1945 Austin 10

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
Tappet Head

1945 Austin 10

Post by Tappet Head »

Recently I bout a lovely Austin 10, Its 100% original, even has a rebuilt motor in it back to factory specs with remetaled bores !!. Its all there but in parts, even came with a spare grill. What I plan to di with it ?? well I dunno 100% but something will happen !! I chose the Austin because its different, and I plan to repower it, either with a 308 or a Rotary engine to be really different. I did think about a 4 cyl upgrade but if I'm going to go threw all that work, might as well do it right!!. I have decided to keep the Body and trimmings as stock as I can, bar the removal of the bumpers. Colour scheme is already sorted !! and so is wheel choice!.

I read of the Morris ten build on here, and happen to have a gemini at my finger tips, so I'll have that parked here shortly and will strip it and check out if its viable.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Atm its just all sitting together to see how it all looks, and I love it, Brittish metal meeting Aussie Muscle, or maybe Jap Ricer!!. I may still end up restoring it just for kicks until I sort out were I head with it.
The drive line and brakes are all new but a few problems from sitting, so will need removal and redoing, and rebuild the shocks. bit of Rust I need to remove and bobs ya uncle!!
54cussy

Re: 1945 Austin 10

Post by 54cussy »

If it was me, I would just restore it if its complete and has a reco motor sitting in it. Nice looking car.
Well those are my principals and if you don't like them I do have others.
Tappet Head

Post by Tappet Head »

Well the Gemini was toast, and no chassis, its all modular, didnt check the year model, but its one fo the first sedans. So onto the next hunt. He has a few HQ tonner chass's there, so will Nab that as there free, and comes with a disc brake rear from a Statesman that'll go straight onto my Coupe.

On a plus note, he had a chassis there from a Toyota Corona, looked the goods, but completely rusted out. Its a little long, but easy to shorten if allowable.
Mudgy
Old Hand

Post by Mudgy »

Hey Tap, welcome to OzRodders Mate.

Someone here may know what stuff will fit that car...eventually!
Does the chassis go right through, or does it have a pressed floor?

Skinny car mate, under that dash could fill up with stuff in no time.

Good luck with it mate 8)
Good Judgement comes from experience....experience comes from bad judgement.
Tappet Head

Post by Tappet Head »

the Gemini is slighly narrower, but 20mm longer on the wheel base, If the struts werent so high it would be fine and could probably use some bush mechanics and graft it on nicely. The Austin got a Full chassis in it now with two rails, the Floor is screwd on in some spots, welded in others. I'll be pulling the top off soon so will grab a heap of pics of it. The Corona chassis looks to be the best and easiest option for grafting.

Going hunting threw wrecking yards with Kasper tomorrow to see what options are available.
Mudgy
Old Hand

Post by Mudgy »

OK cool. Say gidday to him for me.
Good Judgement comes from experience....experience comes from bad judgement.
hirns

Post by hirns »

Well, you got a chassis which is more than I've got. The gemini front end that I think you referred to from my post was welded into a non chasis monocoupe front end. If I had the chasis I'd be narrowing a l300 crossmember and welding it in, may even pull that off yet. Second choice an old Torana front end. However, to answer you question it depends on where you wish to go.... Stock or V8 modded. You need to decide the direction first! :)
CabCoupe

Post by CabCoupe »

Yay another pom rod.

Check out barnsey's 48 Vauxhall or Angliadon and Cheech Wizards builds. They're pretty much the same car as the Austin dimension wise. I have the same car as barnsey and intend going down the same route as he has with the suspension. Lj Tori IFS and Volvo IRS is the most common and probably the simplest and have the same stud patterns. Stick with the original chassis as there will be engineering and registrations issues. Its more than strong enough once its boxed and it fits the car already.

Good luck with the build and welcome aboard. Just remember on this forum us boys like plenty of pics of the build.

Mick.
Tappet Head

Post by Tappet Head »

Tappet Head

Post by Tappet Head »

While in Mackay I shot off to Sarina wreckers and had a scout around, came home with this Front end that was lying beside a EK, to me it looks like a Torana front thats been modded to fit the EK

Any Idea's ????

Also had a look at a ford BA independent rear end and run into a bloke rodding an Austin 7 using a Mitsu Van front end.
angliadon
Old Hand

Post by angliadon »

Angliadon Member OZERODDERS President Northern District Rod & Custom Brisbane. QLD ASRF State Secretary.
CabCoupe

Post by CabCoupe »

Thats them
Tappet Head wrote:While in Mackay I shot off to Sarina wreckers and had a scout around, came home with this Front end that was lying beside a EK, to me it looks like a Torana front thats been modded to fit the EK

Any Idea's ????

Also had a look at a ford BA independent rear end and run into a bloke rodding an Austin 7 using a Mitsu Van front end.
Thats what you want, looks stock. The L300 can be used but from what I've read there needs to be a lot of pruning done on them.
Dont disgard the volvo 240 diff they are a Borg warner type and are pretty strong hence a few rodders have used them and they may be a bit narrower than the ba one.
angliadon
Old Hand

Post by angliadon »

I had to narrow the LJ front end 100mm to fit the Anglia.The ED Falcon diff was narrowed 300mm.
Angliadon Member OZERODDERS President Northern District Rod & Custom Brisbane. QLD ASRF State Secretary.
Cheech Wizard

Post by Cheech Wizard »

I kept the LJ Torana front end at it's stock width (which means I will need to widen my guards) using dropped VT spindles and shortened a Borg Warner LSD out of a VK. Different horses run different courses...but we all end up at the finish line...........................................................eventually.
Fuel injection is nice.... but I'd rather be BLOWN!!
CabCoupe

Post by CabCoupe »

Cheech Wizard wrote:I kept the LJ Torana front end at it's stock width (which means I will need to widen my guards) using dropped VT spindles and shortened a Borg Warner LSD out of a VK. Different horses run different courses...but we all end up at the finish line...........................................................eventually.
Off topic here Cheech but i see you're selling the roadster pickup.