Mudgy's 1937 Dodge Sedan

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
stevenm

Re: Mudgy's 1937 Dodge Sedan

Post by stevenm »

Mudgy wrote:Wow that's a lot of work :shock:
Thanks, I could use some ideas for tail lights

Are those running boards 1/2 as wide?
No probs on the tail lights. I don't have any pics of the back of the rod, so next time we are out on a run I'll get a few :wink:

Not sure on the exact width of the running boards, but like everything its all been modded in some way LOL

cheers, steve
Cheers,
Steve

sometimes you blow your nose with a piece of toilet paper......... bet that piece of paper considers itself lucky

www.skmdesign.com.au
Mudgy
Old Hand

Post by Mudgy »

Thanks for that.
I'll be attending a show tomorrow (if the weather's good) to check a car that's had the same treatment.
Hopefully I can solve this mystery. I suppose there's gonna be lots more puzzles involved as I go along. Thanks everyone for your input.
Good Judgement comes from experience....experience comes from bad judgement.
35Ponti

Post by 35Ponti »

Looks great mate. You are doing the same as me with the jag set ups .. you might like to check out my build in members rides.. Penny the Pontiac.. :lol: :lol: :lol: Cheers
Mudgy
Old Hand

Post by Mudgy »

Thanks. I'll have a look.
So I went to the show where a car (same model & same front end) was there. I was lucky enough to be allowed to photograph and measure all the little things that were done so I could compare. I noticed the top A arms were sitting at max upper position, (surely that can't be good!)
so I reckon I may still be on the right track with my original measurements/settings.
So I made some cardboard templates for the graft pieces. As it will be about 4-5" between the member and the rails, I think I should web the inside of these plates to negate any lateral flex forces, yes?
I was thinking 4mm plate.

Dreamt up some sway bar mounts too

stevenm

Post by stevenm »

Hi Mudgy,
As a matter of interest what theroretic height from ground to the bottom of the running boards have you set the chassis at?

Chers,
Steve
Cheers,
Steve

sometimes you blow your nose with a piece of toilet paper......... bet that piece of paper considers itself lucky

www.skmdesign.com.au
Mudgy
Old Hand

Post by Mudgy »

Hi Steve
I set them at 7 inches off the floor. This makes the centre "hoop" 100mm ground clearance. That'the lowest bit
stevenm

Post by stevenm »

Thats very close to the height of my mates '37. Thought I'd ask as a comparion to my mates rod to see if/what scope you had to reduce the gap between the chassis and the jag f/e.

These chassis are perfect for rodding , driveshaft loop all ready fitted etc etc and the usual chevy motor and box comobo fits well too with no real mods to the chassis necessary... made for us 8)
Cheers,
Steve

www.skmdesign.com.au
fat084

Post by fat084 »

Hi Mudgy, it's Harry here.
Here are some pics of the 38 that I'm doing. Still got a long way to go!

Mudgy
Old Hand

Post by Mudgy »

Wow the chassis' are still very similar.

My internet is slow ATM due to the kids using all the bandwidth over Chrissy break, (lil buggers :evil: ) so I have to wait a bit to post some progress pics.

Hey Harry, rub some glycerine into those window rubbers to get 'em supple again. New ones cost a bomb.

You gotta keep that ol' number plate, starting with "A" has to be rare these days.

I'm busy making my front end graft, I have 2 x side plates joining the front rails to the Jag X mamber, and sandwiched in between are 9 x plates every 50mm or so.

So it's all boxed.

Probably didn't have to go to so much, but I know it's gonna stay still, dammit! :D

May be able to pick up my grille shell & running boards from the blasters this sat, and also drop off the Jag rack for an overhaul at the same time.

maybe the rack is OK, but I'm not leaving anything safety related to chance. A few bucks on brakes/steering/susp is better spent than a few months laid up in traction (if you're lucky)
fat084

Post by fat084 »

Thanks for the tips.
Yeah it will be good to see a few more of your pics for inspiration.
302-coop

Post by 302-coop »

Hey all, any of u guys got a spare one of those chassis????? the front and rear kick look awesome 8) 8) also are the dimensions anything like a 35-40 ford?
Sorry for hijackin your thread, oh and liking the build and pics :wink:
Gerry
ps so as not to fill this thread with q and a for me just pm me with answers please
Mudgy
Old Hand

Post by Mudgy »

Something I noticed there....all the front is Plymouth, but I see a DB badge on the boot?

I also noticed yours has boot hinges external mount. Maybe it's a '38 thing? dunno.
Waht I did notice though was on 37 jobs anyway; USA had external boot hinge, Aussie was internal. And US ones had a wind-out screen, and rear 1/4 windows hinged at a different spot to the Aus ones. There's probably some more differences, but I got no idea! :?
Mudgy
Old Hand

Post by Mudgy »

302-coop wrote:Hey all, any of u guys got a spare one of those chassis????? the front and rear kick look awesome 8) 8) also are the dimensions anything like a 35-40 ford?
Sorry for hijackin your thread, oh and liking the build and pics :wink:
Gerry
ps so as not to fill this thread with q and a for me just pm me with answers please

Hi mate, as a matter of fact I got a spare chassis! The original motor mounts are there, and most of the leaf spring mounts, all X members are there except for transmission one. Shock perches are there too.

I thought Ford/Chev made a certain width chassis, and Dodge went out and made something bigger! I'm sure it will be wider than Ford of the same age.
Once my net speeds up, I'll shove a pic up of the 2nd chassis.
302-coop

Post by 302-coop »

Cheers, no big prob if its wider as the one I have now I have narrowed by 2" to get my cab back almost a foot, the distance between centre of kick up front to rear really interests me if you could run a tape over it.
Gerry
Mudgy
Old Hand

Post by Mudgy »

Hi i got an ol' book for Plymouth/Dodge/De Soto cars, 1936 - 1942; when my 'net speeds up I'll put those images up too. I scanned frame dimensions for 37, '38, '39 and '40 chassis'.

So watch this space!!