75-77 Narrandera Nats & other random pics

Posts relating to early (Pre 1985) Hotrodding History in Australia, including Hotrod and Custom Shows plus early Drag Racing, Speedway, Hillclimbs etc.
Fliptop ute

75-77 Narrandera Nats & other random pics

Post by Fliptop ute »

Hi Everyone. When I first joined Ozrodders I said that I had pics from 75-77 Narrandera Nats. I thought I knew where I could lay my hands on them but after looking around for them for a while I began to wonder where they were. Turned out that the albums I had them in for ages had started to fall apart, & so my Missus had rescued them from those albums (photo’s had started to stick to pages & had to be cut out to save them) & put them all in a bigger album. Quite thankful that she saved them as if they were to ever become ruined or lost they would be irreplaceable.
Got to go to the 75 Nats when I was only 15 cause my Brother in law Graham, drove me there on the Saturday, my Dad went along for the ride as well & we spent the day there. Anyway heres the pics that Graham & I took. If anyone else has photo’s from any of the Narrandera Nats or stories from those times, feel free to post them here as well.
Fliptop.
The Sedoupe
Essex coupe
Think this roadster was owned by Lyall Newlands from WA, correct me if I'm wrong. Something that I thought was unusual at the time was that someone was cruisin around at the nats in a Rolls Royce, & I think thats it parked behind the roadster.
Thats my Dad in this shot. He was'nt really into cars but he said this one was his favorite, so I took his photo while he was checkin it out.
Always loved adetailed Flathead.
Something Blue Mcdonald Bros. T Bucket (neat car)
Always loved flamed Highboys, but dont know who owned this one.
That will do for now, back with more later.
Old Flatheads don't die, they just get blown.
HYPORX
Old Hand

Re: 75-77 Narrandera Nats & other random pics

Post by HYPORX »

Absolutely brilliant, thanks for sharing.

Pity your albums are feeling it though if you still have the negs, all is not lost.
Look forward to anything else you can turn up.
"Obviously your ambition outweighs your talent" Casey Stoner to Valentino Rossi. 03/04/2011
Flatoz
Old Hand

Post by Flatoz »

Bacca

Post by Bacca »

That is Fliptop ute on the right at the 77 Nats :D

Got any pics with me in them there?
1930 Chev Tourer & my others here
http://www.ozrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34879&start=0
Bodgy Bros. If we can't fix it no one else will once we have a go!
Fliptop ute

Post by Fliptop ute »

Hi Steve. That is me in that pic with "Skinny" Davis on the left. He appears in quite a few pics I took at the 77 Nats, loved to pose in front of the camera. As for pics with you in them, you must have never stood still for long enough while I took them or you always jumped in your VC Valiant & said you had to head off to where the action was. :wink: :) :) We had a good time at the 77 Nats, was a good spot where we camped in the showgrounds right where all the Rods drove into the arena.
And thanks for the pics Flatoz. That first pic you posted of Graham Webbs Tourer, was'nt it blue when he first got it on the road & then he changed it to the yellow? Will put up more pics soon.
Fliptop.
Fliptop ute

Post by Fliptop ute »

Here's some more pics of the 75 Nats. BTW HYPORX, I have to really look after these photo's cause I dont think I would still have the negatives for them.
Nicely detailed Flathead that was in a channeled A roadster, but it was still full fendered
Liked the style of this highboy, used to know who owned it but cant remember their name now.
Ian McConnel's T C cab. High quality Rod at the time but not on the road anymore apparently.
SA Rod & Custom club Pickup. Nearly bought a 25 Dodge pickup similar to this when I was 15 or 16 for only
$20, but then the owner decided not to sell. Would have been a bargain, & would have ended up being my first rod project.
That's my Brother in Law Graham in that pic admiring the A model bucket. The diff in this rod was a genuine Columbia 2 speed.
The Go Whoa was still in progress when we left that day. There was a black flamed 40 sedan in the Go Whoa that year(think it was owned by Charlie Seaburg), anyway it had the neatest sounding Y block in it that you are ever likley to hear. The sound of that Y block remained etched in my mind for the drive home that day, like a song that you cant get out of your head. Have a pic of that car somewhere too.
Another pic of Ian McConnel's T C Cab. Graham had black & white film in his camera that day.
Neat Chevy Sports coupe. Think it was a magenta colour if I remember correctly. Back with more pics tomorrow. Fliptop.
Last edited by Fliptop ute on Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fliptop ute

Post by Fliptop ute »

Got a bit of time to post some more pics from 75 Nats.
Channeled 34 coupe. used to be quite a few of these around. Popular Aussie style.
Another shot of Something Blue.
Sedoupe
T Bucket with wider than normal body.
Dont see too many of this model around. Love a 34 in any style.
Me checkin out the red highboy.
Enjoy these pics for now, still not up to the ones from the 77 Nats.
Sloper37

Post by Sloper37 »

So the big question is "Where are they now" :?
"IM FROM A RARE BREED, A 37 SLOPER THATS ACTUALLY REGISTERED"
jeffa
Old Hand

Post by jeffa »

Sloper37 wrote:So the big question is "Where are they now" :?
Something Blue:

Now looks like this:

It now belongs to "Nailheadbucket" on here.
(Refueling in Goulburn, the 32 belongs to Grechie, also on here.)

Yeah. I've changed my signature. The old one was out of date...
What if climate change IS a hoax, and we make a better world for nothing?
Fliptop ute

Post by Fliptop ute »

Well there you go Sloper37, jeffa has help you out with where the Buick powered bucket is now, & that 34 Hearse that my Brother in law took a pic of, someone has posted more recent pics of that in HEARSE Pic's, so there's a couple of cars tracked down. I'm sure that there are others on this forum that know where some of the other rods have ended up. Anyway, did'nt get to spend as much time posting pics yesterday as I intended, so here's some more from the 75 Nats.
Daryl Scholz 34 Chev sedan. Nice car this one, had all the mod cons, power windows, power seats, remember reading about it when it was in Custom Rodder.
Bit unsure if this is a Narrandera pic or not. but anyway, its a neat Sports coupe.
I know that this pic was'nt from Narrandera, Graham took this pic at 75 Melbourne Motor Show. There was always a few Rods on display at the Motor Show back in those days. I actually got to go to the Melb. Motor Show in 72 & Con Mantzaris had a couple of his rods on display, The ex Toni Kuchal "T" Truck, & a blue 32 Ford roadster, also a T bucket
Now were up to the 77 Nats, the Go Whoa ran in the other direction that year.

Neat 34 Coupe from WA early one morning, with Wayne "Skinny" Davis posing for the pic.
Couple of neat 38 Ford sedans that were always seen parked together. Back with more later. Fliptop.
Fliptop ute

Post by Fliptop ute »

More of the 77 Nats.
Another early morning shot of T Bucket in the showgrounds.
Graham Webbs T Coupe.
34 Ford Tudor in Griffith on the sunday, think that is Bob Astill's T Bucket beside it.
Sarge Bernetti's(hope I spelled correctly) A Model Tudor from SA, another high quality Rod from that time.
SA Rod & Custom club Pickup cruising the showgrounds.
Loved the paint scheme on this 35 Sedan.Skinny Davis posing again.
Thats all the pics from the 77 Nats for now. Anybody else got Narrandera pics to share?
HYPORX
Old Hand

Post by HYPORX »

Again Des, thanks for taking the time to scan them and post them for all to see.

There has been a few other threads here over the years and, I hope, many more to come that capture early Aus-rodding.
"Obviously your ambition outweighs your talent" Casey Stoner to Valentino Rossi. 03/04/2011
Drewfus
Old Hand

Post by Drewfus »

as per above.....appreciate the effort involved,

Cheers,

Drewfus :D
"actions speak louder than words....." & "you can only get an expert opinion from an expert.."

http://www.dayofthedrags.net/
Fliptop ute

Post by Fliptop ute »

Was no trouble at all to post the pics, may as well put them up where where everyone can enjoy them. Thats the trouble with having photo's in albums, quite often they just get put away in a cupboard & its lucky if they get brought out every one or two years for a viewing. Have had these photo's in my possesion for over 30 years & probably only a handfull of people have got to see them. Have got more random pics from other times if anyone wants to see them.
Somthing comes to mind when I think back to the 77 Narrandera Nats. On the Saturday night there was the story getting around that Rod Hadfield had wheelstanded his Anglia down the main street, there was certainly a buzz around town that it had happened. Guess it was one of those situations where you had to be in the right place at the right time. Did anyone here on this forum actually get to see that happen?
Fliptop.
customjay

Post by customjay »

Hello Fliptop ute
Thanks for posting the pics as these are part of our rodding history that needs to be preserved. A few years back I realized that a lot of these old pics are getting to the end of their natural lifespan and embarked on a bit of a quest to scan and preserve as many of these old pics as possible. I talked to almost everyone I knew and ratted through their collections of old photo books and slide boxes that had not seen the light of day for an awful long time. It has now grown to a sizable collection a fair few of which was used in Larry O'Tools Hot Rod Pioneers book. We in Australia have a very rich Rod and Custom history which is very often overlooked so it would be great to see some more pics.

Thanks Customjay