1945 Austin 10

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
Tappet Head

Re: 1945 Austin 10

Post by Tappet Head »

Havent Discarded the vovlo rear, just havent come across a volvo yet.

I was looking at Narrowing the set up, but I dont mind pumping the guards, I'm planning 1to 2 inch's a side, they I should be able to fit decent rubber and help make her a little more curvey. Still in the planning stages but will strip the front out of the Austin for now and place the Tori front and 308 up there for shits and giggles, then do a few measurements to work out my plan of attack.
CabCoupe

Post by CabCoupe »

Have good read thru barnsey's build. He's used the volvo diff with deep offset rims and widened the guards 4ins. The front I think the front guards were left stock but the Austin front may be different width. The other bonus with the Volvo rear is that its disc brake. Also if you go V8 the Rover V8 is quite a compact motor so a few guys doing the pomrods have gone down that path too. Good luck with the mock up
Tappet Head

Post by Tappet Head »

you wouldnt beleive it but I have a complete low klm Rover injected v8 at my disposal!!! and yeah its very compact and I have thought about it quite hard, but pommy bits are to darn expensive.
CabCoupe

Post by CabCoupe »

Hows this then. barnsey's first Vauxhall build.

Image[/quote]

Heres an old post by barnsey.
barnsey wrote:there are a lot of performance products around for rover some companys make a 3.5 out to 5.2 litre http://www.rpiv8.com/ordering.htm this site has a lot of stuff and tech tips cheers barnsey ps heres a kool manifold i found there Image
Best pm barnsey he's got heaps of info that will help you and while you're at ask wheres the updates on his build. :)
Tappet Head

Post by Tappet Head »

ImageImage

I style side chassis I have, and a Stateman front

I also got the disc brake rear end from that stateman front, probably going to bolt it into the coupe, the motor from this is going into the Austin

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid136.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq175%2Fwickedweazel%2FThe%2520ST4%2520Project%2FVID_20120825_154256.mp4">

First time it has run in ten years, the original block is going back into the coupe, This one into the Austin, its still on original bore size.
Tappet Head

Post by Tappet Head »

The Coupe is nearly finished, so starting to chase a few more bits for the austin, Been hunting a Volvo rear end for it, any Ideas on year models of the 240 to use ? Been ringing around with out much luck.
Tappet Head

Post by Tappet Head »

ImageImage

Ripped out the Austin 10 donk and gear box today, bit of rust has taken on on a few spots so going to sort it then throw it back in the container after I have finished fitting the shelves, so feck all progress, but I have to get it ready to move a few 100klms up the road.

ImageImage

Also picked up these two VX's for chips, orginally I thought I got one, but when I went to pick it up he had two there for me. Ones in good order so fixing it. the other has great mechanics and electrical, and all the parts that I wanted for the interior of the Austin.

Image Also got this holden Chassis, but still no diff yet, been busy and havent been looking. this chassis is probably going to another project.
Tappet Head

Post by Tappet Head »

I'm thinking of selling this if anyone is interested let me know, but for now its locked up in my shipping container until I finish Elle. Will be with the Tory front end, still havent sourced the volvo rear end.
Tappet Head

Post by Tappet Head »

Alot has changed and the Austin has an 8 sitting in it. plenty of room up there for a 308( with an electric water pump you can fit in with small amount of fire wall work. I have gone back to my original plan and the Chassis I got is under my chev truck with a holden VT rear and brakes up front, but its just been put together to see where things will sit.

Its taken me quite a while to finalize me plan but its been done and getting submitted as soon as I get a call back from the TAC hotline to check on one requirement. Then not much will happen after that as I have a wedding to pay for.

Drive line is a HQ Red 308 with a 6/71, Turbo 350 and looking for a 9" Drum brake rear gave up on hunting a volvo rear up here. Chassis is going to be the original frame laminated and new double K frame and cross members, I was going to manufacture a full new chassis, but opted to go more traditional as they were built in the day.
Rear is Ladder bar ( the bit I'm waiting to chat to em about) with coil overs, Front is Leaf on a straight axle.

And yep if you old school, you know what I'm going for! I have gone against all the peoples preference( independent front, four link rear, dropped in the ground) and gone old school.

Now that I know where its all sitting, its going into my sandblast booth out back as it rusted like hell in the container and getting tidied up. It'll get some paint to seal it, probably weld threw primer if it keeps some moister out then live in there for a while as Ellie has just come back from paint and requires all my shed space.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mudgy
Old Hand

Post by Mudgy »

Got yr text yesterday mate. Looking good

So you're getting hitched! 8)
Good Judgement comes from experience....experience comes from bad judgement.
Tappet Head

Post by Tappet Head »

Mudgy wrote:Got yr text yesterday mate. Looking good

So you're getting hitched! 8)
Gotta when ya got a girl like this one, loves working on the cars. She wants this one.

Had a few people against the way im going about it, as its not in the traditional line of things to the current age, but its well within the way they were back in the day. Engineers stoked I went back to my old plan, he's pretty excited as it annoys everyone, and that's why I like it to!!.

Old blues on the way home to mudgy, Ellie looking smick.
Mudgy
Old Hand

Post by Mudgy »

Mate it's your car. Do what you want. The only one you have to please is yourself.

When you say ol blue, You mean the blue station wagon?

Do you still have the Suzuki?
Good Judgement comes from experience....experience comes from bad judgement.
Tappet Head

Post by Tappet Head »

Mudgy wrote:Mate it's your car. Do what you want. The only one you have to please is yourself.

When you say ol blue, You mean the blue station wagon?

Do you still have the Suzuki?
Yeah mate the Suzi is over 300 000KLMs now, Ive rebuilt the box and new suspenders under it, just have to do the king pins next and it will have a complete new drive line. Old blue is me wagon, missed him to much, and planning on him being my Daily driver, misses is getting the suzi when she gets her licence, and I'll be in old blue, as I mite sell the SS
Tappet Head

Post by Tappet Head »

Well its been a bloody while, A few cyclones later, bush fires, moving, getting married and building other cars, I'm back into Squirter. Mainly been doing repairs after Debbie but now back on track and most of the K frame in, I was planning to double K it but there isn't the room and that decision was over kill, Got one rear brave to fit and its out of the jig and back under the chassis so I can assemble and check a few measurements. found two 9 inches about the right size but no volvo diffs yet, got the wheels ages ago, torque thrust originals, lead wiped the roof skin, most of the rust from the body gone, still got to remove the drip rails but for now, I'll leave them. I have to move again in 6 months, so pushing to get it to sorta rolling so I can move it. some of the wleds I need to gouge out and redo, didnt get the penetration or finish on them :evil: must of been a little dry on the tongue.
IMAG0462.jpg
IMAG0464.jpg
IMAG0465.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tappet Head

Post by Tappet Head »

well, Finally I have a shed and the Austin out of the container, have had a few days on it so will up load progress images soon