28A's '28 Model A Roadster Build

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
rog
Old Hand

Re: 28A's '28 Model A Roadster Build

Post by rog »

Famous last words Nick. The thing you need to ask yourself is how long have your mates cars been "on road", & how close to "stock" they are? End of the day, You'd be better asking the tac what he wants, so you can get your car registered.
monte
Old Hand

Post by monte »

how do you plan to get it through tac inspection
28A

Post by 28A »

Rog,

My mates cars are both on the road, and mid build right now. Two of them are '40 pickups and both are running a standard original column and box in the factory mountings.

I have just spoken to Steve Coade and he is going to check out the whole lot in the new year, but my mate Curly (Greg Hardcastle) has been telling me what to do when i have queries and i've done exactly as he has told me for the steering box mount.

Steve also noted that shortening the column by cutting it to length, and machining a new taper, thread and keyway is fine and acceptable.
rog
Old Hand

Post by rog »

Hmmn, Ok. Steve knows your complete build plans? I'm just saying that if it needs to be changed, now is the time to do it, not when the car is completed.
28A

Post by 28A »

Yes he knows i'm building a banger roadster with all early parts.

I have ALL of my mounts (so far pedals, master cylinder and steering box) all tacked only so that if i need to move them i can.
rog
Old Hand

Post by rog »

So when is your first inspection? As a matter of interest, what is the rego process in qld?
stevenm

Post by stevenm »

I'm intrigued how you will go with the steering column Nick. Within the rodders i hang with i hear as long as you have 2 uni's between the box/rack and the column you don't need colapasable. Given its all fixed length I'll be interested to see how you go.Alternaty as long as the box is more than 450mm rearward of the frontmost crossmember on the chassis
rog wrote:As a matter of interest, what is the rego process in qld?
Process up here is get onto the TAC and pay for a Proposal to Build. Sumbit the completed paperwork and chassis drawing to the TAC for approval.
Once it gets sent back stamped get started. Soemtimes they make some changes to the PTB (for example on my mercury they want to check seat width to make it 6 seater plus a couple other minor items).

once you start building we have 3 inspections:
1) At rolling chassis stage, with engine gearbox etc etc all fitted. welds can not be ground.
2) Is basically car fully mocked up with seats, gauges exhaust, everything just prior to final tear down and paint. Any corrections noted in the first inspection need to be available for reinspection. Anthing that passed approval at inspection 1 can be final painted etc etc at this stage.
3) Last inspection is fully completed car, including test drive, brake tests etc etc If it gets the tick of approval a blue plate is fitted to the car, you take your paperwork the Qld Transport and get rego...

Only time engineers are involved is when something out of the ordinary is done.
Cheers,
Steve

sometimes you blow your nose with a piece of toilet paper......... bet that piece of paper considers itself lucky

www.skmdesign.com.au
30_roadster

Post by 30_roadster »

monte wrote:the tac will require a collapsible steering column,i dont think henry had thought of that in 1940,you might have to go to a later box ,holden even maybe :) :) :)
I don't think that rule applies to restored cars. He should be fine. :twisted:
JIMBOB
Old Hand

Post by JIMBOB »

rog wrote:Hmmn, Ok. Steve knows your complete build plans? I'm just saying that if it needs to be changed, now is the time to do it, not when the car is completed.
Was it in this thread (there's so much shit on here lately that I forgot and don't want to go through it all again) I read that someone was having a go at 28A for giving advice without having a build under his belt????? Just throwing that out there Rog........
Support your local Omen
rog
Old Hand

Post by rog »

JIMBOB wrote:
rog wrote:Hmmn, Ok. Steve knows your complete build plans? I'm just saying that if it needs to be changed, now is the time to do it, not when the car is completed.
Was it in this thread (there's so much shit on here lately that I forgot and don't want to go through it all again) I read that someone was having a go at 28A for giving advice without having a build under his belt????? Just throwing that out there Rog........
Probably Jimbob. However i dont think it was me, & i'm not telling him how to build his car, just that if his car falls outside the guidelines He'll need to rework it.

As for builds under the belt, it's true, i havent built a rod, yet. I have however built (or been part of building) a few 70's & 80's streetmachines.. The most noticable being A friend of mine's 72 XAGT big block powered Coupe, & another Friends 350 Chev powered Hr sedan. But they would be more customs than Hotrods, i guess.
28A

Post by 28A »

stevenm wrote:I'm intrigued how you will go with the steering column Nick. Within the rodders i hang with i hear as long as you have 2 uni's between the box/rack and the column you don't need colapasable. Given its all fixed length I'll be interested to see how you go.Alternaty as long as the box is more than 450mm rearward of the frontmost crossmember on the chassis
Hey Steve!

I had a look in the guidelines book this arvo and it shows a diagram with a beam axle, wishbone and transverse spring and cross steering and the box is mounted right at the front just behind the crossmember, unlike the whole "450mm rearward" that i've also read about in the guidelines.

The picture doesn't say anything about a collapsible column though.

Regardless, i'll do whatever it takes to not have to run one.
30_roadster wrote:I don't think that rule applies to restored cars. He should be fine. :twisted:
Hahaha i have been told i'm a restorer more than once. I'm okay with that. I'm "restoring" an early Hot Rod :lol:
monte
Old Hand

Post by monte »

my l10 guidelines say and i quote ( collapsible steering columns are required where the angle of the column is more than thirty deg from vertical and / or the steering box or rack is positioned less than 450mm rearward of the foremost substantial crossmember excluding bumper bars and their mounts ), my take on that is if you are involved in a collision and the steering box is closer than 450 away from the front crossmember ,it could be damaged and you could lose steering , looking at your setup you will need a collapsible column to pass tac inspection
28A

Post by 28A »

I will see what Steve says because i've done exactly what Curly has told me to do.

Unless someone can tell me an easier and better way to mount a '40 column box and wheel in a Model A chassis where i can somehow keep the entire column straight with no uni joints, and can somehow make it work. I'd love to see it.

If i mount it further backwards then the pitman arm is too far away to be a relatively correct angle for the draglink or tie rod or whatever you call it. The diagram in the guidelines that is for straight axle, wishbone, transverse spring and cross steer shows the box right at the front of the chassis.

And anyway.. if the box is at the front in a crash how is the column being collapsible going to make any difference to the steering box? If the box gets blown up or disintegrated or some other form of extreme unrealistic damage how is the collapsed column going to provide you with steering with a destroyed steering box?
monte
Old Hand

Post by monte »

i think the other thing is they are looking at if the box comes back ,you will be speared with the steering column and shaft ,thats why they fit them on modern cars and also the steering will still work as the shaft has a spline in it that will move upwards as the column collapse
Last edited by monte on Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevenm

Post by stevenm »

monte wrote:my l10 guidelines say and i quote ( collapsible steering columns are required where the angle of the column is more than thirty deg from vertical and / or the steering box or rack is positioned less than 450mm rearward of the foremost substantial crossmember excluding bumper bars and their mounts ), my take on that is if you are involved in a collision and the steering box is closer than 450 away from the front crossmember ,it could be damaged and you could lose steering , looking at your setup you will need a collapsible column to pass tac inspection
Thats the one Monte, except i think the issue is the steering column turning you into a kebab :) Sorry Nick, but you'll thank the TAC if you are ever unfortunate enough to have a major prang :(

That said one of my mates had a major accident back in the early 90's (other driver crossed over the white line) and the only thing that saved his life was the fact that the steering column in his old Datto pierced his wind pipe after his face was smashed from hititng the steeirng wheel and dash. Managed to get enough air thru the hole.....

This doesn't apply to Nick's car, but on teh collpasable column debate there is an un-written rule that if you have 2 unis. and they aren't too "aligned" it will suffice in place of a collapsable column. Local hotrod buisiness here in town does this std practice and have had no probs... I'ev spoken to the local TAC about doing so myself on the merc and had the same answer (2 unis)... and i use the same inspectors that Warren uses. As i say this doesn't apply to Nicks car.....
Cheers,
Steve

sometimes you blow your nose with a piece of toilet paper......... bet that piece of paper considers itself lucky

www.skmdesign.com.au