What front shock absorbers to use on XJ6 S11 ?

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Re: What front shock absorbers to use on XJ6 S11 ?

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Interesting read. The spec for the VW oil filled shocks are compressed 255mm and 390mm extended. The VW gas shocks that I have are in inches 10.5 and 16.25 converted to mm 266 -412. Certainly plenty of travel. 135mm and 146mm respectively. Looking at the weight figures. The VW has a torsion type set up front end no doubt related to the virtual no weight front end of the vehicle. But the Jag has weight applicable heavy springs.
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
enjenjo

Post by enjenjo »

You have to take into account the difference in mounting angle. To make a valid comparison you have to compare the valving of the Jag shock to the VW shock, and take into account the front end weight of the two vehicles.

I am more inclined to think that the front springs for heavier Jaguar application makes more difference than the shocks. I have not been able to come up with information in the wire size, free length, and installed height to make an educated guess as to what springs you need on a lighter car.
People who think they know it all, bother those of us that do.
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

My install in our 49 F1 Pickup rides fine. The lower control arms are angled slightly down . The VW shocks at ride height are 305mm between upper and lower bush eyes. If you go back to my prev post giving the closed and extended specs, they are sitting roughly mid travel. My upper mounts are the brackets fabricated by "TopRodz" . The shocks and mounting method have long been used by Col Bates during his decades of being in the rod construction industry.
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »