Yeti's Construction Thread

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
302-coop

Re: Yeti's Construction Thread

Post by 302-coop »

Theyeti wrote:Well in my defence it wasn't mine when we Started out, just drinkin' beer I didn't know how or why Or what I was doin' there
Just because more made me feel a little better :mrgreen:
Mopar Mick
Old Hand

Post by Mopar Mick »

Oh the nips are getting bigger. 8)

Mick.
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.
Theyeti
Old Hand

Post by Theyeti »

302-coop wrote:
Theyeti wrote:Well in my defence it wasn't mine when we Started out, just drinkin' beer I didn't know how or why Or what I was doin' there
Just because more made me feel a little better :mrgreen:

Mick Kelly wrote:Oh the nips are getting bigger. 8)

Mick.
Gooses :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pariahs C.C.
What Could Possibly Go Wrong
Flagon

Post by Flagon »

There's a few of us with the same model boat Yeti (time/money/motivation/family). Doesn't matter. As a wise person on here once said, "better to be looking at it, than looking for it" :wink:
Not many people "get" me, but lots of them "get to" me
woody28A
Old Hand
Location: "About forty-five minutes southeast of Thibodeaux, Louisiana" or "Hobbitsville"

Post by woody28A »

Mick Kelly wrote:Oh the nips are getting bigger. 8)

Mick.
I'm quite sure 'Greedy' and the boys would love the fact that you remember the lyrics.
What I really love is some of Reg's art work. I'm fortunate enough to have a few of his pieces.
Great songs, great lyrics, great times. :D
Remember this life is a test. If it had been a real life you would have received further instructions on where to go and what to do!!!!!
Mopar Mick
Old Hand

Post by Mopar Mick »

Yeah they're getting bigger. :D

When that song was first released I thought they were referring to "something else". :wink:

I was quite disappointed when I was corrected. :roll:

Mick.
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.
woody28A
Old Hand
Location: "About forty-five minutes southeast of Thibodeaux, Louisiana" or "Hobbitsville"

Post by woody28A »

Mick Kelly wrote:Yeah they're getting bigger. :D

When that song was first released I thought they were referring to "something else". :wink:

I was quite disappointed when I was corrected. :roll:

Mick.
Know what ya mean. :lol: :lol:
Remember this life is a test. If it had been a real life you would have received further instructions on where to go and what to do!!!!!
Theyeti
Old Hand

Post by Theyeti »

I Got tired of being the only person in the world without a bloody GoPro, so I looked into them a little, and thought yea, they're good, but don't really want to stick my hand in my pocket for $290 then I was doing some Xmas shopping and stumbled on this little budget gigga http://www.bigw.com.au/electronics/cameras#brand-3sixt

I'm still the only person in the world without a GoPro, and it's not a GoPro by any means as its only good for 720P where as the GoPro will go up to 1080p and has eleventy squillion other features like wifi connectivity to be controlled by an app on your smart phone

Any how heres my first test run from the other night
[youtube]FsI07LTXQN4[/youtube]
Pariahs C.C.
JAB-AIR

Post by JAB-AIR »

That's pretty cool footage mate but silly me thought you might have fired up on the chev build :)
http://jabairbrushing.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Theyeti
Old Hand

Post by Theyeti »

JAB-AIR wrote:That's pretty cool footage mate but silly me thought you might have fired up on the chev build :)
Sorry mate :D :D :D

2014 is the year of the Chev
Pariahs C.C.
38chev

Post by 38chev »

pick any weeknight. offer still stands :wink:
Pariahs C.C.
Theyeti
Old Hand

Post by Theyeti »

38chev wrote:pick any weeknight. offer still stands :wink:
2014 year of the Chev :wink:
Pariahs C.C.
stevenm

Post by stevenm »

Theyeti wrote:
Funny as - cause its the year of the merc too :wink: :mrgreen:

Can't wait to see the ol chevy project fired back into action :)
Cheers,
Steve

sometimes you blow your nose with a piece of toilet paper......... bet that piece of paper considers itself lucky

www.skmdesign.com.au
JAB-AIR

Post by JAB-AIR »

stevenm wrote:
Theyeti wrote:
Funny as - cause its the year of the merc too :wink: :mrgreen:

Can't wait to see the ol chevy project fired back into action :)
Should be a good year!! looking forward to seeing both of them on the road,I better pull my finger out :lol:
http://jabairbrushing.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Theyeti
Old Hand

Post by Theyeti »

Well, in light of the Tuns thread of why this forum has gotten quiet I think his thread was/ is a good place to start the discussion, and for the most part it has been a positive thread, but my thought is why is all the new activity in that thread why arnt we posting stuff in our own threads or posting up in our existing threads?

Turnes and I have spoken about why I don't post too much anymore, and we'll leave it at that

That said heres a little bit of what I have been up to.

A few years ago an uncle of mine passed away, he and I had a funny relationship, when I was really young I thought he was a tormentitive PITA, but at the same time I was often in ore of what he could do, and as I grew older he passed on skills such as sailing and machineing to me and for that I have nothing but respect and admiration for the man.

He was a fitter and turner by trade, but when things started to become computerised he saw the writing on the wall and went to uni and became a mechanical engineer, but he never forgot his trade, he purchased a lathe and a mill from where he worked and set up a little DIY engineering shop in his shed (Just for him to tinker and do odd jobs for friends and family)

Any how like I said a few years ago he passed away suddenly, and its taken a little while for his wife and children to sort out his shed, they tidied it all up, but never did anything with many of his things (much like my dads shed now)

A few months back my Aunt asked if I wanted his Mill and it was on the to do list to go and get, then last week she asked me again as she wants sort out the shed properly.

So last Saturday morning, the date was set to extract the Mill from the shed, Frank n Beans and I turned up and scratched our heads as to how the hell we were going to get it out, we figured lets hook the engine crane up to it and whilst chanting the Pariaha’s moto “What could possibly go wrong” we attempted to lift it at the 250kg point

The Crane laughed at us

We then re gigged how we were going to do it and used the 500kg point, and it reluctantly agreed

The next part my son captured on video, but I won’t post it up, but we had to take it across the shed floor (in surprisingly good condition for a 60’s fibro shed) but then it had to go down the lead in to the shed which was about a 1 in 6 incline, so with frank pushing and me pulling we set over the edge. The gods must have been smiling (or pissing them selves I’m not sure which) but it coasted smoothly to the bottom of the incline and we managed to turn it around to face the trailer.

Then the fun started, how do we get it high enough to get on the trailer, a few attempts at re slinging it and then my cousin who I’m told came around to help but I think was there for the show  Sugested we un hook the trailer and tip it then put the mill over the tray and lower the draw bar, well bugger me it worked, it took me standing on the draw bar to hold it down while frank lowered the jokey wheel back down over the tow ball but we did it.

The trip home was relatively unsuccessful, but that brings me to unloading it 

Now I had plenty of offers for help but in true Yeti fashion I said she’ll be right.

I backed the trailer in to the shed I hooked the crane back up to the Mill and

I then moved the trailer out of the way and started lowering it

And that’s when things got a little interesting

As you can see the thing started to twist a little, and the next ½ hour or so I didn’t get any photos as it got a little precarious, I managed with the aid of a crowbar and lots of sweat and swearing to move it over to where I wanted it, as I lowered it the strap slipped and the mill tilted backwards, knocking a hole in the front wall of the shed (don’t tell bec I think I got away with it by pushing the tin split and all back in to place  and riveting a section on the inside)

Anyhow, after a few hick ups its now in its new home ready to turn good steal into swarf

I haven’t used this Mill since I was 13 and haven’t used a mill since tafe in 1991 so I’ll be going to google tafe for some pointers before I start her back up, but I’m looking forward to some tinkering
Pariahs C.C.