1970's Magnum mags

Go here for general posts relating to Hotrods and Customs, Pre 71 only!
slightlydangerous
Location: The Dusty Adelaide Plains Home of the Mighty Crows & A Slightly Dangerous Dragster

Re: 1970's Magnum mags

Post by slightlydangerous »

I thought the same thing the 14 is probably not a magnum lets forget that one :lol: .

But these are , the same style i had on my HQ 14 inch all round ...way back

them Magnum push on caps were often replaced with Aunger style screw on caps as they come flying off , like on S/D

different back space will give a different dish . and just to confuse us even more heres a pic of my 15 X 10 US Indy's

im trying to have 2 sets of wheels different sizes 15 x 8 which i have and 15 x 10 so i can try out different width rubber but the Indys back space is all wrong

So ill proberly have my spare Dragways made up into 15 inch rims

I live life in the fast lane but my hair just couldn't keep up!!

I'm not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings. I'm a drunk, I go to parties
Retro Boy

Post by Retro Boy »

zacs56 wrote:I have 14 x 7 , 14 x 6 and 15 x 8 and a 1/2 but sorry all chev or hq stud pattern .which have screw on caps 4 screw holes .
Yes i got heaps of them as i did have a yard full of holden one tonners at 1 stage
Can I put my hand up for a pair of 15's
Cheers
https://www.facebook.com/OldRaceCarsHotRodsInSheds
42inter

Post by 42inter »

Andy I'll Drag them out of the container and see what I've actually got!
I'm guessing your after 14 x 6 in a ford pattern? or do you want 14 x 8's
Cheers, Scotty.
It is true you cannot make a silk purse from a sow's ear.
.......... However most days I try to take a pigs arse and turn it into a hand crafted leather wallet!
Andyd

Post by Andyd »

Inter42, I'm looking for a pair of 14 x 6" Magnum rims that match the 15 x10's I have on the rear, Ford bolt pattern.......
........Slightly D you refer to magnums with a push on centre cap.....the Magnums I purchased, ie both front and rear never had a push on cap, the only centre caps I have ever had for both the front and rear rims including the oddball 14x6 possible Valiant rims that I currently have on the front of the car have been the genuine Magnum caps with 5 ears and 4 screws holding them onto the wheel centre.........tho', just to confuse this even more.....I have been able to get a loan of one alloy smooth/curved centre wheel that has "Sampson Engineering South Australia 14 x6" cast around the inside mounting face, this wheel has the Magnum style wheel bolt setup with a steel washer inset into the alloy, BUT it must use the push on centre cap as there is no screw holes for a screw held cap......it is indentical to those "HQ" ones you had.......lol........this is getting crazy.......lol.............andyd.
slightlydangerous
Location: The Dusty Adelaide Plains Home of the Mighty Crows & A Slightly Dangerous Dragster

( never take my dripple as gospel :wink: ) , i thought mine had push on caps , (could be wrong )

the rims on S/D has a lip in the centre hole i would think would have been to secure the cap

maybe early and latter rims as i Do remember that the push on caps had a habit of flying off when smoking them up

and we bought screw on caps and fitted ourselves .

been searching and these wheels on ebay are advertised as Magnums and have no screw holes .... buggered if i know :lol:

compact
Old Hand

Post by compact »

andyd....does your sampsons have the raised edge that surrounds the black area wheer the nuts go??????????????
[img]http://www.ozerodders.com/images/oer-member.gif[/img]
http://www.ozerodders.com/

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Andyd

Post by Andyd »

Compact, yep, the 15x10 has the whole black centre raised about 1/16th proud of the rest of the polished wheel, centre cap held on with 4 screws...........just had a thoughtie.........lol.........I might take a wheel off and see if it has any numbers, names etc........if it doesn't say Sampson Engineering I'll go slit me throat........will take a wheel off tomorrow night........better find my blunt, rusty knife just in case.......lol.....Andyd
compact
Old Hand

Post by compact »

the sampsons i have have a raise bit as it gets to the blak the it goes back down where the black is....
[img]http://www.ozerodders.com/images/oer-member.gif[/img]
http://www.ozerodders.com/

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
slightlydangerous

Andyd wrote:Inter42, I'm looking for a pair of 14 x 6" Magnum rims that match the 15 x10's I have on the rear, Ford bolt pattern.......
........Slightly D you refer to magnums with a push on centre cap.....the Magnums I purchased, ie both front and rear never had a push on cap, the only centre caps I have ever had for both the front and rear rims including the oddball 14x6 possible Valiant rims that I currently have on the front of the car have been the genuine Magnum caps with 5 ears and 4 screws holding them onto the wheel centre.........tho', just to confuse this even more.....I have been able to get a loan of one alloy smooth/curved centre wheel that has "Sampson Engineering South Australia 14 x6" cast around the inside mounting face, this wheel has the Magnum style wheel bolt setup with a steel washer inset into the alloy, BUT it must use the push on centre cap as there is no screw holes for a screw held cap......it is indentical to those "HQ" ones you had.......lol........this is getting crazy.......lol.............andyd.
Here we are , these are the early rim with the push on cap :wink:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... ink:top:en

Harv

Post by Harv »

Digging up an old thread, and hoping to be schooled on Sampson Engineering.

Reading through the thread, there are some different versions of Sampson wheels mentioned - Magnums, Eliminator, MKII etc. Memories can get blurry (like mine :oops:), and many of the wheels are similar to mags supplied by different vendors.

Does anyone have old adverts or a catalogue which shows the various Sampson wheels?

Cheers,
Harv
Andyd

Post by Andyd »

harv.........I just noticed that someone had regurjitated this old thread..........lol...........AFAIK no one has come up with a catalog/advert or definitive rundown of what Sampson Engineering made under their "magnum" brand........I ended up getting five 14x6" Ford bolt pattern Magnums about 3 or4 years ago from a guy on the north side of Brisbane and cleaned up a pair to run on the Dodge, they use the same style of wheel nut that the rear 15 x 10's use with a flate washer that insets into the alloy........was able to get some swish wheel nuts so all is good.......lol..........wish I could post pics on this site.......lol..........andyd
Harv

Post by Harv »

Thanks Andy.

I'm in the process of building an FB sedan. Aiming for street and strip use, and recognise it will be really ugly on the street. 154ci grey motor, dry sump, McGee alky injected, Norman blown, Vertex magneto, Repco headed. Got most of the parts now, just need to make them all glue together. Expensive way to go fast slowly :lol:

I've got Sampson Magnums in 13x6, 13x7 and 13x8. With the different offsets, the 13x6 clash with the kingpin front end, but the 13x7 fit well. Need lockdown to end so I can pickup the 13x8's and have a play.

There are slight differences in the wheels, and I wondered if perhaps some were MK1s, some MK2s etc. Hopefully someone has some old magazine ads.

Those flat plate washers are a bugger to get out once they have corroded in place. Got mine out (tap tap, move, tap tap, repeat) and have some stainless washers to suit.

Would love to lay my hands on the centre caps that use self tappers to hold them on, but they seem rare as hens teeth.

Cheers,
Harv
olfrt

Post by olfrt »

Harv. Can't send you this by PM, and it's totally off topic. Have a look at this blokes site for Grey motor droolworthy stuff. He has made his own engine block, amongst other things.
http://swarfman64.blogspot.com/2020/12/steel-grey.html
To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Impressive. I cant even drill a hole straight :oops:

Cheers.
Harv
Andyd

Post by Andyd »

Harv....interesting what you say about the centre caps that use the self tappers.........as far as I know there are at least 2 different types of these caps.....some have a small diameter for the 4 screws, some have a larger/wider spacing for these screws...........mine are the smaller diameter from memory.I think I have some of the wider ones as spares.........what ones do you need?........I'll have a look tomorrow at what I have.........andyd