Chevy artillery rim differences.

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
thatold.chevy

Chevy artillery rim differences.

Post by thatold.chevy »

Wow! What an explosive topic to research.

I'm hoping people can correct or clarify my findings here.

It appears that from 35 thru 36, as Chevy decided that artillery rims were to be the thing, adopted no less than THREE separate sizes for these years.

Now I'm not covering 15in artillery rims because we know the sizes of those.

I'm specifically talking about the 16 and 17 inch rims.

So 1934 thru to early 1935 got the 16x4.5 size for the 6 lug, and 16x4 for the wide-5. I got that one.

35 to 36 though, things go nuts.

If you ordered a Chevy Master Standard you received a 5 lug, 17x3.75 - tyre was a 17x5.25.

If you ordered a Master Deluxe, you received the 17x4.5, but 6 lug - tyre was a 17x5.50.

If you ordered a half-ton FB, you received a 6 lug as a 17x4.5 with a 17x5.50 in the USA and Canada.

Export markets, however, appear to have received a 17x5.0 and multiple stories abound of South Africa and Australia fitting 550/575 x 17.

I'm also finding stories of many trucks having 17x4.5 front and 5.0 rear, explained to me that as wheels were bent, the big ones would go on the back and sedan rims used for the front.

What did Australia get? I've seen two sets now, one 17x4.5 and one 17x5.0.
toprodz
Old Hand

Re: Chevy artillery rim differences.

Post by toprodz »

thatold.chevy wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:42 pm Wow! What an explosive topic to research.

I'm hoping people can correct or clarify my findings here.

It appears that from 35 thru 36, as Chevy decided that artillery rims were to be the thing, adopted no less than THREE separate sizes for these years.

Now I'm not covering 15in artillery rims because we know the sizes of those.

I'm specifically talking about the 16 and 17 inch rims.

So 1934 thru to early 1935 got the 16x4.5 size for the 6 lug, and 16x4 for the wide-5. I got that one.

35 to 36 though, things go nuts.

If you ordered a Chevy Master Standard you received a 5 lug, 17x3.75 - tyre was a 17x5.25.

If you ordered a Master Deluxe, you received the 17x4.5, but 6 lug - tyre was a 17x5.50.

If you ordered a half-ton FB, you received a 6 lug as a 17x4.5 with a 17x5.50 in the USA and Canada.

Export markets, however, appear to have received a 17x5.0 and multiple stories abound of South Africa and Australia fitting 550/575 x 17.

I'm also finding stories of many trucks having 17x4.5 front and 5.0 rear, explained to me that as wheels were bent, the big ones would go on the back and sedan rims used for the front.

What did Australia get? I've seen two sets now, one 17x4.5 and one 17x5.0.
Sorry I don't know the answer to the question, it seems like a mine field of options. they are a great looking wheel
sorry to hijack your post
I am on the hunt for a couple of sets of the 1936 17" versions preferably with the 5 stud, 6 stud could be modified to suit,
If you know of any, prefer in Victoria but from anywhere in Australia would be considered
Thanks
Regards
Peter Gough
FOUNDING MEMBER #24 OZ-E-RODDERS ROD & KUSTOM CLUB
thatold.chevy

Post by thatold.chevy »

I do know of a set but the guy got ripped off buying them and is only happy to part with them if he can further impart his poor financial decision onto the new purchaser.

It's an absolute minefield for this particular era of Chevy, especially for exports. I don't know if they just exported the centres and they were re-riveted to new bands, or they were manufactured locally, or exported as is.
thatold.chevy

Post by thatold.chevy »

I do know of a set but the guy got ripped off buying them and is only happy to part with them if he can further impart his poor financial decision onto the new purchaser.

It's an absolute minefield for this particular era of Chevy, especially for exports. I don't know if they just exported the centres and they were re-riveted to new bands, or they were manufactured locally, or exported as is.
jeffa
Old Hand

Post by jeffa »

This might help, both "thatold Chev" and Toprodz.

My 1936 FB Standard Chev roadster (Holden body) came with 17 inch artillery wheels, most likely 4.5 inch.
The tyres on it were 5.50 X 17. Obviously wouldn't be original...
They were 5 stud, Holden spacing (as in FB to HG).

I gave/swapped/sold the set of 5 to Dulmally on here a long time ago. Not sure of his whereabouts now. He lived out west of Sydney somewhere.
Maybe someone else on here knows him? He (then) worked for Fujitsu in North Ryde.
Yeah. I've changed my signature. The old one was out of date...
What if climate change IS a hoax, and we make a better world for nothing?
thatold.chevy

Post by thatold.chevy »

Thanks jeffa. I'm also wading through pontiac crossovers as well, seems many think that pontiac 6 studs are chevy, further messing with info.

The 17s on the mid-30s sedans aligns with my findings too - I think 4.5in width at that size was the only option available for all providers of 17in artilleries in Oz.
toprodz
Old Hand

Post by toprodz »

I recently found some 1936 Chev Artillery wheels, I have 4 coming from Queensland at some stage, I also found 6 locally in Melbourne, which I am informed that they are late 35 chev as they are slightly different to the 36 chev ones, The hub caps are held in with 5 spring clips whereas the later ones are held in with a ring on the inside of the rim that i believe the hub cap slips in between.
The good news is that the inside of the original hoops are 392mm which is the same size as the new aftermarket hoops, which are available in 4.5", 7", 8", 9" and 10", I picked up a used 9" bare hoop today, just need to find an appropriate tire size to suit, hopefully a 285/60 x 17" which are about 30.5" tall to try under the back guard of my Jailbar sometime soon.
Here are a couple of photos
This is the difference between the old and the new version :D
The center is just tapped in place with about a 6" back space at the moment, they will probably end up around 4.5" back space.
I am loving the look so far as I have been looking for some of these for around 5 years and am happy that the plan is coming together
Regards
Peter Gough
FOUNDING MEMBER #24 OZ-E-RODDERS ROD & KUSTOM CLUB
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

Look really good in the wider rim.
Marcus

To try where there is little hope, is to risk failure.
Not to try at all, is to guarantee it!

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
Sly Fox

Post by Sly Fox »

They look great Pete, your patience has paid off.
With increased dish they will look even better.
51 Dodge Custom & 63 EH Ute - Dare to be different