1965-70 Hot Rodding, any photo's and stories to tell?

Posts relating to early (Pre 1985) Hotrodding History in Australia, including Hotrod and Custom Shows plus early Drag Racing, Speedway, Hillclimbs etc.
Oldcol
Old Hand

Re: 1965-70 Hot Rodding, any photo's and stories to tell?

Post by Oldcol »

David58 wrote:G'day Frank,
I used to live in Nelson Rd. 2 blocks north of the Hospital, just over Severn St. I knew a guy who had a white '56 Cusso, name of Rick Kennedy, who lived just near me. Think he worked for Box Hill Towing, was a big Guy who sadly died around about '75.
One morning when my mates and I were walking to school we watched in awe when Big Rick lit up the Cusso and just wheelspun
ALL the way up the Severn St. hill, from Elgar Rd. It was the stuff of legends !!
.I remember Rick....I used to work at Preston Motors in Box Hill ,B/H Towing was right at our backdoor..... 8) ....maybe you remember seeing my '39 Sedan around Box Hill,pic is in PM's yard,behind the Golden Fleece servo......the GTO could smoke 'em the length of Thames St from Station St to Nelson Rd....... :lol: :lol:

-------------
Col....

"Works" comes before "looks good", cos "looks good" changes, and "works" works!
David58

Post by David58 »

Yeah, I think I saw that '39 a few times - nice lookin car, I liked them better than '40.
There was a chap around there, worked at Holeproof or Brooklands or somewhere who changed cars often, mostly prewar Fords and Chevs. He usually parked on the Railway land at the Bowl. He was in the crowd at Box Hill Burgers on a Saturday night, but I forget his name. --- Carter comes to mind.
At that time I was absorbed in wasting time on my wreck of an FC, bought paint from Dustings and painted out the engineroom, and it came up nice, but all that effort was wasted because car was so rusty.
A friend of mine's father worked at Dustings in W/horse Rd. We piled into his company car one weekend and took off to Casey airfield at Berwick. While the folks were busy flying around in his 1937 Auster, my mate and I were tearing about hanging donuts in the car, which was supplied by Dustings of Box Hill,...a pristine gold coloured '64 EH Premier!! - So that must have been mid 1965. 8) 8) 8)
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

It,s a wonder you never saw my Cussy around at the time David .
Green/Grey 57 with a couple of trumpets at the rear.
I used to come across two of the O,Toole brothers of woodchopping fame ,who lived not far from my folks, Patrick who had a maroon star model, and Martin who had a 57 that was three tone with pink/yellow/white. The other brother Laurie had a blue FJ. These vehicles also "haunted" the region.[mainly around the Harp hotel in East Kew]
Not far from the area in Belmore road near the roundabout a maroon twin spinner went out of control and collected a brick fence after the diff locked up , the driver survived that as well as surviving wounds in Vietnam.
Frank
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
Drewfus
Old Hand

Post by Drewfus »

just a little post bump...and does anyone have a photo of Jim Robertson's 34 drag coupe handy? trying to find a shot of it for a friend...

Cheers,

Drewfus :D
Last edited by Drewfus on Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"actions speak louder than words....." & "you can only get an expert opinion from an expert.."

http://www.dayofthedrags.net/
Drewfus
Old Hand

Post by Drewfus »

found it.....although still would like to find any other photo's if people have any...

'Impulse' built and raced by Jim Robertson

Cheers,

Drewfus
Last edited by Drewfus on Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"actions speak louder than words....." & "you can only get an expert opinion from an expert.."

coe1948

Post by coe1948 »

I am pretty sure that there is a bit of name confusion going on here the Impulse 1934 coupe was owned and built by the late Jim Robertson from MT Waverly in Victoria,he was a dedicated oldschool hot rodder hand made most of his parts

Regards Dale
Drewfus
Old Hand

Post by Drewfus »

coe1948 wrote:I am pretty sure that there is a bit of name confusion going on here the Impulse 1934 coupe was owned and built by the late Jim Robertson from MT Waverly in Victoria,he was a dedicated oldschool hot rodder hand made most of his parts

Regards Dale
Appoligies, I was wrong, and yes, that is correct, Jim Robertson built this, got my names all mixed up.

Will edit to reflect the facts.

So, whilst both of these men are 'pioneers' in their own way, does anyone else have any photo's of 'Impulse'?

Cheers,

Drewfus

coe1948

Post by coe1948 »

I will try and get some and post them on the forum

Regards Dale
7cylinderHEMI

Post by 7cylinderHEMI »

The rear section of the Impulse coupe ended up on the back of a coupe in Geelong that was rear ended by a Divvy van in Colac ,Peter Raines did the repair ,i think Sammy Cooper [BADGAS] ended up with the car ,black channeled 34 ,with red buttoned interior ,the bloke that built the car Geoff Matthews was a Victorian Railways Upholsterer in the 70s so buttoned trim was his specialty ,red rattler style,,
BADGAS

Post by BADGAS »

7cylinderHEMI wrote:The rear section of the Impulse coupe ended up on the back of a coupe in Geelong that was rear ended by a Divvy van in Colac ,Peter Raines did the repair ,i think Sammy Cooper [BADGAS] ended up with the car ,black channeled 34 ,with red buttoned interior ,the bloke that built the car Geoff Matthews was a Victorian Railways Upholsterer in the 70s so buttoned trim was his specialty ,red rattler style,,
I brought the black channeled 34 coupe from Geoff Mathews after seeing it for sale in Australian Street Rodding Magazine.
This was my first hotrod.
Mark Fry from Mount Gambier ended up with it and used it for many years after rebuilding it to how it looks today.
Mark sold it to Malcolm Hill over Adelaide way and it is still on the road as i saw it at the Mildura Wintersun Festival this year

LOWFAT with BADGAS
barnsey
Old Hand

Post by barnsey »

bump, :)
surely there are more old pics and stories from 1965 to 70's out there, this thread seems to have stalled and had no updates since 6th of November 2010
324dor

Post by 324dor »

an early pic of Joe Prings pontiac roadster from S.E. Qld.

Kevin Boyds T bucket from Ballina N.S.W.

Please excuse the white section under the second pic. It was scanned from an old photo.
barnsey
Old Hand

Post by barnsey »

cool, great pics thanks for posting.
barnsey
petrolhead

Post by petrolhead »

Bit hard for me I was born in 1965 and my Dads Rod didn't do the show sceen untill 1977
[b]Happy to be living past my "USE BY DATE" as in August 2007 they gave me 6-12 Months to live[/b]
snooze

Post by snooze »

Somebody wanted a photo of "Impulse"

I just realised that the same photo had been posted, At least I took the original photo.
Snooze :D
http://aussierodding.altervista.org/INDEX.html
http://headlampsbybill.150m.com/
http://hotrodindex.atwebpages.com/
http://ozcoetrucks.netau.net/Index.a.html
http://willysbill.imgur.com