Re: XJS Jag fornt spring rates ????

Post by FRANK BASILE »

My front bumper is 220mm from ground.Image
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
46 deluxe
Old Hand

Post by 46 deluxe »

My front bumper is 150mm off the ground Frank , but i am gunna go back to 70 series tyres on the front and see how i go .
scott
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Looks good Scott. I am running 15" 70 series tyres. My bumpers are 38 Chev Sedan. I had them in the shed for about 30 years. Timber bumpers came in from the US on it, Seen on the Avatar photo when it still had the beam axle
46 deluxe
Old Hand

Post by 46 deluxe »

Frank , do you still have any of the plastic shims in with your springs ?
I pulled the 6 cyl springs out of mine and put the v12 springs in, but it raised it another 150mm , so they are coming back out .
I'll install the new 6 cyl springs i have , but this time will install the 2 shims per side that was originally in it that i had left out .
scott
pilot Dave
Old Hand

Post by pilot Dave »

you just love removing and refitting those springs Scott its your fav job :twisted: :lol: :lol:
gone are the days when i sold lowered springs from my speed shop in old days mate 1.5" or 2" lower cut coils and repainted :lol: :lol:

cheap too look at my prices :lol:

oh and your effy is superb mate well done on the build

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1-DNj8eSf0
46 deluxe
Old Hand

Post by 46 deluxe »

Yeah Dave i'm getting real good at it . :D
I'm gunng put the new 6 cyl springs in with 3 plastic shims per side , from all i can find on the net it should lift the front about 1 inch .
scott
pilot Dave
Old Hand

Post by pilot Dave »

yeah well hurry up you have another one in the wings i want to see finished before i fall off my perch :lol: :lol:

BETTER CHANGE YA AVATAR TOO THATS OLD HAT :lol:
46 deluxe
Old Hand

Post by 46 deluxe »

I tried to update my avatar , but couldn't remember how to resize the image as the file is too big . :D
scott
pilot Dave
Old Hand

Post by pilot Dave »

I was told you can do it in post images but of course you know not to ask me how ?????? havent you got any 10yr olds near you to ask :D
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Trying to remember the shims Scott, not knowing if in or not. Over the years when these vehicles were worked on anything can happen.
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Aside to Dave. Looking at the "go domes" those higher FX-FJ prices would be due to the stock wheels? They had requirement for a larger brim and dome diameter. Remember well,as my dad was a metal spinner by trade and spun some up for my mates older brothers who had FX/FJ back in the mid 60,s. Spun them from aluminum. Made me an adaptor back in 73 for the spare wheel on our 35 Coupe. I had a standard 14" Falcon rim and the adaptor was retained by the lug nuts and allowed the stock 35 Ford locking cap to be used.
pilot Dave
Old Hand

Post by pilot Dave »

yes Frank they were huge for early fx/j.s i was partners in DRAGCHIEF speed equipment at one stage we manafactured our own go domes/wheel nuts.extractors etc etc ahhhhh the good old days :D
i changed the wide 5 bolt pattern on boot of the pilot and fitted the late ford whl pattern to mount the wire wheel i used parts from a 35/6 whl cover which i hinged to drop down to remove the whl
i had one of those ford locks for spare wheel but never used it my dad had one on his 34 sedan what seems like 100yrs ago
oh nd you would remember the VW go domes were same design as early holden just different size
go domes were a hot seller back then lol
theres a set on my old race/dd FC from back then and im sure you would remember the ld radio unit in that car the valve set was bolted to firewall inside and had a remote face connected by cables in dash
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Those old valve radios. Vibrator power supplies to supply 150+ volts for the HT supply to anodes and huge current draw. The best came later. "Hybrid" using 12v direct operation valves with transistor audio stages. Warm up time was pretty quick. Those radios back then had greater sensitivity to pull in distant stations. Memories alright. looks like mid to later 58 plates. The grille looks neat, I had an FE and pulled the grille bars completely. The center was flat steel with punched diamond mesh from the hardware store. Painted it silver. Removed the over riders from both bumpers and trimmed the rear number plate surround to fit on the boot lid.
pilot Dave
Old Hand

Post by pilot Dave »

yes Frank my dad was into radios and TV,s he built a few tvs in 1955 before we got it in 56
we used to get test patterns and a few other things they sent before starting up
he rebuilt that radio in the car
that pic was taken in braybrook late on sunday after i had raced it on that weekend
i had about 500 NOS radio valves still in boxes from my dads stash
he worked for the PMG from a 13 to 67 he was boss of nth melb exchange when he retired
the tvs he made he used cathode ray tubes so pics were greenish he made 1 inch 4 inch and 7 inch ones
he made all his own testing gear which im giving to a young chap who owns one of my old race cars

this is motor in FC i ran 3 strombergs on it :D