OLD SPEED EQUIPMENT

Go here for general posts relating to Hotrods and Customs, Pre 71 only!
pilot Dave
Old Hand

Re: OLD SPEED EQUIPMENT

Post by pilot Dave »

Sudsy wrote:
pilot Dave wrote:
zedman8 wrote:Dave, being an old fart (73) I dont remember the guys name but he would have been in his sixties ,he was an absolute genius with su's and reasonably priced about $20 to get all three firing correctly
cheers
mike
Mike i vaguely remember someone too buggered if i can remember his name or where he was it may or may not come to me :roll: :lol:
my mind keeps going back to a place in the city area i cant remember the street i think the area where wade camshafts were ??
I vaguely remember buying some SU parts when I was setting them up for the Harley from a place up that way. Though I thought it was top end of Elizabeth st across the road from Brians speed shop roughly.. They could have had a workshop out the back with access from the street behind. I never went out the back
i lay the blame for my memory loss on you Bob for forcing me to pickle my brain back then :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1-DNj8eSf0
zedman8

Post by zedman8 »

He was in little Latrobe street about 5 doors down from Elizabeth street looked like an old shop but with
a roller door that opened up his work shop
Cheers Mike
pilot Dave
Old Hand

Post by pilot Dave »

zedman8 wrote:He was in little Latrobe street about 5 doors down from Elizabeth street looked like an old shop but with
a roller door that opened up his work shop
Cheers Mike
better memory than me Mike
you would remember the org vanguard spares too and when WL Ryans had those ..forget what you call them...flying gizmos they sent your dough to girls upstairs and receipts came back
and repco owned the artillery hotel there
zedman8

Post by zedman8 »

Dave ,theres a store in Tassie that still had one of those flying money gizzmos We were over for the street rod nationals in 2014 from memory in this town all the shops had murals on them Great place Tassie went there twice 2008,2014 and loved every minute
cheers
mike
pilot Dave
Old Hand

Post by pilot Dave »

zedman8 wrote:Dave ,theres a store in Tassie that still had one of those flying money gizzmos We were over for the street rod nationals in 2014 from memory in this town all the shops had murals on them Great place Tassie went there twice 2008,2014 and loved every minute
cheers
mike
Mike that would have been Sheffield mate i have never been there must do it I didnt know those gizmos still exisisted in the world :D
i havent been able to fly for 2 yrs almost to the day since they operated on me in hobart only way for me to get over to Melb is on the barges
cheers Dave
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

I used to love going into Ryans and checking out all the different stuff they had. I spent a fair bit of my beer money on tools there
Regards Bob
pilot Dave
Old Hand

Post by pilot Dave »

Sudsy wrote:I used to love going into Ryans and checking out all the different stuff they had. I spent a fair bit of my beer money on tools there

i find that hard to believe Bob :D
i must admit i loved buying a heap of brass fittings there always handy wonder if they are still there i think they sold out RYCO and i think they are all made o/seas the warehouse was in sunshine
Oldcol
Old Hand

Post by Oldcol »

Ryan's closed down a while ago....maybe 10years even....another institution lost, but I'm sure glad I was around in these times to be able to experience so many of the great places we used to have....all the newer generation have is shit places like Autobarn and Supercheap , even Repco is a shadow of it's former self. This must be progress? :lol: :roll:
-------------
Col....

"Works" comes before "looks good", cos "looks good" changes, and "works" works!
pilot Dave
Old Hand

Post by pilot Dave »

yes Col sir Charles McGrath would be rolling around in anger now his son who is about my age and used to manage repco essendon last time i spoke to him about 10 plus yrs ago was selling garage equipment
i cant bring myself to enter their doors anymore i bet you could as i could rattle off popular cars part numbers for air filters points etc these days they look at you stupid ?????????
iwent to repco sunshine yrs ago asked the guy if icould look at his shocker bushes he said what sort of car i tried to explain it was my model T but the shocks were not of a 26 t but were typical pommy lever type hence i needed tolook thru them he said oh we wouldnt have them after a few more words i walked out :twisted: :twisted:

MEANT TO SAY TOO IINET HAS BEEN OFF THE AIR FOR 3/4 DAYS NOW DINT RECEIVE EMAILS
46 deluxe
Old Hand

Post by 46 deluxe »

PM sent Dave .
scott
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

I remember Ryans up the top of Elizabeth St Melb. around 1972 I remember being after a bendix drive for a 283 Chev starter. Cost a mint for one in a "Delco" box, yet a lot cheaper for the same Holden unit sitting behind the glass counter :roll: . Melford Motors across the road not far away used to have clearance tables in the spare parts area. I would have a look on a Saturday morning. Late 60,s had Customline bits like 55 parkers and bumper sections and other surplus stock. Similar to Prestneys the Ford dealer in Sale. Back in 69 I got an engine pipe from them for my 57 Cussy and the guy offers me front bumper ends for something like $2-$3.
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
pilot Dave
Old Hand

Post by pilot Dave »

heres another one anyone remember HAMA exhausts they made extractors and systems they were in coburg
just remembered when talking to one of my old cronies last night about the "good ole days" :D :D
hamas tailpipes for twins on a valiant went under the diff not over RIP Eric

who remembers Brians speed shop his phrase when flogging lukey mufflers was (on tv by the way) FIT A LUKEY MUFFLER AND IT WILL BE A HECK OF A LOT MORE FUN TO DRIVE :lol: :lol:

wHO EVER FITTED A DUAL SYSTEM FROM LUKEY TO AN OHV CUSSO came complete with 3 foot long mufflers which turned the car into the best sounding v8 ever and that includes Smitthys mufflers which i run on my old cusso today

i have some of the old catalogues somewhere for both lukey and hama
Twin Spinner

Post by Twin Spinner »

Yep, if we didn't have Lukey mufflers and 2'' copper pipe (stolen from a building site;-) we just weren't part of coolschool :lol: :lol: :lol:
If it has tits or wheels, you can expect trouble.
pilot Dave
Old Hand

Post by pilot Dave »

Twin Spinner wrote:Yep, if we didn't have Lukey mufflers and 2'' copper pipe (stolen from a building site;-) we just weren't part of coolschool :lol: :lol: :lol:
now theres something i had forgotten about the copper pipe that and my mums brasso and an old sock or pair of reg grundies to polish it with
we had McIlwraiths plumbing supplies in Ballarat rd we would get 18" of 2" for the tailpipe :lol: :lol:
lot of the youngsters wouldnt have heard of that and prob not interested these days :roll: :D

the chap who drove the delivery truck his son i went to school with he and his mate had a channeled 36cpe with leaded in boot in red primer i mentioned in another thread wondering what happened to it it was same time i had my 36 cpe
Harv

Post by Harv »

pilot Dave wrote:heres another one anyone remember HAMA exhausts they made extractors and systems they were in coburg
I've seen a few Holden grey motor twin carb manifolds with HAMA cast into them... is this the same mob?

Cheers,
Harv