Old T Shirts

Posts relating to early (Pre 1985) Hotrodding History in Australia, including Hotrod and Custom Shows plus early Drag Racing, Speedway, Hillclimbs etc.
Carps
Old Hand

Old T Shirts

Post by Carps »

We've all got a bazillion rod run or event T shirts and today I was doing a spot of garment rationalisation, finding a few that may be of interest.

Dunno how, but I have a few of these and none are my size, then or now.

Some of us here were at one time members of one or more of the next three long defunct clubs.

After the club above split, this club was formed, it was somewhat short lived, for many reasons.

Then a few of the gang who were still interested, but disillusioned with the existing club scene, created this one……

The Rodder's Round Table was the very first Hot Rod based on line bulletin board/forum.
It's still going and a great place to hang out with some great folks who live and breathe hot rods and also the starting point of many great and ongoing friendships.
Notice, you know who is part of the coat of arms, because she is the first born progeny of the RRT?

I'm sure I'll find others older, but this one has lasted forty years, which aint too shabby for a T shirt.

This one may be older, I can't remember if Pete Fidler did it before or after the one above, but it does reflect on how long some of us have been arguing that chassis less cars belong in our hobby.

And this one is just straight up cool, painted by the late Dennis 'The Great Reinero' back in 1981.
Dennis was a pioneer with the likes of Ed Roth and Co., of airbrushed T shirts and and could paint an image like this in less than five minutes, without any pre sketching etc. it just came straight off his airbrush.
Over the years Dennis built and owned a number of well known hot rods and customs, sadly he passed away just last month, aged 70 .

Young Carps

My people skills are just fine.
It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.
T1916

Re: Old T Shirts

Post by T1916 »

Hi Carps

Some good T shirts, I had T shirts going back to the mid 70's. Nationals, Valla, Dubbo, Cowra, etc. A couple of years back, unbeknown to me the wife decided to clean out my T shirt draws, as I had not worn most of these for years and the draws were full. (And most were SM instead of of L). And she put them in a bag and dropped them in a Vinnies bin. I did not notice they where gone for about a week. She thought she was doing a good thing as they were old and no longer being worn ?

Cheers GT.
Carps
Old Hand

Post by Carps »

Mrs Carps wouldn't dare throw anything out that had even the most remote link to anything hot rodding or automotive.
Young Carps

Greg N Smith

Post by Greg N Smith »

Carps wrote:Mrs Carps wouldn't dare throw anything out that had even the most remote link to anything hot rodding or automotive.
Mr Carps

That's good to hear ...

I understand you have a few links to HOT Rodding and things automotive ...

I'm not religious, but - God bless tolerant partners !!!

Happy New Year ...
Oldcol
Old Hand

Post by Oldcol »

....said to Carps today that he's about 2 weeks too late for my early shirt collection.....got turned into workshop rags after a slight overflow issue in the house :lol: :lol: ....so I suggested we expand the theme a bit, and he said OK ..... so here goes with a few rodrun badges and plaques from my pinup board of the same.....

... pretty self explanatory , the 1st Nats ever in this country ( top patch).....

....then the next two nats.....

....and then there's the banners we used to get as hotrod show entrants......

....black banner is from the first Vic show that I entered my '39 Deluxe in , must have been around 1971?.....maybe VonRon can confirm if he's up and watching........

....got a whole line of them around the roofline of the bungalow.....otherwise known as the spare parts storage area....might have to do some painting one day..... :lol:.....there's probably 15 or so from years gone,represents a lot of lost Xmas hols prepping or even finishing cars for the show ......don't do it so much anymore , and I do enjoy the time off :lol: :lol:
-------------
Col....

"Works" comes before "looks good", cos "looks good" changes, and "works" works!
Carps
Old Hand

Post by Carps »

Well, that saves me taking a few pictures, I'm sure there's plenty more out there.
Young Carps

Maffra
Old Hand

Post by Maffra »

That is brilliant Col . . . great history and thanks for posting :D

Regards :)
Maffra

. . . . Living and Learning . . . .

Member of Oz E Rodders Street Rod and Kustom Club
Maffra
Old Hand

Post by Maffra »

[quote="Oldcol]

[/quote]

. . . a Pre '48 Street Rod Register :shock: . . . fantastic :D 8) . . . does it still exist or has it disappeared into time :?: . . . such registers exist for all sorts of other vehicles . . . should also be an important aspect of Australian Hot Rod heritage . . .

Thanks for posting Col, and I am rather interested in its history please :D

Thanks and regards :)
Maffra

Oldcol
Old Hand

Post by Oldcol »

Hi Dennis , explaining the origins and history of the Pre'48 register is probably something best left for the next time we're face to face as there's a fair bit to it ,but essentially (and in short).....it was formed mid 80's as a pressure group within the ASRF at a time when the ARSF establishment was making quite a few of it's members unhappy ( I won't go into detail here ,suffice to say that some of the issues back then still exist today)......anyway, said pressure group thought they might manage to get a result at DC level where as individuals they got nowhere.....instead things got ugly and the group decamped the asrf and decided to operate as an alternative organisation to the ASRF but without the draconian controls the establishment was placing on their members. It worked well for a fair while and although the ASRF would never acknowledge it , they did wake up to themselves and show some consideration for their members. Unlike the big player, the Pre '48 was a democratic arrangement , anyone could stand for election on the committee....you didn't need to be one of the "chosen ones" to be admitted to the ivory tower (DC's and NCC ) :lol: .....which ultimately tripped up the Pre'48 , when a dud bloke put himself in the Prez's chair....then did sweet F-all.......and after a while it all just ground to a halt, which was a great pity as there were a lot of folks who put in much effort in the face of stiff opposition from the "other side" :) to prove that we could get things done in a low key friendly way....even had a few decent events of our own that were highly successful...but, as I said,got messed up by one guy with no sense of responsibilty to others....same bloke is still around, still makes a lot of grumbly noises,still does F-all.... :roll: :roll:...still can't be bothered with him.....ciao.....
-------------
Col....

T1916

Post by T1916 »

Hi Oldcol

Still Got a sticker on the front screen of my T from the early 80's." NSW pre 48 State".

Cheers GT.
Oldcol
Old Hand

Post by Oldcol »

....cool.... 8) :)
-------------
Col....

Maffra
Old Hand

Post by Maffra »

Thanks Col :D . . . very interesting history and I look forward to catching up soon and learning more about it :D
Much appreciated :D
Maffra

Carps
Old Hand

Post by Carps »

Oldcol wrote:Hi Dennis , explaining the origins and history of the Pre'48 register is probably something best left for the next time we're face to face as there's a fair bit to it ,
Ahhh, the memories……

In addition to the car club plaque, I have a bunch of the original window stickers too and all of the Newsletter files (Yup, we had a national newsletter when the big guys didn't see any need for one and guess who was editor?) and the originals etc of the magazine articles from the local runs and events that were undertaken.

And for those who wondered about the 'Claytons Club T shirt…………

Damn! It's a bit dusty up there where the eye doesn't normally see.
Young Carps

Andyd

Post by Andyd »

Hey, Col.........I didn't know you had to be a Chosen One to get on the ASRF DC's etc.....lol..........I distinctly remember being being asked nicely if I wanted to be NSW DC Secretary when no one put there hand up from all the experienced rodders.........lol........maybe they knew something.......lol.........did it for about 4-5yrs, had a time on the Nationals Committee also and did the NSW and National ASRF National Newsletters for a 5-6 yrs........enjoyed the lot and as I still say..you get out of something what you put in to it.............the Pre 48 guys would surely agree with me on that........andyd.
Maffra
Old Hand

Post by Maffra »

Carps wrote:
Oldcol wrote:Hi Dennis , explaining the origins and history of the Pre'48 register is probably something best left for the next time we're face to face as there's a fair bit to it ,
Ahhh, the memories……

In addition to the car club plaque, I have a bunch of the original window stickers too and all of the Newsletter files (Yup, we had a national newsletter when the big guys didn't see any need for one and guess who was editor?) and the originals etc of the magazine articles from the local runs and events that were undertaken.

Thanks Carps :D . . . so it was quite substantial :) . . . I am quite looking forward to having a chat about it all soon and hearing more :D . . . interesting history 8)

Thanks and regards :)
Maffra