Old hot rods being built and regoed

Posts relating to early (Pre 1985) Hotrodding History in Australia, including Hotrod and Custom Shows plus early Drag Racing, Speedway, Hillclimbs etc.
monte
Old Hand

Old hot rods being built and regoed

Post by monte »

Here is a few pics of my brother Bert building and rego on his 32 roadster ,the other ones are Bruce Walsh building his 27 t which he sold to Leon Burss ,and John Andersons 32 which was built at southport also ,later on Bert sold the 32 to Bruce and it was in the vic hotrod show i think ,it was maybe 65 ,as you can see Berts rod was one of the first to get full rego in queensland ,no tac then

Sorry about the pics Ann will fix them later ,im not real good at this stuff
Mr Model A
Old Hand

Re: Old hot rods being built and regoed

Post by Mr Model A »

absolute classic photos monte, thanks for posting them and for the history, it's all good. :D
never odd or even
HYPORX
Old Hand

Post by HYPORX »

Photos fixed.

Did a great job of posting them. They were small because you did not change the "thumbnail" option during the upload stage.
"Obviously your ambition outweighs your talent" Casey Stoner to Valentino Rossi. 03/04/2011
rx4ord
Old Hand

Post by rx4ord »

Great pics Mont. I knew that Caleb would fix them if possible.
Thanks to you both.

Dave
Founding Member of OZ-E-Rodders
Grazza
Old Hand

Post by Grazza »

Gotta love Bruce's "fully equiped" workshop. 8)

Blokes wont build a Rod nowdays because the concrete floor in their insulated workshops ain't dead level. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Graeme
I will forever defend your right
to disagree with my opinion.

"Within 5mm is Close Enough"
StreetRodBob

Post by StreetRodBob »

as Dave said, great pics monte. :)
Regards

Bob Thomas
As for "greener" vehicles... when i were young when somebody said you were green they meant you were naive. Actually, its still the go me-thinks
28 fordave

Post by 28 fordave »

Thanks, monte - great pics - just what this area should be about.

The "NWP-###" plates on the roadster put me in mind that it was registered about 1965?
No signature yet, still working on it. Bit like the Roadster, really!
OzeRodders Member
Historic Speedway Assoc. Australia Secretary
monte
Old Hand

Post by monte »

Grazza wrote:Gotta love Bruce's "fully equiped" workshop. 8)

Blokes wont build a Rod nowdays because the concrete floor in their insulated workshops ain't dead level. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Both these cars were built under our mum and dads house ,no concrete just dirt ,not a lot of height either .I think berts rego was maybe in 63 or 64 ,i just started high school
slightlydangerous
Location: The Dusty Adelaide Plains Home of the Mighty Crows & A Slightly Dangerous Dragster

Post by slightlydangerous »

Thanks for posting these great photos :D
I live life in the fast lane but my hair just couldn't keep up!!

I'm not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings. I'm a drunk, I go to parties
rowie
Old Hand

Post by rowie »

What a great topic mate and what awesome pics to go with! You know I love this rodding history malarky ;-)
"Low Self Esteem Support Group will meet Thursday at 7 PM.. Please use the back door."

Chrysler Restorers Club of Australia
I actually drive my 1936 Dodge Resto-rod :)
324dor

Post by 324dor »

Monte.
They are great photos & also a great story to go with them.
What ever became of Berts/Bruces 32.
Here's a photo of J.A's Roadster the day I picked it up.
A mate was driving his model A pickup home from work, the ex Alan Tronc one to be precise, when he got pulled over by a motorcycle Cop. When he asked if there was a problem the Cop said no I just want to have a look at your car. He then said that there was one similar just near his place which happened to be only a few blocks away & asked old mate if he would like to see it. He said that it had only appeared there fairly recently. Well old mate just about wet his pants when he saw what car it was & asked the old chap, Johns father, if it was for sale. He said yes so later that evening old mate & I return & the deal was done. Lucky for me he already had a young family & no spare cash so I became the owner. Unfortunately everything was seized from sitting near the salt & lack of use.
So a bit later a rebuild commenced, firstly with a new frame using a 389 Poncho & Muncie. It got sold of & a bit later when Les Winter first went to the States he brought me home a new T.C.I. chassis.
This next photo is of it on the T.C.I. frame & alongsise is Dave Fairbrothers 40 Coupe.

Leons old T Roadster is still around & hopefully will one day get rebuilt.

Ken.
Last edited by 324dor on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
monte
Old Hand

Post by monte »

The 27 t roadster we found in Rosewood ,it was being used as a chook pen,i remember helping to pull it to bits ,it was in bloody good nick with no rust in the body at all ,the bits we didnt need went to the dump ,wish we had them now .I believe Leon sold the T a while back and bought a T coupe from vic
ehdave

Post by ehdave »

monte wrote:The 27 t roadster we found in Rosewood ,it was being used as a chook pen,i remember helping to pull it to bits ,it was in bloody good nick with no rust in the body at all ,the bits we didnt need went to the dump ,wish we had them now .I believe Leon sold the T a while back and bought a T coupe from vic
Have you got any other photo's of the T model, particularly how the front end was finished off? I would really appreciate seeing them if you do as i will be starting on my 27 t model in the next couple of months,

Cheers
Dave
steve the ford guy

Post by steve the ford guy »

Peter Leech had a strikingly similar channeled roadster back in 66, also with a 40 Dash and 2" widened 32 grille shell, must of been following the same build plans :wink:
monte
Old Hand

Post by monte »

steve the ford guy wrote:Image

Peter Leech had a strikingly similar channeled roadster back in 66, also with a 40 Dash and 2" widened 32 grille shell, must of been following the same build plans :wink:

Any pics would be good :) :) :)