45 years of Custom Auto Chassis Eng.

Go here for general posts relating to Hotrods and Customs, Pre 71 only!
Oldcol
Old Hand

Re: 45 years of Custom Auto Chassis Eng.

Post by Oldcol »

pilot Dave wrote:all good Col :D glad its running Craig got my 3 genuine GM tri carb set (1 centre 2 outer)I had would look nice on that but his garage is called "the Bermuda triangle" once it goes in it never comes out I think his dad Ian may have named it that but could be wrong …..again
....nah,that was originally my nickname for Ian's garage, guess it stuck! :lol:
-------------
Col....

"Works" comes before "looks good", cos "looks good" changes, and "works" works!
pilot Dave
Old Hand

Post by pilot Dave »

ha ha I didn't know that well Craig has taken it over now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1-DNj8eSf0
robtus

Post by robtus »

I have a friend in Florida with a shed full of 409 engines and speed equip, he runs a full bodied 62 sedan that pulls the wheels up, same engine at the drags for 20 years.. Ask me if you need his contact details, he is really helpful with those engines.
I never make the same mistake twice, I do it 5 or 6 times just to be sure !!!

Making progress, https://www.muston.com/public_html/34%2 ... _Limo.html
Oldcol
Old Hand

Post by Oldcol »

Thanks Rob, nothing much to do to it, the main thing was to get it going after being laid up for years after having lots of bits go walkabout when the people I bought it from had a marriage breakup and the guy decided to be unpleasant and take enough stuff to make it hard for the lady to sell . Well, I dealt with that although it took a while and now it's up and running again and seems petty decent, only have to get a water pump for it....which I can source locally. Not a good time to be buying stuff from the US anyway, I needed a carby kit for a 4bbl Autolite on my Tank Fairlane Retractable, it tripled in price by the time it got here :shock: . So local stuff is looking real good! :lol: Of course the next thing is...what am I going to do with it? :lol:
-------------
Col....

FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Is your Autolite a 4300 Col? . MLP Carburettors has kits $69. I have been getting 2100 kits off him, they are around $50 He has all sorts available. I picked up an Autolite 4brl from the last Cup Day swap meet for $10 . Intention is to later find a manifold for my Windsors to suit when I get every other task done first before tinkering. .
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
Oldcol
Old Hand

Post by Oldcol »

Yes Frank, and price in the US was around that, but like I said, near tripled with our low dollar, gst and all the other shit they hung on the thing....and the worst of it was I had already bought a rebuild kit from a different source some months ago and when I eventually got around to doing the job,discovered not only did it not include the secondary diaphragm, it also didn't include the hard plastic actuating lever for the secondaries ....and the power valve was a POS too, had to refit the original , ran like the choke was out...so not all USA sourced carby kits are equal.
-------------
Col....

FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Yep the low dollar is a killer. That MLP price is AUD from up Newlands road way in Resevoir . Besides parts, buying vehicles from the US has seen prices go North. I noticed that over in the US , prices have gone up steadily over the past year going by offerings from the same places I look at from time to time.. Must be a realisation that they represent good investment value. That, with the weak dollar and asbestos compliance must have slowed down some dreams.
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
Oldcol
Old Hand

Post by Oldcol »

Photbucket bullshit once again, see if I can get them back somehow....[url=https://s35.photobucket.com/user/krisba ... 1.jpg.html][im
-------------
Col....

Oldcol
Old Hand

Post by Oldcol »

-------------
Col....

Oldcol
Old Hand

Post by Oldcol »

Well, got something working, now just have to kickstart the rest....and to think I pay money to these dungers....
-------------
Col....

hot rod andy

Post by hot rod andy »

Another swap round in the big shed Col....how many times have you jiggled the fleet in lockdown.. :D
Growing old is inevitable..............Growing up is optional............

oz-e-rodder member no 160
Oldcol
Old Hand

Post by Oldcol »

...ha ha...plenty of times Andy, had to get the Woody out a few weeks ago from that spot, that means moving the stuff that's in front.... :lol: and putting it back too....
-------------
Col....

hot rod andy

Post by hot rod andy »

Oldcol wrote:...ha ha...plenty of times Andy, had to get the Woody out a few weeks ago from that spot, that means moving the stuff that's in front.... :lol: and putting it back too....
So....does that mean there is progress on the woody......hope so..been far too long on updates Col
Growing old is inevitable..............Growing up is optional............

oz-e-rodder member no 160
Kris

Post by Kris »

Yes Andy ,it's back on the go...happened like this, if you remember back a while there was a particulary lovely black '46 Business Coupe that I had been building for a long time client and friend,Robert....he fell short on cash as most of us ordinary folks do at times and we took the car back to his place for a bit of a break. That break dragged on a bit and in the meantime I decided it was time to pack it in, ( the working thing) and we also move up here to the wilds of Warragul. The intention was to get back into the '46 once Rob was ready, but I had the little green pickup on the go (Wayne's car)....and it sort of dragged on a bit too, with an extended stay at the panel shop, then another one at the trimmers...and then the engine went away and we thought it was never going to come back :lol: ....but it did eventually. During that time we'd legged it up here and when we eventually got the car out of the trimmers, we brought it up here to finish off....only the engine was still MIA... :shock: . Some hassling resulted in it being returned and we got on with the job of finishing it off.
......However, by then I was getting pretty toe-ey to get some of my own stuff done, but couldn't really do much 'coz the shop was full of painted , trimmed and clean car. Scary to be doing dirty work anywhere near it.....and Rob was well and truly ready to boogie on the '46 again. And ,I was not all that excited about taking on another job. So.... son Dale who now lives just up the street from here , has for a while been doing some pretty good resto and modified car work on a part time basis, as well doing his chrome windscreen business. Logical thing to do was handball that job to Dale, which Rob was happy with, and it's been progressing pretty well since then. The '46 still needed all the front panels tidied up and painted, and Dale has a pal who he had do just that, and it has come out like a work of art. So I got all excited and figured that he'd be the right guy to do the panel and paint on the tin bits of the Woodencar ( bet you were wondering if I was ever going to get to the point :lol: )....so I went down to good old Bayswater and spoke to Dan and his partner, and they were happy to take the job on. So off back home and extract the Woodie from it's spot down the back, sneak it in beside Waynes car which we buried in blankets ....and jumped back into the metalwork where I left off a few years ago. Naturally it took longer than I figured, but with a bit of thrashing away I got it sorted and trucked it down to Dans for massaging and colour....where it is now...Shit ...all that bs and I'm logged into Kris's computer page...just mentally cross out Kris and put in Col...cheers.
Kris...

God must love stupid people, cos he sure made a lot of 'em :-) !
jailbar joe
Old Hand

Post by jailbar joe »

there is a name for your problem....but i forget what itn is :shock: :roll: :wink:
cheers joe

if you do nothing then nothing happens