Old Sydney Speedway

Posts relating to early (Pre 1985) Hotrodding History in Australia, including Hotrod and Custom Shows plus early Drag Racing, Speedway, Hillclimbs etc.
Nailhead Bucket

Re: Old Sydney Speedway

Post by Nailhead Bucket »

28 fordave wrote:Thanks, Graham, for the links - you can spend days looking at all that action!

.....And I will. Some of that stuff is pre- modifieds - Stock Rods, Hot Rods . There's many pics I've never seen before. Many thanks Graham. 8) 8) :D :D
The older I get, the more everyone else can bite my arse.
Bob Honeybrook

Post by Bob Honeybrook »

The Hot Rod on page one of the Sevenoaks pages re westmead that is number 3 is the Algie Bros '32 Ford Roadster fitted with a roof, this Rod was from Woolongong built by Bob & Don Algie. It was a street car and was sold to Ron Thorpe of Thorp's Bargain Barn and turned up at Westmead, the car was known as the Weiand Special and ran at the hillclimbs. Can you post a copy of this shot on this site pleaase Mr Sevenoaks.
k7oaks

Post by k7oaks »

Bob Honeybrook wrote:The Hot Rod on page one of the Sevenoaks pages re westmead that is number 3 is the Algie Bros '32 Ford Roadster fitted with a roof, this Rod was from Woolongong built by Bob & Don Algie. It was a street car and was sold to Ron Thorpe of Thorp's Bargain Barn and turned up at Westmead, the car was known as the Weiand Special and ran at the hillclimbs. Can you post a copy of this shot on this site pleaase Mr Sevenoaks.

"MR" Sevenoaks ????????????? Gees Bob, you'll get on !! :lol: :lol:
Mate, at the moment we are in Perth, we flew over here last week & it'll be a few weeks before we get home. As soon as I get home I'll look through the photos & I'll put a copy on here for you ! It pleases me to know that other people are interested in my collection. Will get back to you about the end of April . See ya
Ken 7
324dor

Post by 324dor »

[quote="Bob Honeybrook"]The Hot Rod on page one of the Sevenoaks pages re westmead that is number 3 is the Algie Bros '32 Ford Roadster fitted with a roof, this Rod was from Woolongong built by Bob & Don Algie. It was a street car and was sold to Ron Thorpe of Thorp's Bargain Barn and turned up at Westmead, the car was known as the Weiand Special and ran at the hillclimbs. Can you post a copy of this shot on this site pleaase Mr Sevenoaks.[/quote]
There is a great story on the Algie Brothers in the Street Machine HOT ROD 2012 Annual.
They are the guys who opened the first of the Hogs Breath Cafes.
Ken.
mr imp

Post by mr imp »

Is this the one you are talking about Bob.

Hope it is alright with Ken7 for me to post it here.

Graham

Aspire to inspire before you expire.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it
k7oaks

Post by k7oaks »

mr imp wrote:Is this the one you are talking about Bob.

Hope it is alright with Ken7 for me to post it here.

Yeah Mate, go for it. That photo is low resolution, if still needed, I can post a better resolution one later
Ken 7
mr imp

Post by mr imp »

Thanks Ken.

I had not read this thread before, so last night I sat down and went through most of the posts, all 28 pages.

It bought back some foggy memories of guys I had met or knew.

Back in 1991 my aortic valve broke and I blacked out at work with lack of blood going to the brain, didn’t do the brain the world of good and I have had a lot of trouble with the old memories, they are there but I have trouble bringing them out.

Bill Warner was one, I went with him and some other guys down to Wollongong where he was racing, I would have been about 20 at the time.

Dick Britton was another one, he was at Ryde, not sure how I knew him, I think he was a friend of a friend.

I worked at the Shell Service Station in Wicks Road Nth Ryde before the new site was built, it was owned by the Frew brothers, Bill and Arthur, I was the workshop foreman.

After the new service station was built I had the workshop underneath it, last time I went down Wicks Road they had rebuilt it again, took the service off the concrete drive and built a smaller shop on the northern side with more pumps and a bigger awning, I presume the workshop is still there under the driveway.

The reason I found the other links was because I was looking for information on the speedway I thought was in Parramatta Park, Dad had taken us as kids there many times.

It turned out to be Westmead Speedway, I remember we used to drive through Parramatta Park to get there, it is now the children’s hospital.

Christmas of 1959 I started my apprenticeship at Hillsdons for Holden in Anderson Street Parramatta, I lived at Epping.

As I said I have met a lot of people who were into the car scene, but the memories are unclear and they come and go.

Before this section was made for the “Oz Hotrodding History” I had said in another post that my cousin was Trevor Shields who used to race speedway, it has been many years since I have seen him and I have lost contact with him.

Does anyone know of him, where he may be or if he is still with us, he would be about 70 now.

Any information would be good as I would like to make contact with him.
Graham

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it
28 fordave

Post by 28 fordave »

Graham, what did Trevor ride/drive? That'll be a start to check with some of the special interest groups.

WEll done on the marathon read - as you would've seen; there's a few lost souls on here pining for the old days - and its good to swap stories - we LUURVE stories!
No signature yet, still working on it. Bit like the Roadster, really!
OzeRodders Member
Historic Speedway Assoc. Australia Secretary
Bob Honeybrook

Post by Bob Honeybrook »

That is the car Graham, thanks for posting it, will wait until Mr. Sevenoaks gets back from Perth as I would like to get a very good shot of this to keep for history purposes. I seem to remember a Trevor Shields think he may have rode solos.
28 fordave

Post by 28 fordave »

Graham, a Trevor Shields was runner-up to Garry Rush as Sydney Sprintcar Champ in '83-'84 - was this him? If so, we'll send a message to Rushie and Bob Blacklaw, who was about the same time.
OzeRodders Member
mr imp

Post by mr imp »

28 fordave wrote:Graham, a Trevor Shields was runner-up to Garry Rush as Sydney Sprintcar Champ in '83-'84 - was this him? If so, we'll send a message to Rushie and Bob Blacklaw, who was about the same time.
Here is a little bit of information I found on the net.

http://www.sydneyspeedway.com.au/racefa ... stats.html

SYDNEY SPEEDWAY SPRINTCAR TRACK CHAMPIONS

1983 - 84, Garry Rush, Trevor Shields, Bob Tunks

Here are some photos I found, it would be 15-20 years since I saw him last.

Image"
Graham

k7oaks

Post by k7oaks »

Graham, I will get in contact with you & have a chinwag when I get home at the end of April. I reckon we'll have a bit in common. Seeing we're both from the Ryde area.
I know what you mean about the old "grey matter", mine hasn't been 100% since I had the stroke, got to stop & think at times.

Bob, I won't forget that photo..........if the grey matter allows :lol: :lol:
Ken 7
mr imp

Post by mr imp »

Sometimes you have a "Bright Idea", well I had one today.

I decided to ring his sponsor "Royal Purple", the young lady who answered the phone said she had heard of him as she used to work for Sydney Speedway.

She suggested I ring Sydney Speedway and ask them, I did.

I spoke to a Shaun, he told me he remembers him and according to the records the last time he raced was 2001 and he hasn't seen him since, even in the pits.

So he was racing 12 years ago.

So I will keep looking for him.
Graham

28 fordave

Post by 28 fordave »

Graham, I have heard from David Hopping that the last time he heard, Trevor was living overseas in Europe - he is going to check some more.

It has also been suggested that Peter Craft at Craft Differentials at Granville (02) 9637 1973 might have some idea - give him a call.
OzeRodders Member
mr imp

Post by mr imp »

I just rang Peter Craft and he confirmed he went to Europe bike riding, push bikes that is.

It has been about 5 years since he has seen him.

He is going to make some inquiries for me tomorrow.

Thanks for that.
Graham