1965-70 Hot Rodding, any photo's and stories to tell?

Posts relating to early (Pre 1985) Hotrodding History in Australia, including Hotrod and Custom Shows plus early Drag Racing, Speedway, Hillclimbs etc.
HOT ROD FRED
Old Hand

Re: 1965-70 Hot Rodding, any photo's and stories to tell?

Post by HOT ROD FRED »

That went through a couple more owners and ended up in my garage late 1999.l did some work on it and sold it again 6 months later.The next owner kept for a few months and then saw what woodys were fetching in the USA,so off it went.Was advertised in the V8 Times (Early Ford V8 Club magazine) a couple of times and disappeared.

Would have loved to hang onto that one.It was very solid,only rust being in the floor.Almost everything was still there 8)
Oldcol
Old Hand

Post by Oldcol »

HOT ROD FRED wrote:
Would have loved to hang onto that one.It was very solid,only rust being in the floor.
.....you don't get much rust in the wooden bits...... :lol: :lol:
-------------
Col....

"Works" comes before "looks good", cos "looks good" changes, and "works" works!
HOT ROD FRED
Old Hand

Post by HOT ROD FRED »

Oldcol wrote:
HOT ROD FRED wrote:
Would have loved to hang onto that one.It was very solid,only rust being in the floor.
.....you don't get much rust in the wooden bits...... :lol: :lol:
Same deal,just called wood/dry rot :| The wood was only good for patterns,but most of the steel was very good :)
David58

Post by David58 »

Thanx guys, I`ve come across some pearlers in my younger days, and I let go of some damn good stuff too. The `37 ute has been restored and now lives at N.Warren, I was going to tow it to the tip. I bought a `47-`48 Super Deluxe 'house' off a guy in Woodhouse Gve. Box Hill N. for $5, in glorious nick but sans mill, he wanted to give it away, but silly me said.."Nah, heres 5 bucks"!! The guy looked like he needed a good meal anyway. I sold that one for $50 3 weeks later, wish I hadnt.
Oldcol
Old Hand

Post by Oldcol »

David58 wrote:Thanx guys, I`ve come across some pearlers in my younger days, and I let go of some damn good stuff too. The `37 ute has been restored and now lives at N.Warren, I was going to tow it to the tip. I bought a `47-`48 Super Deluxe 'house' off a guy in Woodhouse Gve. Box Hill N. for $5, in glorious nick but sans mill, he wanted to give it away, but silly me said.."Nah, heres 5 bucks"!! The guy looked like he needed a good meal anyway. I sold that one for $50 3 weeks later, wish I hadnt.

Hi David ,would the Ute be Howard Jones car?......if it is,it's wearing the front panels off my old '37 Coupe ,Howard bought them when I put the '39 Deluxe front on it.......and the '39 that it/they came off was a freebie, just had to pick it up from Phillip Island. Sure was lots of good stuff around in the early 70's for free or close to it...... 8) 8)
-------------
Col....

David58

Post by David58 »

Yep Col, Thats the one, Howard is my brother. The ute has sure come up nice. I sold my '37 to his son a few years back. I can remember Howard and I scabbing parts off a '38 standard sedan when VFL park was just a paddock. Gee, thats a long time ago.
Oldcol
Old Hand

Post by Oldcol »

David58 wrote:Yep Col, Thats the one, Howard is my brother. The ute has sure come up nice. I sold my '37 to his son a few years back. I can remember Howard and I scabbing parts off a '38 standard sedan when VFL park was just a paddock. Gee, thats a long time ago.
....fuck sake.... :shock: ...I know that car.....opposite and just down the hill, I got the rear bumper irons and ran them on my '37/9 Coupe...... 8) :lol: Also know Mick too ,did the Flathead -C4 auto for his Spinner Convert....
-------------
Col....

FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Talking about vehicles "wondering where they are now".
Around 1970 I had a Model A roadster body , that ended up being swapped to a guy in South Melb way for a 34 Coupe body. This 34 had been channelled was in primer sporting an old rego label, had the boot lid welded and filled, and rear guards moulded to the body. This ended up going to a rodder from Adelaide.
A local in my home suburb, Bill Bedford had a 1960 Chev Impala sports coupe.
This was white and belonged to a Nino Borsari of cycling fame who had an emporium in Carlton.
Bill had been onto him about selling the coupe for a while,and finally when it copped some[not too serious] rear damage he acquired it.
I know he had to lengthen a boot lid in the repair process as it was longer than the then not too hard to acquire shorter local lids.
Frank.
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
David58

Post by David58 »

Yeah Col, I got the grille out of the '38 standard, would be fairly rare item today.
In about '67 or '68 I bought a disasembled '38 coupe for 20 bucks from a school chum named Morrissey from Wattle Park...It came home by trailer loads, had some really good parts and panels, my mates and I had some big ideas but no money nor maturity to do anything with it, sadly a lot got chucked out. I was still at school, and not being the sharpest knife in the drawer, and no patience or perserverance (thats a big word), let it all go. I vaugely remember selling some stuff to Wally Martin at Greensbourough. :x :x :x :( :( :(
Anyhow this Morrissey chap bought a '34 coupe with the $20 I gave him. I wonder what happened with it. I havent seen him or the car since 1968. He used to live opposite the park in Elgar Rd. ?????
David58

Post by David58 »

I saw the Jailbar bus on 'Tin Hunt Pics' and recalled the '56 Ford V8 bus I went to school on, that had a long reverse camber bend to negotiate on the way.. all us boys moved over to the left side of the bus and tried our darndest to get that old sucker to roll over, but it didnt happen. I bet the driver nearly turned white !! :lol: :lol:
Oldcol
Old Hand

Post by Oldcol »

David58 wrote:Yeah Col, I got the grille out of the '38 standard, would be fairly rare item today.
In about '67 or '68 I bought a disasembled '38 coupe for 20 bucks from a school chum named Morrissey from Wattle Park...It came home by trailer loads, had some really good parts and panels, my mates and I had some big ideas but no money nor maturity to do anything with it, sadly a lot got chucked out. I was still at school, and not being the sharpest knife in the drawer, and no patience or perserverance (thats a big word), let it all go. I vaugely remember selling some stuff to Wally Martin at Greensbourough. :x :x :x :( :( :(
Anyhow this Morrissey chap bought a '34 coupe with the $20 I gave him. I wonder what happened with it. I havent seen him or the car since 1968. He used to live opposite the park in Elgar Rd. ?????
Hi David ,I remember visiting a guy who lived along there with a channeled '34 Coupe.....does Neil Morrisey sound right?.......around about that time a mate of mine who lived in Middleborough Rd. brought home a '38 Standard Coupe....a mint original thing with 6 figure rego......think he paid about $15 for it. We all thought it was the ugliest thing ever......he never got beyond pulling it half to bits ,eventually sold it to Gary Wright ,who got it up and running and I believe still has it.....
-------------
Col....

David58

Post by David58 »

I think you're right Col. Neil Morrissey. lived on the corner of Begonia st. and Elgar rds. Has anyone heard from him?
Or the Fontana Bros. of Box Hill, who were absolute Ford NUTS. Eddie, Frank, Joe I think. They were heavily into spinners.
I bought my '37 sedan off their mate Bruce, who lived off Middleborough Rd. at Laburnum, near the railway. He had bought a Pink Tripletone Star, had spent a small fortune on the '37, sold it to me for $400. BIG money in '71.
Another schoolmate from Box Hill named Terry Taylor did up a blue '48 Dodge, Plymouth or whatever, came up really nice.
Sadly I recall chopping one of those big Chryslers up.. with an axe, hell of a job..because that model was considered smack ugly also.
That car belonged to Eddie and Gary Young in Thames st. who ran St.Kilda car Wreckers in Grosvenor St. St. Kilda, they had a swag of NOS. Studebaker parts and panels. I tried working for them for a time, all I got was a rusty FC. Swore me off Holdens for all time!!
Oldcol
Old Hand

Post by Oldcol »

Hi David,that'd be the place,it was a corner block with the garage in the side street. The Fontana's are still around and also still into the early Fords ,usually see them at local swap meets in a group of 3...... :lol: ....and I think it's Eddie who teaches the automotive trim classes at Batman College....
-------------
Col....

FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Some of those street names look nostalgic to me David.
Thames street was a popular thoroughfare for me as part of a journey to the wreckers in Lexton road in the mid sixties "Value Motors" "Macal Wreckers"
Also where I had a bingle. I Tee Boned a new HR Holden .slid into it due to drizzly rain.
The vehicle came from my right at a great rate of knots though. [this situation faulted me]
The occupants were in a hurry ,and seemed little concerned when it came to details,just took mine and took off. Heard nothing more
I figured later that the vehicle was probably stolen. :) :) :) :) :) :)
And me thankfull for over riders on my front bumper.
One 57 Cussy Parker,one bumper, one headlight rim/sealed beam,one front stone tray [all from home stock] and a mild repair/paint on one guard had me as good as new in about 2 hrs.
Frank.
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
David58

Post by David58 »

G'day Frank,
I used to live in Nelson Rd. 2 blocks north of the Hospital, just over Severn St. I knew a guy who had a white '56 Cusso, name of Rick Kennedy, who lived just near me. Think he worked for Box Hill Towing, was a big Guy who sadly died around about '75.
One morning when my mates and I were walking to school we watched in awe when Big Rick lit up the Cusso and just wheelspun
ALL the way up the Severn St. hill, from Elgar Rd. It was the stuff of legends!!
Largely by being so impressed by all this, I bought a pink / white manual Starmodel of a guy from Panton Hill (Fat boy somebody) he told me it had a noisey diff and on the way home I couldnt hear meself think !! I pulled it to bits, found zero oil in the big round thing, with pretty blue razor sharp teeth. Bunged in anotheree, drove it around the block, then off to the girlfriends in Ferntree Gully...Memorable Trip!! I managed to wind it out to 115 mph. (smiths speedo) along the Burwood Highway. What a frightening experience. Everything shook and vibrated so much, I thought my number was up. Front tyres were recaps, rears were worn aquajets, but on 8'' homemade rims. Made it to the g/fs but on the return journey early next morning the brakes locked up outside the Burvale and as the road was damp, she spun through the intersection (green light) about 5 times. I couldnt do much except watch the scenery flash past. Dont know how I didnt hit anything !!