1965-70 Hot Rodding, any photo's and stories to tell?

Posts relating to early (Pre 1985) Hotrodding History in Australia, including Hotrod and Custom Shows plus early Drag Racing, Speedway, Hillclimbs etc.
spoggie

Re:

Post by spoggie »

FRANK BASILE wrote:Hi Col.
.. we had what was called the "hobby hut".
This was a hangar dedicated for car repairs/ rebuilds etc,outside was a drive on ramp ideal for doing lubes and box/clutch jobs.
Thanks Frank, for jolting similar memories.

In my otherwise fairly pristine childhood there was a grungy old hole called 'the Bakery'. After school, after quinces & chasy in the creek, we would climb the bank and approach the Bakery, tentatively, and with veneration, for here loitered hoodlums. You'd slink inside, a little square victorian relic, old whitewash, greasy paw- prints. Adjusting to dark, cool oily earth floor, scanning eyes set to a bewildering floor, there scattered junk- Matchless and Ford, bits & pieces of BSA, dirt & oil, spokes, sunken bits & pieces, lying sprockets, lazy coke bottles. Clips, nuts. Chains & chunks of engines, leaning over in the dirt.
Wheels reversed ('in'). Holdens outside with patchy paint, like fresian cows. -Go-fast.
You shut up unless talked to. You'd get a crooked smile,sideways, mutters. You got ignored. Skinny blokes, one , two or three, white t-shirts with oil stains, backs bent. Engine revs, oil smoke, lashing & tink-tink of tools. Never stay too long, important things get done here. Held chin, head bowed, figuring, trying to work this thing out..

This was Tea Tree Gully, corner North -East Road & Elizabeth Street. Chris Terlet, Tony Rich, & a few others. Speedway way was our regular hit as kids, Rowley Park. Only other '66- '70 recall is MacDonald's garage at Grand Junction Road, in Rosewater. Tony Rich later bought thier excellent 8" channeled duece roadster ( it made it's way to Mexico.)
MacDonald's had thier georgeous full- body 392 Hemi slingshot in the Servo window. This was a modern servo, unlike Kipling's dirt floor galv job up at home. We'd walk to the north end of Addison Road, my grandfather & I, then go fifty-odd steps west and stop at the display windows, under the canopy, ogling this gleaming lizard thing, (an A/D). All straight lines & circles, tyres black like shiny new shoes. Red & white, no heap nor hack, unique.
spoggie

Re: 1965-70 Hot Rodding, any photo's and stories to tell?

Post by spoggie »

Apart from the above ( I was 8 y.o. in 1970), I recall being on Holiday in Warnambool or Portland & seeing two custom FJ Holdens cruising low together , one bright red & one bright blue.
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Something amusing.
Early 70,s The Sultans frequented a premises out on the fringes of Doncaster/Warrandyte.
This was known as 'The Barn". From memory it was leased by a member from an aunt or similar relo. It was used as a workshop, storage and sometimes meetings. It had a dirt floor The meetings were sometimes followed by an "interesting film night" by invitation :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .
I remember an end of year party that we hosted, we had a working bee to prepare things, there was a sheep and a pig to bar-b-que .
The sheep was skewered on a steel pole as a make shift rotisserie. We found it to be slipping on the pole.
Some bright spark came up with the fix.
The now steaming carcass was chucked onto a greasy workbench after all sorts of engine and gearbox components were merely brushed aside. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
The legs were held apart to get at the innards, as engine pushrods were inserted through the sides and arc welded to the steel bar.
Problem solved, back over the fire :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .
The head of the pig was seen later passed around with those now relaxed by an intake of amber liquid taking a nibble. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) .

Frank
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
Oldcol
Old Hand

Post by Oldcol »

Hey Frank , I reckon you've forgotten the bit where Zina was swinging from the roof beams on a rope with the pigs head between her teeth.....kind of like a Russian version of Quasimodo .....scary girl that one..... :shock: :shock:
-------------
Col....

"Works" comes before "looks good", cos "looks good" changes, and "works" works!
rx4ord
Old Hand

Post by rx4ord »

Is someone now married to Zina Col? Dave
Founding Member of OZ-E-Rodders
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Was that Barry W ?........Frank.
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
Oldcol
Old Hand

Post by Oldcol »

rx4ord wrote:Is someone now married to Zina Col? Dave
...dunno Dave......did you want a date? :lol: :lol:....and yeah Frank,it was Mrs. Wilson before she was Mrs. Wilson.... :lol:
-------------
Col....

"Works" comes before "looks good", cos "looks good" changes, and "works" works!
JCXR55

Re:

Post by JCXR55 »

Oldcol wrote:OK...I'm holding it up to the 'puter now....see...it's not all that good...only one channeled car ,Phil Williams' Sport Coupe.......and a couple of those old '32's. The Pascoe Drag Team had a line up of 6 FX/J's.....and a Morris Oxford :shock: ...... :lol: :lol:
Are you sure it wasnt a yellow coloured A55 with EJ tail lights? lumpy cam, low, whitewalls with black steelires. Would of been Wayne McGraths car. Pasco Drag team had a few quick earlies.
JCXR55

Re:

Post by JCXR55 »

Mr Model A wrote:more early holdens at Riverside drags circa 1964, a customised version :)
Ken Spences Zephyr in the back ground?
slightlydangerous
Location: The Dusty Adelaide Plains Home of the Mighty Crows & A Slightly Dangerous Dragster

Post by slightlydangerous »

Bought an early HotRod magazine off Ebay .. and stapled to a page Titled .... Apple of his isle... Andy Morris was this photo

hope someone finds it as cool as I do :P

I live life in the fast lane but my hair just couldn't keep up!!

I'm not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings. I'm a drunk, I go to parties
turns
Old Hand

Post by turns »

How did I miss this thread ?? :roll:

8) 8) 8)
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly"...............Morticia Addams
petrolhead

Post by petrolhead »

turns wrote:How did I miss this thread ?? :roll:

8) 8) 8)
You took a left "Turn" instead of a right
[b]Happy to be living past my "USE BY DATE" as in August 2007 they gave me 6-12 Months to live[/b]
324dor

Post by 324dor »

[quote="petrolhead"][quote="turns"]How did I miss this thread ?? :roll:

8) 8) 8)[/quote]

You took a left "Turn" instead of a right[/quote

Well said. :) :) :)
turns
Old Hand

Post by turns »

petrolhead wrote:
turns wrote:How did I miss this thread ?? :roll:

8) 8) 8)
You took a left "Turn" instead of a right
Lol.........I still have about 20 pages to go.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly"...............Morticia Addams
Andyd

Post by Andyd »

Just went thru this thread from the start, great pics and memories.........couple of things.......Al Winters 33 Roadster was found by me at Rooty Hill, a western Sydney suburb when a mate & I went to see an early Holden the mate wanted, the guy said he had an old hotrod in the backyard, we went around the back and there it was, I wasn't interested at the time but told Al, a fellow Chariots Rod & Custom Club member at the time and he picked it up.......the pic showing Al's coupe and Nick Ree's 38 Ford Coupe I think was taken in Al's backyard in Kyeemah where Al lived for a few yrs in the 1970's. The turquoise blue 39 Ford sedan with the Vinyl top was Terry Baileys, not Baker.......and Ray Ellis.........I don't suppose you still have the triple carb intake for the 318 Poly that's shown in your old 29 Roadster?...........lol................gidday mate..........regards.......Andy Douglas