FJ Holden's

Posts relating to early (Pre 1985) Hotrodding History in Australia, including Hotrod and Custom Shows plus early Drag Racing, Speedway, Hillclimbs etc.
King Willy

Re: FJ Holden's

Post by King Willy »

Didn't the Darwin Monaro have a VG Valiant grille and headlight swap?
Carps
Old Hand

Post by Carps »

customfc wrote:The Wither's EK was at the All Holden Day this year.
Yup and still looks as good as ever it did.

Here it is around 40 years ago.

Every year at the VHRA show, the Stewards would call it as Exhibition Class, Daryl woiuld get out the rule book and go through the points and it would end up in Custom class.
As the rules changed, to try and keep cars like this out of Cuystom class, Daryly would make changes to add the extra points.
When they finally screwed him with the rule book the car was withdrawn from the show and pretty much never seen again in public until a few weeks ago.

The car always took gold not just because of it's incredible detailing, but because of Daryl's prepration. Since the car was driven regularly it required enourmous effort to ensure when on show it looked like it had never been driven.
I used to think some of Ted Bullpiut's lines came from Daryl's efforts, for example he whould remove the wheels and detail the tyres with a toothbrush, to ensure the judges could not deduct a single point for dirt or whatever.

In later years he built this panel van as his daily driver, but it too took a good share of the show gold.

King Willy wrote:Didn't the Darwin Monaro have a VG Valiant grille and headlight swap?
Neil Pomeroy's black and flamed Monaro had a Valiant Grille and rectangular headlamps, but I'm buggered if I can recvall what was in Norm's yellow thing.

It was a pretty radically modified car considering it was almost a brand new car, I may have some photos burried in the pile somewhere.
Young Carps

My people skills are just fine.
It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.
hewey
Old Hand

Post by hewey »

Pariahs C.C.
Outback

Post by Outback »

Thanks for the schooling for us Youngans, out of interest what were the 4spd box's that were run? When did the jag 4 spds start showing up?

This is so very cool!
Nothing is worth having, that isn't worth waiting for!
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Outback wrote:Thanks for the schooling for us Youngans, out of interest what were the 4spd box's that were run? When did the jag 4 spds start showing up?

This is so very cool!
If we are talking early to mid sixties.
Going back to the memory banks.

The 4 speeds adapted for early Holdens back in the 60,s were pretty much British vehicle sourced considering that there was plenty around and they were mainly 4 speed vehicles . I had an FC needed as a short term runabout that I picked up for $39 as traded with 4 speed a box of unknown origin although someone said Austin. I did hear of Jag boxes being used though.
One thing overlooked was that run of the mill British vehicles we had here aside to Jags were underpowered and had low gearing and in many cases 1st gear was next to useless when the boxes were adapted to early grey Holdens unless you got hold of later model banjo centers when they appeared with taller ratios with the intro of red motors
I had a Riley 1.5 litre box behind a Y block and take offs in 1st had you changing into second as soon as you moved because the box was designed for a heavy underpowered low reving slug. This was upgraded to a 2.5 litre box and still the cogs busted :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: .

Frank.
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
Twin Spinner

Post by Twin Spinner »

My Brother had an FB-EK? with a jag box that worked well but never could get the o/drive to work.
If it has tits or wheels, you can expect trouble.
Outback

Post by Outback »

FRANK BASILE wrote:
Outback wrote:Thanks for the schooling for us Youngans, out of interest what were the 4spd box's that were run? When did the jag 4 spds start showing up?

This is so very cool!
If we are talking early to mid sixties.
Going back to the memory banks.

The 4 speeds adapted for early Holdens back in the 60,s were pretty much British vehicle sourced considering that there was plenty around and they were mainly 4 speed vehicles . I had an FC needed as a short term runabout that I picked up for $39 as traded with 4 speed a box of unknown origin although someone said Austin. I did hear of Jag boxes being used though.
One thing overlooked was that run of the mill British vehicles we had here aside to Jags were underpowered and had low gearing and in many cases 1st gear was next to useless when the boxes were adapted to early grey Holdens unless you got hold of later model banjo centers when they appeared with taller ratios with the intro of red motors
I had a Riley 1.5 litre box behind a Y block and take offs in 1st had you changing into second as soon as you moved because the box was designed for a heavy underpowered low reving slug. This was upgraded to a 2.5 litre box and still the cogs busted :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: .

Frank.
Thanks Frank,

been thinking about an early 4 cog box behind a grey, will keep an eye out for parts, a very long term project after the one I'm working on (long term that is :roll: :lol: :lol: )

Glenn
k7oaks

Post by k7oaks »

In the late 1950's a common conversion was done using a MG gearbox. There weren't too many on the road , but were found mostly in motor racing.
I think that there was an adapter specially made to suit that was bought over the counter.
Ken 7
Oldcol
Old Hand

Post by Oldcol »

Yep...we had an FJ in the late 60's that was an ex-circuit racer and it had an MG TC box in it, worked well except that it had a tendency for the gearstick to come out in your hand if you got too excited with hard shifts....but that was probably something faulty I'd guess.
-------------
Col....

"Works" comes before "looks good", cos "looks good" changes, and "works" works!
hotrodaccountant1929

Post by hotrodaccountant1929 »

Thanks Frank,

been thinking about an early 4 cog box behind a grey, will keep an eye out for parts, a very long term project after the one I'm working on
(long term that is :roll: :lol: :lol: )

Glenn
way back in the '70's; the Opel gearbox ( from HR & HK 4 speeds ) was a good choice behind red motors; but have seen them behind grey motors, too...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MONARO-GTS-T ... 27e0923496
pvcerod
Old Hand

Post by pvcerod »

Celica Boxes were good too :wink:
Happy Cruzin
Steve

I will never go bungee jumping. A rubber breaking may very well be the reason I was born,
it sure as hell isn’t going to be the reason that I die.
Outback

Post by Outback »

All sounds interesting, what I have in mind is build using pre '60 -'63 parts, so therefore the interest in the early way....

I had a steel case celica 5spd in my XW which worked flawlessly behind the 221 2v. (except one very early morning with the music blaring I managed to 'slip' it into reverse, engine running, no clutch :shock: :shock: :shock: :mrgreen: :oops: :oops: :roll: :lol: )

Glenn