Old Rod Photos - Tasmania

Posts relating to early (Pre 1985) Hotrodding History in Australia, including Hotrod and Custom Shows plus early Drag Racing, Speedway, Hillclimbs etc.
King Willy

Old Rod Photos - Tasmania

Post by King Willy »

G'day all, a little while back I stumbled onto a link with lot's of early rod pics on it. I have been unable to find it again, and since I have a few old pics you may like to see, I thought that I would start again.
These were in Farmers car park, Burnie, Tas. It was around '76, I can name some of them.

Cheers

Rod Goodsell, this car is red now, in QLD and last time I saw it, still on Tas reg.

Robert Howe

'26 Chrysler

"Ned" Roberts

I think this was Gary Paul's

Fake blower on '29 Chev

G.Overall '29 Chev

Peter Leech

Studebaker on Holden chassis

Ian Clarke

Last edited by King Willy on Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King Willy

Re: Old Rod Photos

Post by King Willy »

Just remembered the black n white roadster was John Loone's. I believe this car went to Victoria after the '96 Regional Nats in Tas.
HYPORX
Old Hand

Post by HYPORX »

The Farmers underground carpark? :shock:
Great photos and as an ex-local (born a year before these photos), I'm suprised to see a collection of rods shown in Burnie.

Familiar names though and I know a few are on here.
Thanks for sharing, any more?

-Caleb
"Obviously your ambition outweighs your talent" Casey Stoner to Valentino Rossi. 03/04/2011
ken1939

Post by ken1939 »

Thats pretty cool stuff. One thing you can say about the 70's, the era of wide wide wide fat tires!
rx4ord
Old Hand

Post by rx4ord »

The green Chevvy tourer was Peter Carters and the bike just in front was mine. Bloody great to see pics of this show. I will try to remember some others if possible. Dave
Founding Member of OZ-E-Rodders
356ROD

Post by 356ROD »

I now own the 37 Ford Coupe by Ian Clarke.

Cheers Bendan
tub1935

Post by tub1935 »

The 1933 ford roadster is in new zealand now ,the chanelled A roadster on a 32 chassis is being rebuilt to its original glory, but much better than it ever was, by a owner in hobart and a very talented rodder in launceston has done a great job on it for him .Does anyone know were the purple coupe went to it left tas i know. If the owner of it reads this tell him to pm me as i have the 32 grill for it on my garage wall looking for its car and to the owner of the 37 coupe man you have a great car
King Willy

Post by King Willy »

I don't have any more pic's that early, we jump ahead to the '80's. I tried to buy the ex SA 'A' roadster when Tony put it up for sale. I have been in touch with present owner to supply him with photo's taken when it was living in Devonport.

On with the next decade! These are all from 1983.

The Clarke coupe now wearing paint. At one point in time this car rolled on Chryslers Sports rims.

That 'A' bucket, now in red. How's the timber pick up bed!

These pictures with the Hessian(?) back ground were taken at the Devonport regatta in 1983. The Diamonds HRC may still have been in existence then, I'm not sure.

The heart of Greg King's neat 'A' Tudor

That 'A' Tudor

Joel Seymour's Jailbar at Latrobe Speedway for the first Advocate Truckarama. It's a great looking truck
spoggie

Post by spoggie »

Agreed, It is a great looking truck. The red 'A' lowboy originally was built by Russ Odlum in Adelaide. Thanks King Willy for this fine thread- tassie rods were always worth looking at.
King Willy

Post by King Willy »

Right then, on with tonights installment. I have Jan '83 down as the date for these pics and noticed that there is a Diamonds sign on one of the cars, so the club was still going at this point. Thes pic's are at another indoor venue,possibly Hobart, and under shops again by the looks of the plumbing in the roof. I don't know where. I'm struggling to remember names for owners again. 20 years ago I could have told you the owner and what driveline the car had! I hate getting old, or maybe it's just too much Bourbon?

Spoggie, I have a calendar from 1975 with the Russ Odlum roadster in it, along with a few other SA rods from the day.

Dave, what sort of bike was your's, a 750Four maybe??

Anyway, on with the show!

37 out of Launceston area, "Big Al's" 39 Hemi Chevy with it.

Raffle car, tickets were cheap at $5!!

Unknown, but why is there a Laser in this show? Bloody Tasmanians!(Yes, I was born there, OK!)

I think Brian Smith?

Mike Brocksopp

Rusty's Essex

Graeme Mannering's 35 Dodge

hotrodsteve

Post by hotrodsteve »

I remember Ian Clark's 37 just finished on the Tassie Rod Holiday with us in 1980.It was a great looking car.Steve.
HYPORX
Old Hand

Post by HYPORX »

Rusty Walker?
He's got quite a few photos kicking around the house (his daughter showed me :wink: )
"Obviously your ambition outweighs your talent" Casey Stoner to Valentino Rossi. 03/04/2011
King Willy

Post by King Willy »

Caleb, it is Rusty Walker. That's a '27, powered by a 253 & truamatic, Holden front & rear ends. It's an all steel body with glass guards.

Cheers
rx4ord
Old Hand

Post by rx4ord »

My bike was a converted TT500 single. Full fairing,big brakes and a very hot motor. Used to circuit race it and it was very fast.I used to knock around with Peter Carter and had great times in his Chevy. It had an aluminium roof made by Andy Morris that was a work of art. Dave
Founding Member of OZ-E-Rodders
King Willy

Post by King Willy »

Before I get started tonight, Dave, do you know if that green Chev went on to be Mike's red and black tudor from Launceston? I heard a rumour that it was.

Tonights batch are all from 1987, they were becoming more regular as I was now out of school, working and had a car to get myself places!

Jan '87 Making the most of the 4 weeks of Summer in Tassie! Only joking. This was along the beach front at Ulverstone.

Andy's Tourer heading the pack, Greg King's Tudor next and at the back is Goodsell's blue 'House'

"Ned" Roberts 'A' Tudor, a bit more sedate looking than his purple coupe from the 70's

August '87 and were at the Velodrome for the annual car show. Dave Young's 34 Chev. The very definition of detailed, this car was immaculate. 350, Saginaw, 3.07:1 Jag diff and 15x6 & 15x8 Chev rallye rims. Behind it you can see Steve Johnson's 39 Plymouth sedan that still run the factory 6. It has recently been unearthed and taken to Hobart by a Rumbler to cruize the streets again.

Lindsay Greenwood, 38 sedan parked outside the Rolf Vos car park in Sept 87 for the annual Launceston swapmeet.

Byron Basset's 37 sedan, Launceston swap.

Launceston swap. This is now owned by Simon Cunningham.

Ian Clarke at the swapmeet, now painted red and fitted with 12 slotters.

Nov 87 Briggs Body Model A sedan. Sold at Bendigo swap meet in '88.

Holden front end, Jag diff. P76 V8 and auto. Mazda 808 dash and front seats.