Doesn't anybody want to build shiny rods anymore !

Go here for general posts relating to Hotrods and Customs, Pre 71 only!
snooze

Doesn't anybody want to build shiny rods anymore !

Post by snooze »

Hi Guys
Over the last few months I have trying to sell a bit of my old car stuff of that I have accumulated over the years.
The funny part is that everything I have sold recently is going towards the building of a non shiny Rat Rod, there are going to be an awful lot of Beer Barrel Grilled Rat Rods out there from A's to 40 Ford Pickup Cabs.
I think between my son Matt and I we have sold 5 38-39 beer Barrel Grilles in the last 6 months and they are all going on Rat Rods !!
What gives, I don't mind the Rat Rod look but are we all going that way.
Going to a Rod run in a couple of years you could be the odd one out with shiny paint. :!:

PS I don't have any 38-39 Grilles left.
Just thoughts
Snooze
http://aussierodding.altervista.org/INDEX.html
http://headlampsbybill.150m.com/
http://hotrodindex.atwebpages.com/
http://ozcoetrucks.netau.net/Index.a.html
http://willysbill.imgur.com
Mr Model A
Old Hand

Post by Mr Model A »

Yes you're right, it's certainly a big trend at the moment, but then that's what happens, someone builds a different car and off we go!
I like the so called rat rods, although some are obviously dangerous, was looking at a photo album on the net ( accessed thru the HAMB ) one of the cars was a model A coupe with lots of motor, rusty body, dodgy chassis, no front brakes etc. etc.
My own preference if for the late forties, early fifties look, there were lots of cars from that era with good, well detailed chassis's, some even had painted bodies.
Fortunately? in our country we have regulations to abide by :twisted: ( no titles, pink slips or short cuts ) Sure they're a pain, no-one knows that better than me, but it usually means a better car in the end.
What do you think? :?:
never odd or even
Brett.C
Old Hand

Post by Brett.C »

It's just a trend that will eventually burn itself out just like all the others have done in the past. Anyone remember when every car was candy apple? Pastel? Pearl? Flake? And so on and so on.

What we need is some kinda product that we can apply over our nice shiny rods that will give them that dull flat look without damaging the paintwork. Then when the trend swings back again we wash the shit off and be back in vogue.

The great thing about trends is that they never really fade away altogether and enough examples survive to act as inspirations for future generations. Just think how boring things would be today without all those trends of the last 60 years. I'd reckon we might as well be restorers if that were the case :roll:

What's going on at the moment is a kind of back to basics counter culture which is quite understandable given the direction the big buck end of the spectrum has been heading over the past decade or so.
But I reckon that this is probably healthy for our sport coz it acts as a kind of safety valve for those that feel left behind as we head towards the $50K mark for an average rod.

I just hope though that we don't end up with an us and them type mentality where both sides believe that "they" are the only "true" hotrodders.

One thing I know for sure though, my next rod will be "nice n shiny" and although it will have an early styling it will definitely be unique.
Just like my present ride :wink:
t.j.'s dad

Post by t.j.'s dad »

the one trend that has never n will never change is the ever popular hiboy runnin flatty etc ... we dont have the grunt but we got the true style of the original cars that are the roots to this sport
mike
Carps
Old Hand

Post by Carps »

What goes around comes around. And there's those who follow, those who lead and those who just don't give a fat rat's clack and continue to do thier own thing.

I'll stick with being the latter, with my 'Restorod' Holden V8 and four speed powered Aussie bodied seven window deluxe coupe. Funny thing is, the restorod look is coming back in the US in a big way, so I'll prolly be mainstream again a couple of years.
Young Carps

My people skills are just fine.
It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.
snooze

Post by snooze »

Just think a couple of years ago you weren't able to give away a 38-39 Beer Barrel Grille , just cos one or two of these were seen on Rat Rods in the States now Itseems that it ain't a Rat Rod without one, funny that.
Seems some of us are just followers and some are inovators , like Carburettors Suck Choco. I am being nice Choco, so be kind in your response.
What do you consider yourself to be ?
I like to think I am not a follower, although I probably was at some stage.
Like who else is gonna build an Ugly 38 Willys and Ugly Colour like Bright Green. maybe I am a Trendsetter like some others, be kind Choco.

Snooze :roll:
http://aussierodding.altervista.org/INDEX.html
http://headlampsbybill.150m.com/
http://hotrodindex.atwebpages.com/
http://ozcoetrucks.netau.net/Index.a.html
http://willysbill.imgur.com
Brootal
Old Hand

Post by Brootal »

Good point snooze.

At the moment, I'm waiting for the 4 door Rambler craze to catch up to me. Problem is, I'm so far in front of everyone else that it'll never happen. :lol:

Don't worry snooze, I'm planning on building a nice shiny Hot Rod. It might be in primer for a little while until it gets sorted, but after that, shiny paint, shiny engine, shiny wheels. You'll all be needing sunglasses just to admire it. :D

This has all been discussed before, but I might as well repeat it. Even the "rat rods" are getting better. Initially they were real rough, but now those guys have learnt stuff and are still building out there Hot Rods, but with better engineering and better design.

As per usual, we're just a few years behind over here.

Of course, if you want to look at Aussie Rat Rods, check out the pics from the Rat Rod Day
It's OK, I'm not really from Sydney, I just moved there, but now I'm back in Perth so I'm normal again.

[url=http://www.the-rumbler.com]Ramblers, Hot Rods, Surfing and Model Cars[/url]
fc ute

Post by fc ute »

my t tudor will be matt black for a while until i make sure that i am happy with the body mods etc and then it will have shiny paint. real shiny
tru34
Old Hand

Post by tru34 »

January this year, at the Kandos Street Machine & Hot Rod Show, there was a pretty wild 'rat rod' that turned up on the day. The owner looked just as wild. He parked this thing next to a 41 Willys (Orange) that was obviously a big buck car, had everything shiny, low and was roped off so it was very much 'look and don't touch', the 'rat rod' received more attention and admirers than the Willy's did, people were pawing all over it.

Personally I think is a classic bit of hotrodding! The mans there to have fun in his hotrod!

Think there is a photo of it on the Kandos Street Machine website. It is dark blue and looks as though it has had about 8 inches chopped out of the roof, the windscreen is like a mail box slop. I have since seen this rod at 2 or 3 other places around Central Western NSW, so obviously he gets around it, and he's lovin' it.

Ain't that what driving our hotrods is all about? :peelout:
Cheers,
Tanya
Trailers should be behind hotrods, not under them.
Carps
Old Hand

Post by Carps »

Nuthin to stop anyone with shiney paint doin the same thing.

I feel sorry for the people who have to 'rope off' their cars when they are out in public. Sad, very sad.
Young Carps

My people skills are just fine.
It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.

Post by Guest »

Hi Guys
See how you can have a normal conversation when Choco doesn't get involved, That'l stir the Bald headed Beast up. I am going to regret this.
We had a local rodder who had his car roped of at a large National Rod Run, must have been his first and it seemed that just cos he had won a trophy at a certain make only run. Felt the need to protect his Rod from Rodders and public alike. Pitiful.
Ok what is the Web site address for the Kandos Street Machine Site, me go to a Street Machine site, well only if I have to.
Snooze :peelout:
tru34
Old Hand

Post by tru34 »

www.kandosstreetmachine.org.au

There is a few nice rods in the pictures on this site.

Here is another site (belongs to a local photographer here in Dubbo, who is a hotrod enthusiast and also into drag racing), which also has some nice rods on it. This site is still under construction, so more nostalgia rods and current rods to hit the site yet.

www.visualvelocity.net

cheers
Cheers,
Tanya
Trailers should be behind hotrods, not under them.
a25Chevrod

Post by a25Chevrod »

Carps wrote
I feel sorry for the people who have to 'rope off' their cars when they are out in public. Sad, very sad.
Well usually I would agree with you except after last weekend......

Went to a Show down the coast, in conjuction with their local show.
Was supposed to be in the Main ring with the public out side the ring.
Needless to say how long that lasted. :wink: Anyhow things were cool until I found a Lovely, Caring dad of unknown origin giving his kid slippery slide rides.......... down my F****kin front guard :evil: :evil: :evil: .
Am now seriously considering barbed wire or maybe a good quailty electric fence unit as it seems this is the only thing some people respnd to.

A25chevrod :!:
Mr Cool
Old Hand

Post by Mr Cool »

25chevrod
i know exactly what you mean.
Ive taken the lightburn to a few meets now and at one venue some idiot was lettin his kids jump up and down on the bloody seat!
Yes i did hit the roof, my abuse was heard for some distance and he certainly went away very quickly indeed. Im not a little bloke (but not as BIG as carps tho :lol: ) and he was shite scared of me in my moment of rage. doubt if he'll do that again.

As for shiny rods, you bet the tudor will be shiney, however, so long as the thing is clean, does it matter if its glossy or flat black?
me? i prefer flat black however sometimes the glossy look is perferred, depends on what i'm trying to achieve.
Regards
Chris Stork.
Founding Member of Oz E Rodders Rod and Kustom Club.
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Doesn,t anybody want to build shiny rods anymore?

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Hi Guys[and Gals] The best finish is the one that suits the individual,s purpose,if you biuild just for trophies and the salivating crowds,then go for the "top shelf" finish.Personally ,I go for the everyday driver finish,even down to the engine having it,s original factory paint with that just steamcleaned look.keep it roadworthy,and importantly,"drive it" Cheers. Frank.
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31