Old Sydney Speedway

Posts relating to early (Pre 1985) Hotrodding History in Australia, including Hotrod and Custom Shows plus early Drag Racing, Speedway, Hillclimbs etc.
28 fordave

Re: Old Sydney Speedway

Post by 28 fordave »

324dor wrote:...The first is Eddie Darks Berco Holden...

I believe that's the "Little" Berco; fitted with a Repco head - built in 1949 for Alf Beasley - later owned by Don Mackay before the Darks - driven with distinction by many fine drivers, including Andy McGavin, Len Brock, Kevin Park and Garry Rush. She was restored by Dave Johnsen, who pitted for the Darks:

The "Big" Berco (for Braddon Engine ReCOnditioning) was bought to Oz by "Satan" (Frank Brewer); claimed a multitude of titles and was raced by heaps of great drivers - Andy McGavin, Johnny Stewart, Bryan Cuneen, Len Brock, Ray Oram, Lew Marshall and Howard Revell (here with the Dark crew, Dave Johnsen on the left):
It's also been restored, by Bruce & Gary Arthurson (with Little Berco behind):
Last edited by 28 fordave on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
No signature yet, still working on it. Bit like the Roadster, really!
OzeRodders Member
Historic Speedway Assoc. Australia Secretary
28 fordave

Post by 28 fordave »

324dor wrote:....Don't know who owns No.20...

I'll have a go - Sel Payne's Model A? (not him in the pic) - he was the promotor at Cumberland Oval, and a regular in midgets. Here trailing Black Jack Brabham in the JAP twin:

And again:

And being passed on the outside by Ray Revell in his Offy:

Note: all pics courtesy of Brian Darby - I'm not that old! These racing shots are from about 1949-1951 - the static shot with slightly different livery and bodywork looks later.
OzeRodders Member
28 fordave

Post by 28 fordave »

324dor wrote:...Here is a couple of old Stock cars.
Could be Ken Sevenoaks' old car - livery was similar, but was No. 70 - raced at Windsor, Westmead.
OzeRodders Member
Nailhead Bucket

Post by Nailhead Bucket »

[quote="324dor"]These pics are Brian in No.87 & then in No.97. Note the brake mechanism in the second pic, obviously not something reserved for Hot Rodding.

What a great thread lads, the own pics are marvellous. Keep 'em coming.
As I recall, Kev Parks was Johnny " Super" Stewarts team mate.
BTW; the No. 54 ( Wells Volvo) in the background is the identical sister car of the one that is currently causing domestic disharmony in the Nailhead household.
The older I get, the more everyone else can bite my arse.
woody28A
Old Hand
Location: "About forty-five minutes southeast of Thibodeaux, Louisiana" or "Hobbitsville"

Post by woody28A »

Hey Nailhead, was "Buttercrunch" ever the pilot of the Wells Volvo or was that another Volvo engined car.
Remember this life is a test. If it had been a real life you would have received further instructions on where to go and what to do!!!!!
28 fordave

Post by 28 fordave »

Nailhead Bucket wrote:..the identical sister car of the one that is currently causing domestic disharmony in the Nailhead household.
Is it this one, #45, driven by Kevin Gormley, on the outside of another Volvo driven by Alan Streader?

Barry Butterworth, Lew Marshall, Sid Middlemass, and others all drove for Bill & Keith Wells.
OzeRodders Member
woody28A
Old Hand
Location: "About forty-five minutes southeast of Thibodeaux, Louisiana" or "Hobbitsville"

Post by woody28A »

Thanks for that Dave. Thought Buttercrunch was a driver for Wells.
Remember this life is a test. If it had been a real life you would have received further instructions on where to go and what to do!!!!!
Nailhead Bucket

Yep, that's it.
There were two black 54 cars, one with a holden (black steering wheel) and one with a volvo motor (white wheel).
Pretty sure the one in this pic is the white wheel car. The white wheel one was driven by Lew Marshall and Sid Middlemass.
The owners eusta swap drivers around quite a bit back then. I'm sure Brian Darby at Vintage Speedway could give you a list of who drove what.

The Holden car is definately not for sale.....the Volvo is up for $38k.
' er indoors reckons the minute the 54 midget comes up the driveway, she's going out the front door. :roll:
Hmmmmm. Not a bad offer really :wink: :)
28 fordave

Post by 28 fordave »

Nailhead Bucket wrote:... ' er indoors reckons the minute the 54 midget comes up the driveway, she's going out the front door. :roll:
Hmmmmm. Not a bad offer really :wink: :)
It's funny - I look at these cars gettin' around today, and I know they've been restored, and all that - but they look and sound as good as they did 35, 40, 50 or more years ago.

A pity you can't say the same about everything in our lives! :cry: :cry:
(& I am ALWAYS going to deny ever having said that! :lol: :lol: )
OzeRodders Member
Nailhead Bucket

Amen to that! Mind you, I prob'ly don't sound or go as well as I did 50 years ago.
But, those midgets sound as good as ever. They always had a distinctive growl all of their own.
324dor

Post by 324dor »

It's good to see that a bit of life has been breathed back into this. A pic that I posted earlier of Brian Myers showed the 54 car in the background. I assume that it would have been the Holden powered version.
Here is a photo taken at a Vintage meeting at Grafton several weeks ago. This is the Volvo powered version but without the cage as the one posted by 28 fordave. Although demonstration runs were the order of the day, the guy driving car 54 was driving like he was still trying to win a feature race. I understand that it was in fact Sid Middlemas. When my neighbour saw the following 2 pics he immediately said who he reckoned it was.

Ken.
Last edited by 324dor on Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
28 fordave

Post by 28 fordave »

28 fordave wrote:
Nailhead Bucket wrote:..the identical sister car of the one that is currently causing domestic disharmony in the Nailhead household.
Is it this one, #45, driven by Kevin Gormley, on the outside of another Volvo driven by Alan Streader?

Barry Butterworth, Lew Marshall, Sid Middlemass, and others all drove for Bill & Keith Wells.
The Wells car in this photo is #45 - Kevin's initials are below the screen - Sid generally drove #54. (edit - Ah, I misunderstood your comment, Ken - you meant Sid was reliving his youth that day at Grafton - I think that's a common problem with all the older pedallers when they hop into their old cars - my mate Howard Revell does the same 8) 8) :D :D )
Last edited by 28 fordave on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OzeRodders Member
324dor

Post by 324dor »

Here are some more pics from early Westmead Speedway.Firstly a couple of old A model Fords.

And then some 34's.

Note how a couple are using Deuce Grilles. :evil:
Nice to see 3 black 34's together.
Ken.
Last edited by 324dor on Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nailhead Bucket

Here is a photo taken at a Vintage meeting at Grafton several weeks ago. This is the Volvo powered version but without the cage as the one posted by 28 fordave. Although demonstration runs were the order of the day, the guy driving car 54 was driving like he was still trying to win a feature race. I understand that it was in fact Sid Middlemas. Ken.[/quote]

Yep, That is definately Scarum Sid climbing into the car. ( Note his name still on the tail, as it should be).
Incidentally, the bloke who owns the car at the moment ( also owns a T bucket) can also pedal it pretty quick.

...and just noticed; second pic, over Sid's shoulder in background....who else but Gary Rush (?)
Last edited by Nailhead Bucket on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nailhead Bucket

324dor wrote:Here are some more pics from early Westmead Speedway.Note how a couple are using Deuce Grilles. :evil:
Nice to see 3 black 34's together. Ken.
All taken for granted back then. They were common. Wonder where they are now?
In the eighties, there was an old house in Pendle Hill with lotsa old Stock Rods in the backyard. I called by one arvo to see if I might have a look
but the neighbour said it was a deceased estate and no-one allowed in. Prob'ly all went to the crusher Aarrgh!!