Jim Read's Parramatta Spares F.E.D.

Posts relating to early (Pre 1985) Hotrodding History in Australia, including Hotrod and Custom Shows plus early Drag Racing, Speedway, Hillclimbs etc.
ALTERED

Re: Jim Read's Parramatta Spares F.E.D.

Post by ALTERED »

Old and wiser, are you kidding us, what a laugh.................... any truth in the rumor that Bob and Turner are going to shout, or is that just like the older and wiser story
over 180 gentelman racers,crew and fans, have now registered to attend, this is looking better by the day
Gary
geofforrell

Post by geofforrell »

Okay fair call, Bob got wiser and I just got older is probably a more accurate summary.

I have it on good authority that the very Reverent William Barclay,"Road Rattler" FC Holden, Mr Holden winner 1970, will be making the journey to Sydney in November, hopefully in company with the completely irreverent Peter Adams!!! There goes the neighbourhood!!!!

Bob, Clarkie claims to have a bottle of Jim Beam the size of a 44 gallon drum, so we should be okay for Saturday night!!!

Any chance of Kenny Lucan attending Bob? I'd love to catch up with him.
ALTERED

Post by ALTERED »

Here is the latest from Turner

Hi All,
Just a quick update for you on the attendees for the Pioneer Awards in 2 weeks and a run down of the afternoon facilities at the track.

Really hope to see you there, Steve Turner...

2012 Pioneer Awards and Reunion Update – 4th November, 2012.

Hi everybody,
Only a couple of weeks till the Awards and Reunion at Sydney Dragway.

I will note a lot of items here that may be of interest to you heading up to the event, then if there is anything to notify you about the week of the event, it will not be a long e-mail. As you may have noticed......I ramble on in my e-mails!....but everybody has a good indication of what is happening.

Firstly, we have had a few more people add their names to the Attendees list, which is enclosed.
John Maher, Bill Croft, Angelo Palumbo and Phil Olive have notified me this week that they will also be attending.

So, onto the small items that make up the event.

As you should have seen, the Rocket Day goes from 8am to about 2pm with a BBQ lunch and drinks as well. The car show alone is a huge deal.

The entry gates for the Awards and Reunion open at Sydney Dragway at 3pm. You are all welcome to attend from this time onwards. The track has made arrangements with the caterer to have some booths open and near to the marquee that we will be using. There will be a coffee stand, a cash bar and a Hot Dog-Pie stand for the NON BBQ people in attendance. These hopefully will be open till late.

Our BBQ will start about 5pm as with about 250 to 300 to feed, it will take this long to get the sausages cooked. There will be bottled water available, about 100, so if you choose to bring your own may be a good idea, alternatively the traders stands will have drinks. As the costs to hold this event have sky-rocketed, we will be placing a ‘Gold Coin’ donation collection tin at the BBQ area. If you put some bucks in great, if you don’t that’s great also.

The track are supplying 15 tables with seating for 10 at each table, plus 50 extra chairs. As 7 tables will be reserved for the Award Recipients, it just may be a good idea to bring along a chair if practical.

Our Awards will start at 6.30pm and will take about 2 hours....don’t worry, it will go quick.

We will then have a cackle to set up the last part of the evening, which will be on stage...a fitting finale to the evening’s entertainment. 4 cackle cars will be in attendance to supply some aroma.

The ANFA will have embroidered event polo’s on display for after event delivery plus some ‘tin signs’ of the event and the Awards, only a handful of each at this stage.

Sue Syrmis is bringing some colour photo copies of the scrap books that she and Dennis kept of his career, and I have been privileged to have a sneak peek, and these are historical. John English’s wife documented ‘EVERYTHING’ that John accomplished through his career, and they too will have all of that on display. Several guys are bringing 70’s and 80’s memorabilia from rule books to pictures. Gentleman Jim Reed will also have a trunk load of memorabilia.

On Sunday, there will be a pretty huge car show in the pit area, an autograph session of our recipients and the racing will be set to kick off about Noon.

If your driving into the venue on the Saturday afternoon, please be midful that competing racers for Sunday will also be arriving, so maybe park down on the grassed area.

For those that haven’t been to the area before, Rocket Industries is located at 40 Huntingwood Drive
Huntingwood NSW 2148. Sydney Dragway is then located at Ferrers Road, Eastern Creek, NSW 2766, which is a 2 minute drive from Rocket.

So, hope we have covered it all for you. If there is something that you are not really sure about, send me an e-mail or call me on 04 024 55 555.

Yours Sincerely, Steve Turner...
smee

Post by smee »

See you all Saturday :D :D :D :D
Bob Honeybrook

Post by Bob Honeybrook »

Alan Walton and Dennis Bolam will be driving up from Melbourne as well. :D :lol: :lol:
ALTERED

Post by ALTERED »

See you all on saturday
Bob, great to see Allan and Dennis are coming up
Smee all the way from WA ? geeeee well done
Looking foward to catching up with you all

Gary
Ozfury

Post by Ozfury »

Hi guys , newbie here, first post. I am an ex modified and super sedan racer from the late 70s to the early 90s, absolutely loving reading this early history. Geoff O what a great story teller you are, makes me want to go out and get into a nostalgia car! Have the overhangs from the weekend subsided yet? Hanging out for more stories and more fantastic photos, keep up the good work!
ALTERED

Post by ALTERED »

Welcome, ozfury, you like many of us enjoy geoff O"s stories
So come on old fella start writing, I belive you had plenty of time at the Airport to put a few stories together,so get some of Clarky's photos and tell a tale or 2

were you there at the weekend ? Ozfury
ALTERED

Post by ALTERED »

HI ALL
What a top weekend, for those of you that could not make it,ask around and check with people that went,I'm sure they will tell you they had a fantastic time ,meeting old friends , making some new one's ,drinking cold beer, swaping old stories {if we could remember them] watching fuel cars belch flame into the nite air, what more could you want.
Steve Turner and all the crew from ANFA done a fantastic job and keep us entertained all nite a very big WELL DONE guys
Other threads on this site have posted photo's from Rocket [and a big THANKS to the cowin family] and sunday from the track,As soon as I can get hold of some photo's I will post then ,or better still maybe Bob Honeybrook can put some up
Sorry for not meeting up with every body from this site but just didn't get the time, in saying that I will have to go next year just to make sure I do [just try and keep me away]
I was partnered by long time friend and Lady drag racer from the early 70's Janine Pound [hannan] who has been away from the sport for 35yrs or so, she has asked me to thank you all for being great company and sharing some great memories , and she will not miss the next one either

Gary
Bob Honeybrook

Post by Bob Honeybrook »

Hi Gary I was too busy to take any photos, I did not even take my camera with me. What a great weekend it was and guess who had their last flights on Tiger Airways!! :D :D :D :D
geofforrell

Post by geofforrell »

Hot Rodding International Number 5 came out today, which means my little story "Orrell History....Just an average Drag Racer" will be inflicted on the innocent public as well!!!!

The title says it all: it's not the story of some superstar of Australian Drag racing, but rather just an average bloke who loved the sport, loved going fast and met heaps of ripper people along the way.

geofforrell

Post by geofforrell »

A very nice touch from Larry O'Toole on the inside cover of my copy of Hot Rodding International.
Each year Larry puts out Hot Rodding International completely ad free, this years edition runs to 224 pages, crammed with great stories and beautiful pictures.
There are feature stories on Terry Scully, Bonneville Speedweek 2012, Going 175mph with a Y Block and on it goes.
Thanks Larry for publishing my humble little yarn: I feel I have now joined the literary greats like Wordsworth, Shakespeare and Honeybrook!!!
Bob Honeybrook

Post by Bob Honeybrook »

When do I get my agents comission Geoff ? Then I will be able to buy my own copy of the Magazine. You have now joined the elite writers club!! LOL :D :D :D :D
ALTERED

Post by ALTERED »

Ohhh Bugger , I will have to go out and buy it now just to read Geoff and Bob's stories, I better get to the Newsagents quike. as I know everyone will after a copy
Well do Guy's

Gary
slightlydangerous
Location: The Dusty Adelaide Plains Home of the Mighty Crows & A Slightly Dangerous Dragster

Post by slightlydangerous »

Just bought my copy .. i will have to bring it over and get it signed by the great man . how fars Shepparton from Mt martha :?

ok i just googled it :lol: :lol:
I live life in the fast lane but my hair just couldn't keep up!!

I'm not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings. I'm a drunk, I go to parties