Garage buddies

Go here for general posts relating to Hotrods and Customs, Pre 71 only!
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Re: Garage buddies

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Thanks guys. Yes our companion animals do become part of our lives and you treat them like your kids. Unfortunately every one does have an end date and our dogs have a factor of 1 year being 7 human years as the saying goes. Some breeds go longer especially smaller dogs. Sheps are supposed to have a typical life span of 10-13 yrs so I can count myself lucky,we got her from the RSPCA when she was about 18mths old as a dog that had suffered abuse. She would initially cringe at the sight of a spade or rake and would not enter a shed. The bond we had overcame all of that . Followed me around the yard. perched on her mat next to me watching telly, and had her bed next to me at night. And of an evening on weekends or indeed any other time the garage tilt a door shut she would come running to the back yard gate to go inside the house. Week days when I was at work Lynn would spoil her rotten.

Frank.
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
Mudgy
Old Hand

Post by Mudgy »

Sorry to read that news Frank.
It's tough being there when they pass.
You'll always have memories of the good times, and when they did those dopey things that made you laugh.
Good Judgement comes from experience....experience comes from bad judgement.
Kiwipaul
Old Hand

Post by Kiwipaul »

You can not beat the love of a pet and more so the longer you have them and the pain at there parting .
I have a 1942 Jail Bar Pick Up Being done (Two more years ) and a 1930-34 Continental ( In Storage)
Mr Model A
Old Hand

Post by Mr Model A »

sorry to hear of your loss Frank & Lynn, we too lost our good friend a while back and agonised
about getting another, until we saw this little fella at Coldstream Animal Aid, love at first sight
He's all grown up now and a great companion, they called him Wally
never odd or even
Gman

Post by Gman »

Frank, so sorry to hear of your loss. I had a Shep for many years, until he developed a tumour in his nose. We had the same choice, surgery, chemo, radiation, but how do you explain that to a dog? We let him keep going while he was comfortable, and when it was time, we helped him on his journey. Earlier this year, our 14 year old Lab left us in similar circumstances.

People who have never known the joy and love that a dog (or cat or whatever) can bring, may laugh at your grief, and tell you "it's only a dog, get over it". They're more than just "a dog". They're our mates, our family, our protectors, and we are their 'top dogs' and they are part of our pack.

Mr Model A, young Wally is a good looking fella!

cheers

Graeme
nassi

Post by nassi »

Sad news Frank.
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Looks like a pretty normal theme that we bond to our pets especially dogs. Cats also despite view to the contrary about being aloof can behave in a similar fashion. I do know though that over the journey my dog would read mood, This would be known to all who have dogs . I know when my dad passed away last year and I was pretty emotional, Bonnie would approach me with paw extended onto my arm head cocked sideways in an enquiring expression then pressing me with her snout. If dogs could talk I would swear that they would be asking what,s wrong She also was a protector ,any stranger to her would be greeted by a growl and the usual barking then a wagging tail once she sensed they were my friend. But always got between myself and them walking up the back yard. Did the" blocker "though with any visiting family she was familiar with also. Interesting enough, the other two little dogs and even the cat sense something different. I had to keep the smaller dogs separated from the Shep as one of the Shi Tzus is a female and Bonnie being a female played the "alpha role" and as a result the little dog got aggro with any discipline like going out the door first and ended up getting tangled with fangs ,then the male Shi Tzu would get into the mix. The cat and Bonnie were pals they would curl up together though.
Also out walking Bonnie would just about drag you down the drive once the lead was on and when settled would never walk beside or behind she had to be out front . Same applied to off lead. She had to be some 5-10 metres in front looking back occasionally for direction. I could stop and hide behind a tree watching . When she looked back .Up went the ears and she would come bounding back looking for me.
All I can say preaching no doubt to the converted love em every day . Once the remaining die off we will not replace them . We are getting older also . The Ginger moggy cat is around 13 also. I got him from the Cat protection society as a kitten the weekend after I ran over my prev ginger cat that ran out from the garden next to the drive straight under the back wheels of the Mercury when I got home from work one afternoon.
The two remaining dogs were also "rescues' from mistreatment.

Frank.
Drew50

Post by Drew50 »

Thanks for the words Frank. Looking at the same result next day or two as my Shep Ishta has started having severe walking issues she was 15 last February. Was going down the that road with the vet several weeks ago but she rebounded probably due to jessie our other shep pestering her, Still eating OK has full bladder control but the bowels not so. She was a free too good home dog at 7. Loyal and true , when the time comes I know I will be a mess. However we have another at 2 years old so life goes on. After a respectful period she will be replaced .
Sorry to hear about yours
andrew
spoggie

Post by spoggie »

I like gettin' home to see my crazy pup.
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Hi Andrew.
I will be thinking of you with this. 15 Years is a good innings for a Shep and hip probs is a known trait. Luckily ours had a "normal rake". Some said way back when she was younger that she looked like she had some Kelpie in her,but the vets said she was a Shep . Short coat and brushy tail with nice colouring. Only problem she ever had was when about 7 or 8 she let out a few yelps on a number of occasions and some squealing when she did some twists and turns. She had some issue with a sprain I think from memory a "sesamoid" to do with the foot /ankle ?. Rested her up for a few weeks with no lead walking and she never had any other issues.

Frank
Mopar Mick
Old Hand

Post by Mopar Mick »

Our oldest cat brought home a baby snake this morning (about 1 foot long and the thickness of a pencil).

I took it off her and nearly shit myself it was still alive. :shock:

I disposed of it in the wheely bin.

Just got settled again and she produced a second one! :roll:

Snakes of this size would have been born last March so thankfully no mother snake around. :)

Probably just come out of hibernation, grumpy and hungry. :evil:

I must look into getting one of those snake deterrent devices. :mrgreen:

Mick.
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Bit late but sorry to hear Frank. I know exactly how you would be feeling now. They do become part of the family but unlike kids they don't leave the nest. They are with you for life and they do leave a void in your lifestyle. All the best mate
Regards Bob
Grechy

Post by Grechy »

Not mne but my son's little helper.

Cheers Paul
HomeBuilt

Post by HomeBuilt »

Good looking American Bulldog. Mine's still a pup so she doesn't need an excavator to dig holes.
HomeBuilt

Post by HomeBuilt »

Inspecting the job.