Doesn't anybody want to build shiny rods anymore !

Go here for general posts relating to Hotrods and Customs, Pre 71 only!

Post by Guest »

Pep wrote:...Look like shyte?...any worse than the HT/HQ IFS?....Can you tell me what's wrong with the geometry of the L300 s...I can't understand what you're saying above. :wink:
I wouldn't use one of those either, unless it was completely hidden under a fat fendered car.

Regards the L300 geometry the factory caster, camber and control arm angles are established not for straight line stability and handling but for truck like support of a heavy load. Like anything thay can be 'adjusted' but there's a lot of better options.

Post by Guest »

choco wrote: If you have a 36 Coupe on a Hilux Chassis, and it looks like a Hot Rod, what the hell does it matter if it's registered as a Hilux? When you go on a rod run, and you are checking out cars, do you ask to see the rego papers for a car you might think worthy of your admiration?
Another interesting angle on this is the people who are shitcanning the Hilux or Nissan chassis swap are possibly the same bunch of rodders who in order to get their old original chassis pile of parts on the road, sneak past the authorities and bipass the rules by licensing their rods as late model cars.

Before anybody starts, don't tell me it doesn't happen! I can show you probably half a dozen cars that have a different description on the 'legal' rago label than what I identify the car to be.
Pep
Old Hand

Post by Pep »

Anonymous wrote:
Pep wrote:...Look like shyte?...any worse than the HT/HQ IFS?....Can you tell me what's wrong with the geometry of the L300 s...I can't understand what you're saying above. :wink:
I wouldn't use one of those either, unless it was completely hidden under a fat fendered car.

Regards the L300 geometry the factory caster, camber and control arm angles are established not for straight line stability and handling but for truck like support of a heavy load. Like anything thay can be 'adjusted' but there's a lot of better options.

Personally, I think they are the best of the later IFS....I'm a bit biased cause I have them under 34 and 37...The geomtry can be set up perfectly. Everthing can be adjusted or shimed, just like the Holden and if you use the Holden spindles they can be rear steer as well. The only issue, as far as I know, is the original springs are too heavy. As you pointed out, they are from a commercial vehicle. Add the Holden springs and you fix that up as well. I like the fact that they are geometrically balanced without a lot of unnecessary metal. without sacrificing strength. If I was to install mine again in the 34, I would cut it into the rails instead of using dropped spindles. That way it would not be too noticeable and with a bit of creative painting, could look very presentable. Also could run 14' rims if thats your style. Have a good look at the yank Mustang2 IFS....very similar IMHO.
See ya on the road or at a run somewhere!
Flatoz
Old Hand

Post by Flatoz »

I havent seen your cars up close Pep, but I havent seen an L300 that sits right ( although sound like youve done the best job so far) I looked at buying a 41 coupe once, it had an L300 in it, and to be honest that was the reason I didnt buy the car, it made it look shocking. Obviously the person hadnt taken the time to look into how to fix it. I'm a bit of a stickler for stance. To me you can throw a bunch of money at a car, but if it doesnt have the right stance, then it will always look off. I guess the other side of the coin is why are we limiting ourselves to JUST the L300 and holden IFS units? I havent run a tape measure over other units, but there would have to be some out there that would do.

Flatoz
Pep
Old Hand

Post by Pep »

Flatoz wrote:I havent seen your cars up close Pep, but I havent seen an L300 that sits right ( although sound like youve done the best job so far) I looked at buying a 41 coupe once, it had an L300 in it, and to be honest that was the reason I didnt buy the car, it made it look shocking. Obviously the person hadnt taken the time to look into how to fix it. I'm a bit of a stickler for stance. To me you can throw a bunch of money at a car, but if it doesnt have the right stance, then it will always look off. I guess the other side of the coin is why are we limiting ourselves to JUST the L300 and holden IFS units? I havent run a tape measure over other units, but there would have to be some out there that would do.

Flatoz
I did ponder long and hard on whether to do it....I had a major problems with the dropped tube axel when I towed the camper trailer. The final straw was the shackles being ripped apart and the front end collapsing on my way to Valla a few years back. I did sacrifice "the look" in preference to ride and stability. As I said, if I was to do it again I would do it differently. The added bonus is I get the in the weeds stance that I wanted and still have a relative good ride. I still have the bump stops in place with plenty of travel. That would be impossible to do with dropped beam axel. Yeah, there are many IFS that have not been investigated. The crucial factor is they need to be bolted in to start with. I know the TD Cortina is a bolt in and the only deterant is they are 4 stud pattern. I do believe that there is a conversion kit available to mount Falcon disks and calipers. There's not many IFS that are geometrically nice as the L300 IMHO. I know that the "traditional" look demands that you retain the beam front end...but hey...I aint a traditionalist, I do what I please :)
Flatoz
Old Hand

Post by Flatoz »

MMMMMM. I was as my local wreckers on the weekend, the crsuher is comming thru, may be I better go and get that L300 front end...
Pep
Old Hand

Post by Pep »

Flatoz wrote:MMMMMM. I was as my local wreckers on the weekend, the crsuher is comming thru, may be I better go and get that L300 front end...
Get the right one ...there are 3 models...The oldest one is useless cause its got the smaller ball joints, the middle one is OK except you'll inevitably find the control arm bushes frozen to the retaining bolt and its near impossible to get free. The last one is the pick of them It has the control arm bush retained by a plate attached to the bolt. When you need to unfreeze the bush, all you do is undo the retaining plate and nut, heat the area around the bush with an oxy until the rubber starts to burn. You then give a sharp hit to the bolt, then the bush and bolt come flying out. I then use a hack saw and angle grinder to remove the bush from the bolt.
Jacko

Post by Jacko »

well...

the beast as a torrie front end in it (it will be full fendered) and I'll get it down there with lowered spindles and some dropped springs. Should get that fender scrapping sound without too much drama! :twisted:

Sure its unfasionable and doesnt have the look, but hey, it was a dumptruck of cash cheaper than a 4 bar setup (which I love but cant afford) and hopefully mean i'm crusining sooner rather than later....
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should
Carps
Old Hand

Post by Carps »

Pep wrote: Have a good look at the yank Mustang2 IFS....very similar IMHO.
I don't like those either. Even with the aftermarket control arms they stiull don't look right under an early car.

Maybe I'm just too traditional, but there's nuthing looks better than a Super Bell, dropped tube axle under an early car. Except maybe an original Bell tube axle. If ya can't have one of these an I beam is OK as a last resort.

Far as Holdens go, this may just be my personal bias again but the best looking of all the Holden front ends is to be found under the later 48/215 and FJ models. Details up a treat with some paint and chrome. Funny thing is ya could count on one hand all of them that ever ended up under a rod. Bobby Eaton's 'Stampeder' was prolly the first and man that puppy was low with the wheels tucked right up under the front fenders.
Young Carps

My people skills are just fine.
It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.
Flatoz
Old Hand

Post by Flatoz »

Stick your super bell Carps

I'll have a droped and filled ( even drilled ) I beam any day, even better are the ones that have that lovely cursive script on the inside passenger side that says FORD.

Flatoz
snooze

Post by snooze »

Hi Guys
See what happens when I go to the coast for a weekend, everything changes. At least I have managed to stir a lot of debate.
Have we covered everything yet.
I started this of with a question about Shiny paint versus primer from there we went to Hilux Chassis versus original style then L300 Front suspensions versus Dropped Tube/I beam axles.
I notice that no one bit about my comment regarding HQ/ 55 Chevys being late model cars, Hmm might have to start that one again.
I have read everything that has been written, Maybe Boris and I might be Dinasours, Well I guess I like being a Dinasour, I am still going to point my camera at the ground when I see a Hilux chassied A model or 34 Chev or whatever comes past.
BTW I have a 37 Willys pickup using an original Boxed Chassis with a L300 front end,Toyota Camry Steering, Datsun Pickup Rear leaf Springs and an 8" rear end. Oh yeah and a belly button SBC Crate Engine.
If you see me coming it will be your perogative to aim your camera at the Ground.

:mrgreen:
Snooze:peelout:
http://aussierodding.altervista.org/INDEX.html
http://headlampsbybill.150m.com/
http://hotrodindex.atwebpages.com/
http://ozcoetrucks.netau.net/Index.a.html
http://willysbill.imgur.com
old32

Post by old32 »

Guys The more cars we can get on the road the easier it will be in the long run with rego.
No way should we care what chassis is used, if we can get another car registered all the better.
Itís a bonus if you can use an original late model chassis under a car and still keep the early look.
Just for instance take Leo Spessots 29 roadster, try and say thatís not a hot rod (canít find a photo here at work of it so I'll try and post one tomorrow). The car was on the road for around $2000 (mind you there was a lot of beg, borrowing etc and lots of scrounging under his bench for leftovers)
How many people realise that it has a Datsun Pickup chassis under it with Chev horns welded on the front? It was found at the local tip. An ideal start for a low cost car and very little mods needed to mount the body. This car has been around for a while now with only drive train upgrades it now runs 11s at the drags and cruzed all during the nats.
The older I get the faster I was
old32

Post by old32 »

Its only taken me month,
Here is a photo of Leo's roadster on a Datsun Pickup chassis.

Its very hard to tell the difference from an A model chassis and well worth a look.
The older I get the faster I was
Fingers

Post by Fingers »

Nearly anybody can afford that sort of rodding.....
and it looks pretty cool too.
Richard Seymour
rx4ord
Old Hand

Re: Doesn't anybody want to build shiny rods anymore !

Post by rx4ord »

And Choco said "At the end of the day, my chosen hobby is to drive vintage cars that go like the clappers."

This old post is a ripper read.
Lots of people that contributed have left but their input was great stuff.
Progress is slow in the rodding world but attitudes can be shifted.

Tassie Dave
Founding Member of OZ-E-Rodders