Couple of L300 front end questions.

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
uted

Re: Couple of L300 front end questions.

Post by uted »

You're totally correct in describing the factors involved in spring selection. That's what I'm up against ---- a moving target, I like that :)
Only yesterday did I check the shocks. They were new USA AC Delco replacements I bought years ago for the project. Crikey they're valved hard. Maybe there is part of my problem ? Might end up putting the L300 springs back in and have to find another softer shock -------
I'll investigate Torana ( LH LX ? ) with manufacturers. Some I've spoken to before have no idea of valving specs for their shocks , which is frustrating.
The King Spring technical support crew are very good at supplying dimensions / rates for their springs.
"When better automobiles are built, Buick will build them"
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

I'd give the truck a short run with no shocks and see what the spring rate feels like. Also ride height.

If both those seem OK then I'd look for non-gas shocks so they are fairly soft but with enough resistance to stop it bouncing.

I've been lucky with all my builds that the spring rate I fell onto (no real planning) worked.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
uted

Post by uted »

Update. Front end back together with L300 springs and did as you suggested zuffen and sourced some NOS oil shocks. Ride is now improved although still a touch too stiff, but OK for now. Also changed out the bump stops for softer ones and gave a bit more air gap. Next time out I'll use something to get an idea if the bump stops actually get touched.
"When better automobiles are built, Buick will build them"
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

A bit of blue tack on top of the bump stop landing pad works well.
Marcus

To try where there is little hope, is to risk failure.
Not to try at all, is to guarantee it!

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
michael037

Post by michael037 »

I know I have arrived at the party a bit late on this one, but a number of years ago there was a 40 Ford Ute put back together here in Wagga, and the L300 front end was fitted with the following Pedders brand springs and shocks.
Shocks part # 8001P
Springs part # 2023
This vehicle seemed to handle fairly well, and I did drive it a couple of times and it went down the road well.
Regards Michael
46 deluxe
Old Hand

Post by 46 deluxe »

That comes up as a lh - uc torana front spring , good to know .
scott
mercury mitch

Post by mercury mitch »

I looked at VS Commodore rear springs are same diameter as Mitsubishi 2 ml thinner steel and slightly longer
Life is a learning curve, endevour to learn something new every day jees I hope I never get alz alz alz alz
jeffa
Old Hand

Post by jeffa »

Is that the VS with IRS or live axle?
Yeah. I've changed my signature. The old one was out of date...
What if climate change IS a hoax, and we make a better world for nothing?
mercury mitch

Post by mercury mitch »

Plop sorry V H sedan rear
Life is a learning curve, endevour to learn something new every day jees I hope I never get alz alz alz alz
49studebaker2r5

Post by 49studebaker2r5 »

Im currently in a similar situation with my project, but mine is a long way from being on the road. Ive got some new v8 hg super lows in the shed that I was going to cut down but have also had torana springs suggested. Im looking at going coilovers (viking brand for hg or torana, rang CRS today and they said the kits are the same spring rate etc just the amount of drop is different between models) to try and eliminate some of the guess work and cutting coils if I can, its got cut standard l300 springs in at the moment. Only problem is the on installed photos of the coilovers look like they might be on the tall side. A mate has some stock height hg v8 springs I might try before coughing up a heap of $$$ but how much clearance do you guys have from bump stops? Ive got mine trimmed right back. Even with the Stubtech 2” drop spindles, the wishbone isn’t that far off paralell with the ground at what I was hoping for ride height wise. I know I will have to wind it up a fair bit from that to give more travel.
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

My bump stops are cut down around 30mm.

I have King Spring L300 springs with 1 coil removed.

Ride is quite good and it doesn't bottom out.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
49studebaker2r5

Post by 49studebaker2r5 »

Bit the bullet and trial fit the HG v8 wagon/ute super lows fully expecting to have to trim them and they fit perfect as is, exact ride height I’m chasing. Saved $900 on coilovers. Still need to get some for the triangulated 4 link in the rear when I get around to it though.

Zuffen, roughly how much of a travel gap between your bump stop at static height? I might be over estimating how much I really need in there.
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

That I can't answer just a the moment as the car is hanging off a two post hoist. It has been since April!

From memory I have around 50mm.

Bear in mind if the bump stop hits the first few MM of it isn't going to be rock hard.