Grand Willys Project

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
46 deluxe
Old Hand

Re: Grand Willys Project

Post by 46 deluxe »

At the end of the day the quality of paint shouldn't be a worry , it's the quality of clear that goes over it that is more of a worry .
scott
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

Just been hearing that. Good to know. :)
Marcus

To try where there is little hope, is to risk failure.
Not to try at all, is to guarantee it!

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

zuffen wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:45 pm The original colour is way nicer than the Mipa green.

You need to consider if the car will be left out in the weather or not.

If it will live under cover most of the time I wouldn't be too concerned about the "quality" difference as Valspar has an amazing reputation n the marine world and I can't imagine them producing something that isn't equal to or above the industry standard.

It may be less hardy the Mipa but still way above the likes of PPG or Dulux?
Excellent to know. I'd rather have the colour I want. I know DeBeer's also has the formula for the Olive Gold Denim as well, so might just get a spray out done in that to compare.
Marcus

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

Don't short change yourself because a spray out costs money.

For what you will spend on paint another $500.00 won't be noticed but the incorrect colour/finish will.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Harv

Post by Harv »

I think you are spot-on for colour choice. A lot of modern colours look awesome at the time, but do not age well. Hothouse Green and Tiger Mica come to mind... lots of cars sprayed those colours when GMH brought the colour out, not too many seen anymore.

The Harley colour will turn heads, but will age gracefully. It will look stunning in 20 years time. The Olive Gold Pearl perhaps not so much.

Cheers,
Harv
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

What I have done today, after speaking with them, is buy 250ml of the Harley Davidson Olive Gold Denim in DeBeer's and then get them to respray the Mipa test piece we don't like in that. Will have them put a gloss clear over it rather than a matt one that colour calls for.
He said if the painter is happy with the way it sprays, he'd rather do the whole Truck in DeBeers, which ever version we prefer between the two Harley colours, and use their clear as well. He has looked into the quality of the DeBeer's and is now happy that it is on par with Mipa, so long as the test sprays out well.
Marcus

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

Testing out the other Harley colour.
Marcus

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

Not easy, is it.

Whilst in different light either one looks to be darker than the other I think the Pearl is a nicer finish to look at.

Early on I felt the Denim was a bit "grainy", as you pointed out compared to the Pearl.

It's a fairly big vehicle and it should carry the Pearl without any issues.

What are either like for touching up the scratches down the sides from tree branches when out 4x4íng?
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

We have decided on the original pearl version. Least we are positive that is the colour for us.
Wanting to apply paint protection film on the truck to look after the paint work.

https://www.rpmdetailing.com.au/best-pa ... -for-cars/

Hoping it is not too pricey, but could save a lot more on a respray though!
Marcus

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

I've seen the ads for the paint protection and if it does half of what it says it can you will be well advised to get it.
46 deluxe
Old Hand

Post by 46 deluxe »

Wipe on paint protection is mostly snake oil as they say .
Better off getting a film applied similar to a wrap , otherwise don't waste your money .
scott
hewey
Old Hand

Post by hewey »

Great to see it so close to colour, after following the build from the beginning. The chosen color looks amazing in the sun, and will really pop on the curves of the Jeep.

We've just had the PPF film applied to the front end of my wife's new car - but still to early to tell how it's performing. But her old daily was absolutely peppered from stonechips from commuting on Sydney's freeways, so we figured we'd give it a shot.
Pariahs C.C.
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

My son's Renault R22 had the PPF film on it when he purchased the car.

The car was around 6 years old when he sold it and there wasn't a stone chip on the bonnet.
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

hewey wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:24 pm Great to see it so close to colour, after following the build from the beginning. The chosen color looks amazing in the sun, and will really pop on the curves of the Jeep.

We've just had the PPF film applied to the front end of my wife's new car - but still to early to tell how it's performing. But her old daily was absolutely peppered from stonechips from commuting on Sydney's freeways, so we figured we'd give it a shot.
Be interesting to see how it holds up over time. Did it change the colour or depth of the paint at all? Saw a car locally that had some applied to the front of his Valiant only, and it gave a slightly more goldish hue to it and had more depth. No idea how old it was or what brand as clarity varies between them.
Marcus

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

zuffen wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:30 pm My son's Renault R22 had the PPF film on it when he purchased the car.

The car was around 6 years old when he sold it and there wasn't a stone chip on the bonnet.
Wow, that is impressive!
Marcus

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)