Welcome to lots more new members!

Go here for general posts relating to Hotrods and Customs, Pre 71 only!
Groyd

Re: Welcome to lots more new members!

Post by Groyd »

New to the site. I have a '57 chevy pickup and have been very curious about the jag ifs swaps. Everything I googled pretty much brought me here or the hamb. I'm eager to pick up some tips from fellow members builds and hopefully contribute more than just questions.

Matt
FX Panelvan

Post by FX Panelvan »

G'day All
Another new member although I have been watching and admiring for a long time.
Keen to do a Hotrod project after having done mostly old Holdens previously. I have a 1947 Chev ute to start and just working on plans to get my PTB.
I have got all the paperwork and am now finalising the running gear and motor etc. I am thinking Jaguar front and rear but not sure of the motor / gearbox yet.
Photos when I have a little more to show, and when I work out this site. Cannot post photos at present the attachment link will not let me????
Regards
regards

Brian
robbo0001

Post by robbo0001 »

Gday all,
have read and learnt a lot from this Forum since joining a while ago.
Now that I have finally tracked down and purchased a RHD 56 Chev, to be use as a daily, I figured its time to say post a "G'day."
I have a lot to learn about the vehicle, specifically driveline (350 with T400)...not chasing humongous horsepower just reliabilty.
My family and I have clocked up a few kms in two weeks....and its cruising beautifully. :D
Already done a partial re-wire (also got the 1956 clock working...stoked) and fixed the exhaust.
Hope I don't spam you all with to many questions...love the car and the site.

Cheers
Robbo
FX Panelvan

Post by FX Panelvan »

G'day All

I am working on my plans for the new Ute I bought recently (47 Chevrolet) and cannot quite decide on what drivetrain to fit. I am planning on it being my everyday driver when finished.
I have a late model V6 Commodore that would be fine but a lot of complicated electrics to deal with on this one.
So should I go for a less sophisticated V8? I am interested to hear some thoughts on a choice.
There are many on here that have done it all so to speak.
Any suggestions, thoughts advice, pros and cons, cost estimates etc. would be appreciated.
Come on guys this is your chance to give me the benefit of your vast collective experience.
Regards
regards

Brian
turns
Old Hand

Post by turns »

I don't come in here much, but welcome to all the new members 8)

In my opinion there is much to learn in the pages of this forum

Post pics......pics are good to encourage input :mrgreen:

Cheers Turns
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly"...............Morticia Addams
Dave
Old Hand

Post by Dave »

FX Panelvan wrote:I am working on my plans for the new Ute I bought recently (47 Chevrolet) and cannot quite decide on what drivetrain to fit. I am planning on it being my everyday driver when finished.
I have a late model V6 Commodore that would be fine but a lot of complicated electrics to deal with on this one.
So should I go for a less sophisticated V8? I am interested to hear some thoughts on a choice.
There are many on here that have done it all so to speak.
Any suggestions, thoughts advice, pros and cons, cost estimates etc. would be appreciated.
Welcome to all the new members! Re the above there are quite a few 46-48 Chevs on here, including build pics. My advice would be a V8 and consider LP Gas as an everyday driver. The easiest and simplest way would be to look for a rusty old HQ-WB ute, van or one tonner that still runs well and use the engine, gearbox, diff, radiator and whatever else you can salvage. If you use a HK-HG front end you can use the fronts stubs and brakes as well, though the XJ6 Jag front end is just about made to fit! Good luck.
Dave Petrusma
Davea32

Post by Davea32 »

Hi all,new to this forum lot of good info out there, about to start my 3rd build (A on 32 rails)
I'm on the northside of bris.lookin forward to starting and getting back into the local rod scene
Cheers David
Plymouth Dave

Post by Plymouth Dave »

Hi everyone . I have been viewing this site for a couple of years now but have only just became a member .Lots of interesting stuff to be found on the site and hoping to get some advice as i go along . I have recently purchased a 1950 plymouth sedan to play around with . the poor old thing seems to have more rust than steel . luckily i know someone that can make the sections that i need and i can weld them in . I am in the process of replacing the entire floor and inner and outer sills at the moment . I have had the sills and the floor braces made up and i am just squaring the body and door openings up before welding things in . I will try to post some pictures later and maybe start a thread once i figure out how to post the pictures . Dave .
rx4ord
Old Hand

Post by rx4ord »

Another Dave can only be a good thing.
Got a big project in front of you but I'm sure you will
get lots of help and hints from the site.
An idea of where you are would help. Members from your
area might then be able to drop in and assist with ideas
and beers.
Founding Member of OZ-E-Rodders
Plymouth Dave

Post by Plymouth Dave »

Thanks for the reply .Sorry i should have mentioned that i'm in Werribee , Melbourne. Definitely a lot of work but didn't cost a lot either i suppose and i'm not building a show car , just a cruiser .satin black, 2" roof chop and maybe 2 door or pillarless conversion depending on how things work out . :D . Dave
Dazza67

Post by Dazza67 »

Giday All
I am Darren Goddard, my father Greg Goddard was a foundation member of the Southern Hot Rod Club, worked for Eddie Thomas and Norm Beachy, built Australia's first rail (so we are told), a couple of race cars which we still have, and apparently he has been responsible for the destruction of many 34 ford coups in his early hot rodding career.
My self I am currently building a lotus 7 replica and restoring Dads old race cars, including building a replica of his Dragster.
Cheers
Dazza
rx4ord
Old Hand

Post by rx4ord »

Great to see you on here Dazza. I hope you will
entertain us with a few stories and heaps of pics from
now and the old days.
Welcome

Dave
Founding Member of OZ-E-Rodders
downscars

Post by downscars »

New member from across the pond! We bought up the car side of Downs from Jamie Downs last April. It has been a slow spin up but we are finally building bodies for customers, and adding more options as the months go by. Show season is in full swing for us, and the future looks bright! We are finally building up parts in our own facility as well.

Currently, our bodies are being completed with doors, trunks, hoods, etc, bonded hinged and hung. We are also including power windows and door glass (where applicable) as well as extensive steel and wood reinforcements throughout. Seems are veed out and sanded as well.

We are very excited about the Australian market, and hope to get a few more of our bodies down there in the very near future. We also know there are a few of you who have Downs bodies currently, please feel free to contact us with any questions/help you may need.

Take care,

The Downs Team
Manufacturer of composite Ford and Chevy hot rods, Corvette, Camaro, Cuda bodies and turn key cars.
cdansie

Post by cdansie »

downscars wrote:New member from across the pond! We bought up the car side of Downs from Jamie Downs last April. It has been a slow spin up but we are finally building bodies for customers, and adding more options as the months go by. Show season is in full swing for us, and the future looks bright! We are finally building up parts in our own facility as well.

Currently, our bodies are being completed with doors, trunks, hoods, etc, bonded hinged and hung. We are also including power windows and door glass (where applicable) as well as extensive steel and wood reinforcements throughout. Seems are veed out and sanded as well.

We are very excited about the Australian market, and hope to get a few more of our bodies down there in the very near future. We also know there are a few of you who have Downs bodies currently, please feel free to contact us with any questions/help you may need.

Take care,

The Downs Team

Welcome guys

I am the the proud owner of 2 Downs bodied cars - a c stock height 34 cabriolet and a chopped 33 5W coupe

Good to see the bodies are now being supplied as they were from the original Downs. They only need a few more things to be better suited to our registration requirements.
1. Steel (I use 1/4" x 2" flat) running along the floor from the A pillar to the B pillar and then up over the trunk area so that the body is bolted to the chassis through steel and not glass.
2. Upper and lower seat belt mounts- I run another 2 pieces of 1/4" x 2" across the floor in 2 places to connect up with the side rails above. These give me approved mounting points for the inner seat belt mounts and the seat mounts
3. Fitment of a piece of box section just where the toe board meets the vertical section of the firewall to lessen the engine intrusion into the cab in case of an accident. This box section is handy when adding mounts for false firewalls, under dash equipment etc
4. RHD steering column mount

All of the above are very simple fixes and should not deter any one from investigating a Downs body. I am very happy with mine.

Here is a shot of the floor showing one of the cross pieces and the side rail

Chris
ucmitch

Post by ucmitch »

Just wanted to say Hi, I have always wanted to build a hot rod, after doing the multiple houses at once big mortgages fancy crap everywhere and then the following divorce I have discovered that all that other stuff is rubbish, I just want to have a Hot Rod, I know it will take time I only plan on doing one and I can wait to get started.I Look forward to learning as much as I can from you all