Huge turning circle

Go here for posts about rebuilds, parts and problems
55 International

Huge turning circle

Post by 55 International »

Hello all I'm new to your forum.
I have a 55 international tray back that has been modified by previous owner. I am fixing things as they go wrong which so far is a lot. Might save them for another post. The truck had a vn commodore power steering rack, mitsubishi front end with hq stub axles. Unfortunately the stub axles have the HG long steering arms which makes the truck turn like a cruise ship. In a straight line and normal street corners its fine but forget going into car parks unless you want to do a 10 point turn. I tried short hq arms but it puts the Ackerman out. Is there somewhere where I can get shorter steering arms that would curve in enough to keep the Ackerman.
I also replaced the power steering rack with a manual vl rack to reduce weight and engine bay clutter.
Mudgy
Old Hand

Re: Huge turning circle

Post by Mudgy »

Hello 55, I can only help with a NSW Guidelines 2nd edition from Nov 2013 states sect 5.1.6 "The street rod must be able to turn in a circle not over 25 Metres in diameter, measured by the outer edge of the tyre track at ground level, whether it turns to the left or the right"

If anyone has a newer version, please let me know...
Sorry mate, I can't help you with bits to use.
Cheers, Mudgy.

PS welcome to OzRodders ! :D
Good Judgement comes from experience....experience comes from bad judgement.
55 International

Thanks Mudgy

I will have to check that out. My truck was engineered in February this year so I hope it complies.
Greg N Smith

Post by Greg N Smith »

What is the wheelbase of your 55 international tray back and what is the wheelbase of the donor for the HQ stub axles and the HQ arms ?

When you mounted the new steering rack was it placed closer to the axle centreline with the shorter steering arms ?

IF there are a lot of things wrong with a vehicle that was engineered in February this year perhaps you should talk to that engineer before changing things and especially the steering.
55 International

Hello GS

The wheel base is 3160mm
Original chassis
Mitsubishi L300 front end
HQ holden stub axles
HG holden steering arms
Was VN commodore power rack but is now VL commodore manual rack which bolted straight in.

Problem with the steering is the rack can't provide the travel that the steering arms were designed for. The HG had a steering box which allowed more travel.

When I installed the HQ shorter arms I used a string line from front stub axle to centre of rear axle and the tie rod ends were way off I need shorter steering arms that curve inwards to line up with string line. Keeps Ackerman true.

The majority of the issues are poor workmanship and the use of old parts that should have been replaced. Not parts that the engineer needed to inspect. They are the sort of things that when you really start to work on your car you find things that are worn out. I suspect that the original owner used a donor car for everything and didn't care if parts were worn.

I am getting it sorted though. Cars been off the road for 3 of the 5 months I've owned it. Only got to drive it about 5 times to work when I found the cracked heads.
Larry@Graffiti

Post by Larry@Graffiti »

Keep the manual rack and long steering arms, but - disassemble the rack and shorten the housing (only) 25mm in the centre. Reinforce and weld back together - that moves the steering stops in 12.5 mm each side and there are enough teeth on the rack to allow for the extra movement - turning circle cured and ackerman retained.
Larry@Graffiti
55 International

Hello Larry@graffiti

I still have the power rack in the shed so I can practice on that. The VL manuals are getting harder to get.
Will have to unfortunately get it welded by someone else so I will clamp it for the test.
Thanks for the advice.

Hello Mudgy

I measured the turning circle today and it's 18 meters so I am within the laws. Thanks for that tip.
Mudgy
Old Hand

Post by Mudgy »

No worries. Good to see you sorting out the bugs.
Good Judgement comes from experience....experience comes from bad judgement.
Andyd

Post by Andyd »

Another way to get a smaller turning circle is to see whether the steering arms can be mounted further forward, ie, will there be enough meat in the caliper adaptor or similar to allow the steering arm front bolt hole to be mounted onto the adaptor, therefore "shortening" the throw required.....have seen this done on 40/50's Mopar front ends, not sure whether it may work on your setup but worth checking........andyd
55 International

Hello Andyd

Wow that is a thought. I will check it out.
Fitter

Post by Fitter »

Hi, have you thought about spacing the shorter hq arms in to get your Ackerman right. Have seen cut down hktg arms used as the spacer with hq arms and longer bolts. Apparently works well and fairly straight forward to do. You may need to shorten your rack ends to make up for it.
55 International

Hello fitter

Spacers? Sounds good.
I thought of spacers that were wedge shaped to bring the HQ arms in but thought it might be illegal
Longer hi tensile bolts through the HG arms might work I will give it a shot.

Thanks
YellowUte

Post by YellowUte »

Btt
34 tub

Post by 34 tub »

Hi
Shorten the rack housing and re mount the rack and adjust the steering shaft, this will be the quickest and Safest method.
You may never get your Ackerman angel exactly correct as you are using a mix match of parts from various vehicles.
46 deluxe
Old Hand

Post by 46 deluxe »

This is a seven year old thread . :D :D :D
scott