CARPSPICS - If history & variety bug you please don't enter

Go here for general posts relating to Hotrods and Customs, Pre 71 only!
7cylinderHEMI

38 coupe

Post by 7cylinderHEMI »

Micks old 38 coupe was bought as an original stocker with 6 figure enamel plates from a car yard by Wayne Imalach ,late 60s ,he put the body on a shortened cusso chassis but never finished it,apparently it was bought with the engagement ring money so was never popular there, traded for a rusty EH wagon in 72 to Tom Bartlett in Geelong who managed to get it going and reg. then to Brian Flynn in Warnambool for $1100 without the enamel plates he painted it the aquq color ,saw a few owners over the years inc. Mick ,whereabouts now unknown ,
Oldcol
Old Hand

Post by Oldcol »

Carps wrote:Some more from Custom Chassis Design.......

Melbourne Hot Rod Show 19?? Ken Hales 34 tub in the Western Annexe.

....thanks for the pics Pete , that one of Ken's '34 is before the big rebuild.....do you remember how many hours we sunk into that to get it finished in time for the Rod show? ( while Ken was off playin' in the sun)..... :shock: :lol: ....glad I don't do that silly stuff anymore.... :lol: :lol: .....
-------------
Col....

"Works" comes before "looks good", cos "looks good" changes, and "works" works!
mick

Re: 38 coupe

Post by mick »

7cylinderHEMI wrote:Micks old 38 coupe was bought as an original stocker with 6 figure enamel plates from a car yard by Wayne Imalach ,late 60s ,he put the body on a shortened cusso chassis but never finished it,apparently it was bought with the engagement ring money so was never popular there, traded for a rusty EH wagon in 72 to Tom Bartlett in Geelong who managed to get it going and reg. then to Brian Flynn in Warnambool for $1100 without the enamel plates he painted it the aquq color ,saw a few owners over the years inc. Mick ,whereabouts now unknown ,
I bought it off Don McKenzie, who I think bought it off Gary Pring.
I paid $6,000 for it, spent $2,000 on it and sold it for $10,000, had a lot of fun in that car, and I have fond memories of it.
I have also wondered where it is now.
I was speaking to Ray McDonald at the Nationals about a 38 coupe he has in his workshop at the moment, and I have a feeling it may be the same car.
Rego was LVN 173
If you see it on a trailer dial 000 its probably stolen.
mick

Post by mick »

Mick Kelly wrote:Geez Mick,

How could you have let that one go? :o

Bloody beautiful! :D

Mick.
Well Mick. After my Wife had our first child, the coupe did'nt have enough room, so I sold it and bought a pretty neat 40 sedan off Ian Nye.
Got $10,000 for the coupe and stepped into the sedan for $11,500, which had 350/350, HT front end 9" rear, nice paint and trim, it was a very tough looking 40 all I had to shell out was $1,500 for a car that had everything the coupe did,nt, a pretty good deal I thought, but I must admit it would be nice to keep them all.
Though nothing holds a candle to the current one. :D :D :D

You,ve started a grouse thread Carps, keep those pics coming, you might strke a cord with someone else who may have some history to share.
Again. Great stuff. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
If you see it on a trailer dial 000 its probably stolen.
rowie
Old Hand

Post by rowie »

More please Mr Carps!

I get such a kick from seeing photo's of Vintage cars/Rods, I don't really care about the breed of even the build type. Just show me the chrome, more the better.

And you gotta admit, the lines and shapes of pre 70's cars beats anything on the road these days, pre 50's even more so.
"Low Self Esteem Support Group will meet Thursday at 7 PM.. Please use the back door."

Chrysler Restorers Club of Australia
I actually drive my 1936 Dodge Resto-rod :)
Mopar Mick
Old Hand

Post by Mopar Mick »

Mick, I couldn't agree more.

Dosen't hold a candle to your current one!

Nothing will. 8)

I, like I guess many more on here have gotten rid of ones we should have kept.

The 48 Dodge I had many years ago. (I bought off Bazz Fletcher in Alphington).

I am still shitty on myself for letting that on go. :cry:

Then there was the 56 Chev I had. :cry:

If only we could go back to the past knowing what we know now! :D

Mick.
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.
rowie
Old Hand

Post by rowie »

Mick Kelly wrote:
I, like I guess many more on here have gotten rid of ones we should have kept.

If only we could go back to the past knowing what we know now! :D

Mick.
So very, very true brother!
"Low Self Esteem Support Group will meet Thursday at 7 PM.. Please use the back door."

Chrysler Restorers Club of Australia
I actually drive my 1936 Dodge Resto-rod :)
SC00BB

Post by SC00BB »

great Pics mate
What model scanner did you use for these?
Carps
Old Hand

Post by Carps »

dud wrote:carps. did you take pic of bucket as i have one the same that i got from lenice when i bought the car from her. thanks trev
Yup, that morning Chris and I drove it down to the park and I blew a couple of rolls of film on it. Got many more pics in lots of places, shot during the years Lenice and Cookie were together.
Young Carps

My people skills are just fine.
It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.
Carps
Old Hand

Post by Carps »

Chris5.7ltr wrote:Wasn't this car in Mad Max parked outside the the place Goose was eating at before joining in on that car chase?
Dunno, I've never seen the movie, doesn't appeal to me. :shock:
Young Carps

Carps
Old Hand

Post by Carps »

mick wrote:thanks for the pics of Melb, It would be interesting though to retake the photos in the same locations as a comparison.
Fear not, in my box of glass plates are images from pretty much the same locations, shot in the 1890s by my grandfather and more from the 20s and 40s on old celuloid.

I'll send a hi-res copy of the blue coop pic, so you can print it properly.
Young Carps

Carps
Old Hand

Post by Carps »

Oldcol wrote:do you remember how many hours we sunk into that to get it finished in time for the Rod show?
Yeah, I figured this was the year before it was blown apart for the full rebuild.

Remember, hell I still have no fingerprints after all the bloody polishing we did. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And when he wasn't playin in the sun he was out the back havin' a 'smooooke' maaan! :wink:

So you wanna tell the gang where it is now?
Last edited by Carps on Fri May 22, 2009 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Young Carps

Carps
Old Hand

Post by Carps »

mick wrote:bought a pretty neat 40 sedan off Ian Nye.
Reckon there's half a chance I'll find a pic or two of that old gurl somewhere in the pile of slides and neg's. May take some time for em to surfasce tho. :wink:
Last edited by Carps on Fri May 22, 2009 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Young Carps

Carps
Old Hand

Post by Carps »

SC00BB wrote:What model scanner did you use for these?
I thought I was gunna be stuck with a very expensive Epson pro job as the only thing that would handle the large format negs and even larger glass plates. Then just happened to be in the right place at the right time as this was the last HP unit available as the model is to be discintinued. So not only was it the right machine but it was dirt cheap and half the price of the Epson. HP Scanjet 1050 Large Format model.

Some of the slides are a bit ratty or don't scan so well, so Photoshop has helped to bring them back to life.
Young Carps

Carps
Old Hand

Post by Carps »

hotrodmatt wrote:I miss Cokin filters...
I still have a box full of 'em.
There's a handy plug-in for Photoshop (if you are using it) that will pull the colour cast out of the tranny scans. Has a correction for many old emulsion types and can be batch prosessed.
Yeah, Photoshopp has made most of my 'old' equipment obsolete, just got to learn how to do all it can do. I'm a bit slow on that computerised techy stuff. Like I'm only now learning how to use a scanner. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Young Carps