C4/9/10

Go here for posts about rebuilds, parts and problems
Mopar Mick
Old Hand

C4/9/10

Post by Mopar Mick »

Is the C4/9/10 interchangable between Cleveland and Windsor?

Am looking at a C4 that was behind a Cleveland but want it to bolt up to a Windsor.

If possible an answer before tomorrow as I am going to buy it tomorrow if the above checks out. Thank you.

Mick.
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.
Cool23

Post by Cool23 »

Mick, Why not look for a C6 ? Stronger box.
Pep
Old Hand

Post by Pep »

C6 is overkill IMHO.....Mick, as long as its a late model Windsor then it should bolt up. To be sure, just do a rough measurement of the block and make a mud map.
See ya on the road or at a run somewhere!
Mopar Mick
Old Hand

Post by Mopar Mick »

Cool23, no need for C6. My wife is going to be driving this car (46 Ford)
it will run standard 302 (no mods) for longevity and reliability.

Pep you will be pleased to note the "brand" of motor we have decided on.
Am buying it off Dave. Se we can continue with communication.

Mick.
Pep
Old Hand

Post by Pep »

Good to see you have not become a lemming mate...I don't care what Ford engine..Y, FE, Windsor, Clevo, 200, 220, 250, 300 sixes, Flatty even!..as long as you don't succumb :wink: :)
Dave
Old Hand

Post by Dave »

C4/9/10 is all interchangeable b/w Windsor and Cleveland. The flex plates also interchange but the balance weights are different so if you use the flywheel/flexplate from one on the other it needs to be rebalanced. The standard C4 is the smallest in physical size. C9 and C10 run a larger bellhousing and the C10 has the dipstick tube going into the pan so is easily recognised. I had a C10 in my '46 with a rebalanced Clevo drive plate. They are tight but they do fit. Ford called all the gearboxes a C4 by the way, but the trade call them 4, 9 or 10. The C6 is easily recognised by the one piece casing but are not common in small block pattern. Most are the big block with ribbed case (429/460) which are unsuitable. You could also use an FMX though I am no big fan of them or the early Ford AOD 4 speed which are a good box but the late ones are electronically controlled. I can put you onto a guy who knows about AOD's and ran one in his early Mustang behind a Windsor (runs a trans shop) and has set them up behind late model injected Windsors.
Dave Petrusma
Cool23

Post by Cool23 »

Mick Kelly wrote:Cool23, no need for C6. My wife is going to be driving this car (46 Ford)
it will run standard 302 (no mods) for longevity and reliability.

Pep you will be pleased to note the "brand" of motor we have decided on.
Am buying it off Dave. Se we can continue with communication.

Mick.
OK then all you need to do is make sure you have the correct bellhousing with the C4 pattern to bolt up.

If you need I have a connection here in Castlemaine that is an expert with Ford Auto's. He built the C6 for me to use behind the Cummins Diesel. He also has a good source for them as well so if the one you look at is no good PM me and I will give you a contact for him.

Like Dave I am not a fan of the FMX. I do not like the AOD boxes either. After market overdrive like US Gear or the Gear Vendors are good but will you need that with what you are building :?:
a25Chevrod

Post by a25Chevrod »

Wouldnt it be easier to bolt the Turbo 400 to the Smallblock CHEV and get real reliability

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

a25Chevrod :!:
I love anything that turns $$$$ into Noise

It's never too late, to have a happy childhood!!

Live everyday like its your last because one day it will be
Mopar Mick
Old Hand

Post by Mopar Mick »

A 25 Chevrod, that's why we are sticking with a Ford driveline.
We don't want it breaking down!

Cool 23, the motor I am buying off Dave has the "bellhousing attached" so I presume it was for a C4.

Dave, so the worst case scenario is that I may have to get another "flexplate"?
I think it is then worth the risk at the price for the transmission I am looking at is "right".

Mick.
Dave
Old Hand

Post by Dave »

That Windsor has a C4 bellhousing and flexplate attached. C9 and C10 have a larger bellhousing and each uses a different flywheel or in other words there are 3 different gearboxes, 2 bellhousings, 3 converters and 3 flywheels if that makes sense. If you get a normal everyday early C4 it will bolt right up as is. If you buy a C9 or C10 you will need it complete with bellhousing and flexplate to suit.
Dave Petrusma
Mopar Mick
Old Hand

Post by Mopar Mick »

Dave, I think I will take a chance and go ahead and buy this transmission tomorrow. It has a bell housing attached.

Mick.
Mopar Mick
Old Hand

Post by Mopar Mick »

We now have a "C10" bought it today. Came with torque convertor, sandwich plate, shifter, linkages, kick down rod and new trans mount.

Mick.
Pep
Old Hand

Post by Pep »

Kick down rod...do they have them?...I can't remember seeing a place for one on mine.
chop_shop

Post by chop_shop »

gday pep yep the early ones (up to xc) the kickdown rod, after that it was a cable, both have a pivoting arm that locates off the bolt retaining the netrual safety switch, the bolt has two flat faces for it to key onto....if you need a rod let me know, but in some rods a cable operated one works well, i got an aftermarket one (lokar) from hotrod hardware, cost a fortune but works well (and is braided)

chop_shop
Mopar Mick
Old Hand

Post by Mopar Mick »

Pep, remember the XW/XY Falcons. They had the accellerator linkage coming out of the firewall just in front of the accellerator. This went up and connected to the carby. On auto trans another arm came off this and connected up to the "kickdown rod".

A very sturdy arrangement and being a mechanical linkage nothing much ever went wrong with them. I may even consider transplanting the whole arrangement into the 46. If I can find one.

Mick.