Vintage Speedway Action Today

Posts relating to early (Pre 1985) Hotrodding History in Australia, including Hotrod and Custom Shows plus early Drag Racing, Speedway, Hillclimbs etc.
324dor

Re: Vintage Speedway Action Today

Post by 324dor »

Grazza wrote:Yea, well I would like it officially noted .......................... I HATE BOTH KEN FOR GOING ALONG WITH THE IDEA AND YOU, DAVID, FOR THIS THREAD, SO THERE!!!!. Here I am, stuck in a new house, no shed, no chance of getting the 'Steel Rack' finished and here you are posting up more great pic's of classic speedway vehicles. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I bet you are still hunting and gathering as well, aren't you? Got the wog Offy home yet?

Until the shed's built and the Rod is planted back inside it, keep posting these pic's up mate. It is really great therapy for an old bloke like me.
Duly noted Grazza. :) Guess it's time for a few more pics then. From Grafton May 2012.
A couple of bike pics first up. This one is the Ray Andrieaux outfit. He & his passenger were lucky to come away unscathed when the front brake locked on while the bike was travelling at pace. The incident happened right near where we were sitting. Fortunately they pulled up without hitting the fence.
Next is the Suzuki of Greg Griffiths.
A couple of Solos, the one at the rear is John Lennon.
And then some Solo action. Not a good pic but our vantage point at the time was not conducive to taking photos.
To finish this lot off, some of the LEGENDS of Speedway about to be paraded around the track.

Ken.
324dor

Post by 324dor »

And speaking of Legends, this guy sure fits that category. Sid Middlemass. I was talking to the Jenkins family at the Southgate meeting & they thought that Sid was about 82 years young in these photos.
Ken.
28 fordave

Post by 28 fordave »

324dor wrote: Image
Next is the Suzuki of Greg Griffiths.
First time I took my missus-to-be for a wander through the pits (on our first date doin' MY type of night out), she was looking at the outfits and asked "What are the little platforms for?"

I told her it was where the passenger rested his balls - she didn't gettit til the first race! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
No signature yet, still working on it. Bit like the Roadster, really!
OzeRodders Member
Historic Speedway Assoc. Australia Secretary
Nailhead Bucket

Post by Nailhead Bucket »

28 fordave wrote: First time I took my missus-to-be for a wander through the pits (on our first date doin' MY type of night out)

You're worse than me 28 fordave, at least I waited till the second date, 'er indoors reckons she shudda taken the hint and run a mile right then. :D
The older I get, the more everyone else can bite my arse.
324dor

Post by 324dor »

28 fordave wrote.
First time I took my missus-to-be for a wander through the pits (on our first date doin' MY type of night out), she was looking at the outfits and asked "What are the little platforms for?"

I told her it was where the passenger rested his balls - she didn't gettit til the first race! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Very appropriate Dave. BIG BALLS at that.

Some more pics from Grafton. Two Junior Speedcars.
First one is owned by Gary McClenahan ex Midget driver from Sydney.

Next is John Loxtons beautifully restored car. John has been around the Hot Rod & Custom scene in Brisbane since the mid 60's.
He was responsible for the bodywork on 2 of Brisbanes early 32 Roadsters namely the cars of John Anderson & Keith Cunnington.
Will finish this installment with a few Cageless Midgets.
60 above is Leigh Drennans F.I. Holden powered car while the one below is I think owned by Syd Stanbury.
N.Z.99 above is owned by Paul Wheeler & previously raced in N.Z. by Leo Vercoe.
N.S.W.23 is the old Jack Moller Holden car.

Ken.
fredeuce

Post by fredeuce »

On the subject of outfits here is some footage of the famous Len Bowes outfit taken at Broadford.
Former SA and Australian Sidecar Champion .

The sound isn't too bad on this clip but is best heard live. This Vincent is very loud. Wonderful noise. Enjoy!

fredeuce
324dor

Post by 324dor »

fredeuce.
Thanks for the video link. Great stuff.

A few more pics from Grafton. The first is of some Midgets on the infield after doing some introduction laps.

Never saw this Roadster run. Still none the wiser as to its background.
The 1937 era Etter Ford V8 60.
USA78. Owned by Brian Farley & ex Lonnie Caruthers V.W.
Howard Revells V.W. powered Midget.
Ken.
324dor

Post by 324dor »

Todays instalment.
Phil Cromptons V.W.
Don't know who owns 55 above. Dave?
NZ61.Harry Berry.
71 owned by Allan Day.
The Ronald Mackay owned Mitsubishi powered NSW76.
Once again owner is unknown. Maybe Dave can help out.
The car above is Datsun powered & owned by Col Barr. Ex Skip Jackson.
N.T.50 owned by Kel Young & powered by Alfa Romeo.
Last one for today is owned by Barry Grant. Another V.W.

Ken.
Nailhead Bucket

324dor wrote:Todays instalment.
Ken.
That No14 is Barry Graham's midget. He ran midgets and sedans simultaneously at one stage. I recall he ran his sedan at Liverpool one Saturday night,
then jumped in his car and drove over to PCR to start in the midget feature that same night. Talk about keen!
Does any one recall a match race between Barry G and Howard Revell on tar at Liverpool when Barry's car got hooked up on Howard's rear nerf bar and went on for a cupla laps with the No14 swinging wildly off the back of Howard's car, before unhooking itself. The stewards were happy to let the race
continue with Barry desperately trying to avoid being flipped over.
Nailhead Bucket

Does anyone recall the visit by Larry Moore to Liverpool ? Arguably the best US sedan driver ever to race here, Ray Godsey and Rodney Coombes not withstanding.
I had been following his exploits in US Open Wheel mag at the time and was very interested to see him race. Ever the student, I watched his every move,
preperation in the pits and on the track.
He didn't disappoint, setting a new lap record and leading the feature ( 50 or 100 laps ? ) till an outside front slick let go near the end and sent him into the turn one wall.
He came, conquered and went and not much is ever mentioned about him (?).
Nailhead Bucket

Nailhead Bucket wrote:Does anyone recall the visit by Larry Moore to Liverpool ? Arguably the best US sedan driver ever to race here, Ray Godsey and Rodney Coombes not withstanding.
I had been following his exploits in US Open Wheel mag at the time and was very interested to see him race. Ever the student, I watched his every move,
preperation in the pits and on the track.
He didn't disappoint, setting a new lap record and leading the feature ( 50 or 100 laps ? ) till an outside front slick let go near the end and sent him into the turn one wall.
He came, conquered and went and not much is ever mentioned about him (?).

- Ooops, this shudda gone into the "OLd Sydney Speedway" Topic.
Mods can yu move it pls ?
Grazza
Old Hand

Post by Grazza »

Although the colours are different, #3 could be owned by Darryl Young. Ex Bryan Johnson (USA). Look to be the same car, but wudda I know. :wink:
Graeme
I will forever defend your right
to disagree with my opinion.

"Within 5mm is Close Enough"
324dor

Post by 324dor »

Nailhead Bucket wrote:
324dor wrote:Todays instalment.

That No14 is Barry Graham's midget. He ran midgets and sedans simultaneously at one stage. I recall he ran his sedan at Liverpool one Saturday night,
then jumped in his car and drove over to PCR to start in the midget feature that same night. Talk about keen!
Grazza wrote:Although the colours are different, #3 could be owned by Darryl Young. Ex Bryan Johnson (USA). Look to be the same car, but wudda I know. :wink:
Thanks Guys.Not sure where I got Grant from. There was a Darryl Young listed in the Programme. Below is a list of the Legends who were in attendance.
How many of these blokes can you recall & what vehicles did they drive/ride.
Ken.
Nailhead Bucket

OK, I'll give it a go -
1) Bikes, 3) Midgets, 4) Midgets, 5)Mods, 6) Solos, 7) I'll avoid the obvious pun, 8) Midgets, 9) midgets, 10) midgets, 11) Midgets, 12) Midgets, 23) Bikes,24) bikes, 25) Sidecars,
27) Solos, 28) Midgets, 29) Solos, 30) Midgets, 31) Sedans/Midgets.
- How did I do ? :roll:
28 fordave

Post by 28 fordave »

Quick go to fill in gaps:

2 Outfits
8 Midgets
13 Modifieds
14 Midgets/ Sprinters (should have been Barrie)
15 Midgets/ Sedans/ and Surfboards
16 Modifieds
17 Solos? - maybe from NQ?
18 Midgets/ Sedans
19 Midgets
No signature yet, still working on it. Bit like the Roadster, really!
OzeRodders Member
Historic Speedway Assoc. Australia Secretary