Vintage Speedway Action Today

Posts relating to early (Pre 1985) Hotrodding History in Australia, including Hotrod and Custom Shows plus early Drag Racing, Speedway, Hillclimbs etc.
28 fordave

Vintage Speedway Action Today

Post by 28 fordave »

After some discussion with 324dor (Ken), we decided to start this thread to store images of the old cars and bikes.

NOT as they appeared back in the day - if you have old pictures from back then, please post them, together with stories and yarns about the old days; in the appropriate thread e.g. "Old Sydney Speedway". Pics like this one:

Howard Revell in the "Big Berco" #2 with Eddie Dark and crew - Westmead circa 1966

If there isn't a thread for your historical stuff, START ONE! e.g. "Old W.A. Speedway", etc.

We feel these historical threads shouldn't have modern photos in them, unless you are pointing out context e.g. how a car has changed (or stayed the same!).

But a lot of us have photos we've taken at MODERN shows, runs, practice and club days; and so on - wherever the oldies have gathered. Like this one:

"Big Berco" #2 at Vintage Speedway Spectacular Grafton 2012

This is about creating the history our young 'uns can follow - these might be the only photos and videos that will exist of some of these cars - we love 'em, and we want you to as well!

We can't set rules, we're only common members, after all - but we would like everyone to follow some simple guidelines.

1. You see an old car or bike anywhere, take a pic and post it up.

2. BUT, any old tin WON'T do - it should have been raced in Oz/NZ prior to 1985.

3. Try and identify the owner, any drivers and previous owners, racing history - it adds to the story.

4. To do this, talk to the owner - you may be very surprised how much involvement the old fellahs had with the birth of hotrodding in this country!

5. This thread is about SPEEDWAY - please confine the pics to solos, stockers, outfits, midgets (of every size), hot rods (the speedway version!), supermods, sprinters, stockcars, saloons, anything raced on short track ovals.

6. Identify the event and date at the beginning of your post, so we can see context.

7. As our pages fill, if you have queries or corrections - PM the poster, so they can fix whatever's wrong - or add some interesting tidbit. Let's see if we can keep the thread relatively free of complimentary posts. We know you'll love it.

So let's go - engage dogbox - fuel on - pressure up - magneto on - Push Off!

No signature yet, still working on it. Bit like the Roadster, really!
OzeRodders Member
Historic Speedway Assoc. Australia Secretary
Dave
Old Hand

Re: Vintage Speedway Action Today

Post by Dave »

A friend of mine has a huge collection of old photos from Victorian Speedways, a lot from Tracey's but many others as well including Grand Prix pics with Brabham and a lot of other racing from the 50's and early 60's. He is scanning them and will give me a disc full when all done. His father raced through that period but passed away a few years ago. All the pictures have recently been rediscovered. Look out for a Vic thread soon.
Dave Petrusma
28 fordave

Post by 28 fordave »

Dave wrote:A friend of mine has a huge collection of old photos from Victorian Speedways, a lot from Tracey's but many others as well including Grand Prix pics with Brabham and a lot of other racing from the 50's and early 60's. He is scanning them and will give me a disc full when all done. His father raced through that period but passed away a few years ago. All the pictures have recently been rediscovered. Look out for a Vic thread soon.
That would be fantastic, Dave - Sydney did hog the limelight somewhat - but there is great history from the rest of the country as well.
OzeRodders Member
woody28A
Old Hand
Location: "About forty-five minutes southeast of Thibodeaux, Louisiana" or "Hobbitsville"

Post by woody28A »

28 fordave wrote:
Dave wrote:A friend of mine has a huge collection of old photos from Victorian Speedways, a lot from Tracey's but many others as well including Grand Prix pics with Brabham and a lot of other racing from the 50's and early 60's. He is scanning them and will give me a disc full when all done. His father raced through that period but passed away a few years ago. All the pictures have recently been rediscovered. Look out for a Vic thread soon.
That would be fantastic, Dave - Sydney did hog the limelight somewhat - but there is great history from the rest of the country as well.
C'mon "28 fordave" Sydney didn't hog the limelight!!

The Royale, was the "Limelight" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Remember this life is a test. If it had been a real life you would have received further instructions on where to go and what to do!!!!!
324dor

Post by 324dor »

The dude who drives Ron Mackay's midget only knows one way. I've seen it three times this year & each time it's the same.
Each time the stewards attempt to get him to tone it down a bit but not with a lot of success. Great stuff.
Ken.
324dor

Post by 324dor »

Howard Revell in the "Big Berco" #2 with Eddie Dark and crew - Westmead circa 1966

Who's the tall gent on the left in the pic above? could it be the same fellow on the right in this pic with hands in pocket?
Ken.
324dor

Post by 324dor »

Here's some pics from the Vintage meeting held at Grafton earlier this year.
I'll kick it of with some Sprintcars & Super Mods.
This was the first car to wear the Valvoline colours & was raced successfully by Max Dumesny. Currently owned by Tom Chandler & Brett Howe.
This car is owned & driven by Leigh Drennan who was the organiser/promoter at Grafton. It was previously raced by Brooke Tatnell & was a prolific winner.
Don't have any details on the next 3 but they are owned by in order-- 53 Andy McGregor , 80 Gary Stacey & 25 Brian Linigen. I think that Brian has always owned his car.
The C.A.E. Sprintcar 3 is owned by Ian Kennedy.
The yellow Sprintcar in the backgroung here Q7 is owned by Barry Skimmings & was raced by Ray Ballieu.
Ken.
woody28A
Old Hand
Location: "About forty-five minutes southeast of Thibodeaux, Louisiana" or "Hobbitsville"

Post by woody28A »

324dor wrote:Image

Who's the tall gent on the left in the pic above? could it be the same fellow on the right in this pic with hands in pocket?
Ken.
Ken, I think he's the current owner of one of the Berco's. Dave Johnson. Used to race Karts with him and his son. If it's not him, it sure looks a lot like him.
Remember this life is a test. If it had been a real life you would have received further instructions on where to go and what to do!!!!!
28 fordave

Post by 28 fordave »

woody28A wrote:Ken, I think he's the current owner of one of the Berco's. Dave Johnson. Used to race Karts with him and his son. If it's not him, it sure looks a lot like him.
Certainly is - here with his restored "Little Berco"
OzeRodders Member
fredeuce

Post by fredeuce »

A swag of pics I took at the Ekka on my visit up there in 2009 . Great event . If ever you have the chance to get along this is one of the premier vintage speedway meetings here in Oz.

fredeuce
fredeuce

Post by fredeuce »

Another bunch same meeting

fredeuce
fredeuce

Post by fredeuce »

Last bunch. Some nice hot rods on display there too!

fredeuce
324dor

Post by 324dor »

Fredeuce.
Thanks for posting those great pics.
The late Kevin Parks kept telling me to get up to the Ekka. Unfortunately, I never took enough notice.
Through the 60's, the Ekka was a Saturday night ritual.
There are some beautiful Midgets amongst that lot but the Outfit at the end that belongs to Ray Andrieaux takes some beating.
This past 12 months I've seen it twice at Grafton & more recently at Southgate. It is a beautiful machine & goes real hard too.
Ken.
Theyeti
Old Hand

Post by Theyeti »

Loven this thread
Pariahs C.C.
What Could Possibly Go Wrong
Grazza
Old Hand

Post by Grazza »

Yea, well I would like it officially noted .......................... I HATE BOTH KEN FOR GOING ALONG WITH THE IDEA AND YOU, DAVID, FOR THIS THREAD, SO THERE!!!!. Here I am, stuck in a new house, no shed, no chance of getting the 'Steel Rack' finished and here you are posting up more great pic's of classic speedway vehicles. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I bet you are still hunting and gathering as well, aren't you? Got the wog Offy home yet?

Until the shed's built and the Rod is planted back inside it, keep posting these pic's up mate. It is really great therapy for an old bloke like me.
Graeme
I will forever defend your right
to disagree with my opinion.

"Within 5mm is Close Enough"