Help from the wiring Gurus.

Go here for posts about rebuilds, parts and problems
zuffen

Help from the wiring Gurus.

Post by zuffen »

I can usually sort most wiring issues I came across on vehicles but I have one that has me stumped.

My son has a MightyBoy that I have fitted with an SR20 Engine and running gear out of a Pulsar. There's a Thread in the Shed about it.

My problem is the car uses half an N14 wiring loom and half an N15 loom. He wanted white faced Nissan instruments and this necessitated the N15 loom for the engine and dash.

Nissan saw fit to change the way they ran the sparks from and earth return system and a live return between the N14 and N15.

My problem revolves around the windscreen wipers/washers.

I have the wipers working off the standard switch in all the modes it should by a bit re-wiring the wiper motor.

The problem is the washer motor. Because the switch is working in reverse the washer feed is always live (has 12 volts on it 24/7) so when you toggle the switch it cuts the power, the opposite to what you would expect.

Now we would all just go run the cable from the switch to the washer pump, ground the other side and job done.

If I do that the wipers won't park as the motor is being grounded through the washer motor.

I thought aha use a relay. Nope don't work, as the wiper motor sees ground through the coil in the relay and won't park.

Short of putting a separate button in to operate the washers, I'm at a loss.

I'm open to any and all suggestions. Even the wacky ones.

I had thought about supplying a handheld spray bottle you could lean out the window and spray the water :D
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
olfrt

Re: Help from the wiring Gurus.

Post by olfrt »

G'day Rod.
Are you aware that you can get 'normally open', and "normally closed" relays. As in normally open require power to close to complete the circuit, and the others require power to open the circuit. Hope it helps.
To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

Yes I tried an NO relay but the switch wire goes to ground through the coil in the relay.

I thought I had the answer with the NO relay but no it didn't play along.

The problem is the permanent 12volts energises the relay and goes to ground.

There is a solution of just using a momentary switch to trigger the washer pump but that isn't how i would like to see it done.

There must be an answer. I hope.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Split the relays into two circuits (one for washer, one for wiper) and diode the wiper earth so it cannot backfeed?

Cheers,
Harv
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

That's sort of funny Harv.

I put a diode in the washer circuit this morning and I'm pretty sure it will work.

I need to do a bit of re-assembly to test it all but hopefully you're right.
jeffa
Old Hand

Post by jeffa »

Yes, I was going to siggest a diode in series iwth the washer motor. Let's know how it goes.
Yeah. I've changed my signature. The old one was out of date...
What if climate change IS a hoax, and we make a better world for nothing?
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

It didn't like the diode idea.

Either it went straight to ground, and made the wipers run, or wouldn't pass power to the pump and ground.

At this point I may just fit a button that operates the washer pump.

That way if you flicked the washer setting on the original stalk it would give a few wipes for light rain. It still has an intermittent setting.

I've spent the day finding the trip wire for the horn relay and getting the instrument cluster to light up.

The problems stem from the melding of the 2 Nissan looms. I should have purchased the entire loom out of an N15 and it would have been much easier, but at the time I couldn't get one.

If it didn't exercise the brain we wouldn't build these things.
turns
Old Hand

Post by turns »

Mudgy was/is an Auto Electrician in his past and should have some ideas.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly"...............Morticia Addams
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

So everyone knows the (my) solution, I ended up installing a little black button on the steering column shroud, that no one will notice.

When pressed water sprays on the windscreen.

If you want wipers move the lever. You can do it one handed and it works.

The upside is I now have a 1 wipe feature to go with the intermittent wipers or I can hold the lever for a second or so and it gives around 5 wipes.

Flick the lever into the old wash position and it gives one wipe and parks.
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

Sounds like a good solution.
Marcus

To try where there is little hope, is to risk failure.
Not to try at all, is to guarantee it!

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

I just read this one. I could have suggested using the intermittent feed position whenever you need to power the washer motor for a clean. Intermittent for part of wiper operation was a feature that we did without for decades of motoring. I have a US 66 Fairlane that has two horizontal dash levers for the wipers. Left one is "washer" and activating it does squirt and start the wipers, Right one is wiper only.....single speed. Must see what I can do about that later
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31