Cody's JB Pickup

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
Cody

Cody's JB Pickup

Post by Cody »

I am trying to do a mock up with the cab and I wanted to use the original firewall but it looks like the cab will sit too far back.

Cody
hot rod andy

Re: Proportions

Post by hot rod andy »

mate don't worry.....just recess the firewall.....no drama's there..............most rods recess the original firewall......it won't look out of place...........even if you have to cut out the top for that scoop..........
cody really looking the goods mate...........nice........... 8) 8) 8)
Growing old is inevitable..............Growing up is optional............

oz-e-rodder member no 160
Cody

Post by Cody »

Thanks for the kind words Andy, I guess My original post is not clear enough but thats what I should have asked. Will the proportions look right when its all put together or does it need a recessed firewall?

In my opinion it looks about 3-4 inches too far back and about 2 inches too far off the ground. :)
Cody
rog
Old Hand

Post by rog »

Agreed on the height, but with that chop it might get a little sqishy if you channel it too.. if you bring the cab forward, you will need to extend the bedlength too.. which will make that look too far forward of the wheel centre..
hot rod andy

Post by hot rod andy »

cody whats your ride height at the flattest part of your chassis, in the pics it looks to be quite high
have you worked out your ride height yet............looks to me as if you could lower the suspention quite abit yet..
what rog says sounds good.......cab could come forward a few inches.....but the bed would need to be equalized ( unless you go for the unbalanced look......which some have produced with good effect)
Growing old is inevitable..............Growing up is optional............

oz-e-rodder member no 160
Harko

Post by Harko »

Maybe shorten the bulky firewall and move the engine back ,better handling too .
Looks much more balanced to me 8)
You're puttin on the agony mike but your missin all the style
Muzz

Post by Muzz »

Can you move the rear end back a couple of inches? It may balance out a bit more. Channel it a couple more inches and see what that looks like. Just make sure you have enough cab room, looking at it in the pics you have plenty of leg room therefore run a cutdown seat or a High density foam seat.
Cool 32

Post by Cool 32 »

Cody,not sure exactly what look you are trying to achieve but I like it as it is, that 60's gasser look. It's not too unbalanced and sits high.
[img]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/TUB32/WestcoastEmblema.jpg[/img]
"Absurdity is my Reality"
Cody

Post by Cody »

Andy the bottom of the rail is 200mm off the ground in this pic, if I take the axel stands out it would be about 170mm so I hope to get another 30-50mm out of the suspension adjustment. The tyres are really close to the size I want so I hope it works. :)
Rog, I have already channelled it about 4inches and the inside of the cab should be about the same as my Patrol, with some custom seating. I am woried about the bed though, should the axel be in the centre of the bed?
Harko, the firewall will be easier and give a nicer look to modify than the engine shift, but i did think of that earlier thats why i went for a 34 chassis instead of the 32. :)
Muzz, the bed is just a mock-up sheet and I was thinking that it could go longer or shorter if need be. I figure it will look good with: one third motor, one third cab and one third bed. Does that sound about right?
Cool 32, the look will eventually be what I imagine I would have built in the late 50's early 60's, if I was there.

Thanks heaps for the input, it gives me inspiration :D
Cody
howler

Post by howler »

just wondering ,would it help if you mocked up the front guards and bonnet to give the overall look?,,cheers jas
allways in the shit,,its just the depth that varies
Chris5.7ltr

Post by Chris5.7ltr »

Besides it being to high it looks good to me
1934 Reo pick up build thread
32 Chassis waiting for it's turn
64' Chev BelAir (true daily)
Cody

Post by Cody »

howler wrote:just wondering ,would it help if you mocked up the front guards and bonnet to give the overall look?,,cheers jas
There won't be any front sheet metal apart from the grille. :D

Thanks for the vote of confidence Chris. :)
Cody
Grazza
Old Hand

Post by Grazza »

I'm with Chris, the look is about right IMHO. As for the back wheels, I like to see them around 2/3 way back along the pickup bed myself. Don't like the look of a long bed hanging out behind the rear wheels personally.
Graeme
I will forever defend your right
to disagree with my opinion.

"Within 5mm is Close Enough"
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

I am also thinking about where the rear axle should sit proportionately. Like the look of it being in the middle but have been checking profile shots of others like in the Pickup thread to see what will look the best.
Also did some photo editing and it is posted in my thread here. http://www.ozrodders.com/forum/viewtopi ... &start=120
Marcus

To try where there is little hope, is to risk failure.
Not to try at all, is to guarantee it!

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
Cody

Post by Cody »

This is similar to the look I want, but I don't think I can go that low without drawing attention (120mm is the limit in WA) It has the third and third and third I was talking about. Which looks like the photoshopped Jeep.
Cody