the C4 unit. Mount one of these to a bracket, and make up a lever :D
46 deluxe
Old Hand

Post by 46 deluxe »

I could have sent ya a freebie BA falcon one Frank , i probably have 4 or 5 here . lol
scott
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Thanks Scott. I will lash out and get a brand newy ,trade price.