leyland p76

Go here for posts about rebuilds, parts and problems
stevep

leyland p76

Post by stevep »

Gday guys
Anyone had experience with this engine. After careful consideration I reckon I could do worse than a 200 hp 340 kg V8 motorvating a glass bodied roadster. My 1/4 calculator says she'll do a 13.4 1/4 mile in a 2000 lb car.
Anyone got any advice etc regarding this motor - for the traditionalists, I can just tell them its a bored out Buick 215!
Thanks

Steve
Brisbane
steve

Post by steve »

Ops that should read 340 lb engine!
Fingers

Post by Fingers »

:) Sounds like a good plan! Are parts readily available for them?
Cost could be a consideration if not.
Richard Seymour
choco
Old Hand
Location: Jerrabomberra, NSW, where, on a crisp winter's morning you can hear the Chevs rusting.

Post by choco »

Dave Maloney in the ACT ran a 29 Dodge Sedan with a P76 V8 for many years. Very easy to fit, light, reliable and powerful as any other small V8. The Landrover V8 quad weber intakes bolt straight on (they were quite common and could be picked up at gas conversion places for peanuts) plus there's plenty of go-fast stuff available from the UK.
Choco Munday, Technical Author, Hot Rod Handbooks
Ph:0412 883 235
Brootal
Old Hand

Post by Brootal »

...and of course, with the quad Weber intake it would be a piece of cake to setup FUEL INJECTION!!!

You see, I'm learning Choco! :D
It's OK, I'm not really from Sydney, I just moved there, but now I'm back in Perth so I'm normal again.

[url=http://www.the-rumbler.com]Ramblers, Hot Rods, Surfing and Model Cars[/url]
choco
Old Hand
Location: Jerrabomberra, NSW, where, on a crisp winter's morning you can hear the Chevs rusting.

Post by choco »

Stout lad, Borris! Good form!
Go to the top of the class.
Choco Munday, Technical Author, Hot Rod Handbooks
Ph:0412 883 235
Brett.C
Old Hand

Post by Brett.C »

A mate of mine in Newcastle had one in a rear engined Kevlar bodied sports car and it went like stink. It had all the usual goodies like high comp pistons, lumpy cam etc. and a fuel injection system out one of Gricey's old race cars. I do remember him complaining about the price of parts though.
Don't worry about the so called "traditionalist".
Just ask them why they're not driving around in fenderless T roadsters with hopped up Model A motors, manual gearboxes and skinny spoked wheels?
Also ask them, why they're listening to rock n roll and not Jazz because Elvis was still in nappies when rodding got started.
There's only one tradition that matters and that's rodding pre 48 cars.
The rest is up to the individual.
Brootal
Old Hand

Post by Brootal »

So I should go get myself a Zoot Suit then bcal? ;)
It's OK, I'm not really from Sydney, I just moved there, but now I'm back in Perth so I'm normal again.

[url=http://www.the-rumbler.com]Ramblers, Hot Rods, Surfing and Model Cars[/url]
Brett.C
Old Hand

Post by Brett.C »

What ever turns you on Brootal :lol:
At the Rat DayII a guy turned up in a pin stripe suit complete with spats. 8)
As I said, it's all up to the individual.
Oh. If you're into zoot suits I suggest you visit this site.
http://www.catscorner.com/zoot.html
bone

P76 motor

Post by bone »

I dont know about getting more horespower from the P76 donk. Ten years ago my dad polished the external surface of the block and heads of a spare motor he had (it was going into a puke green P76) when it was crashed by my brother.

The bloke that bought the car was planning to change his 6 into an eight and bought our car for the parts. He nearly shat himself when the polished motor was thrown in! I dont know what ever hppened to that engin but it would have looked awsome if used in something decent.
ripper

Post by ripper »

Brootal in a zoot suit?
Now there's a picture ;-)
Your bloods Balkan ain't it, not Latino? :-)