1943 Jeep "Budget Beater"

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
ShedBoy

1943 Jeep "Budget Beater"

Post by ShedBoy »

I like most car people collect, gather, give a good home stuff of a car nature. As my roadster is temporarily up in the air I have started looking through my precious junk to see what I have and what can I build for cheap. This thread is going to be a from the start process for building a pre 1949 car on a budget. I am not going to aim for a figure but as cheap as possible and still be reliable and safe and legal. I will also update the cost at the end of each post. So here was my idea I have pitched to the TAC.

1943 Willys Jeep cj2a converted to 2 wheel drive with parrallel leaf springs all round and beam axle on the front 86 inch wheel base, exposed engine. Several emails later the idea has been approved in theory and a plan needs to be submitted. So to make a plan I need to take stock of what I had and start measuring. Also find out as much info on the original car.

I have these parts so far and the prices they have been;
1943 Jeep body with original cowl and newly fabricated rest of it to factory dimension -Free
1947 Jeep radiator and grill panel - Free
1943 Jeep windscreen frame - Free
1973 Ford 250 Precross flow engine complete for a bottle of American Honey Wild Turkey - $43
XP Falcon 4 speed single rail gearbox - $160
1976 Toyota stout beam axle with front discs from a Landcruiser adapted to the hubs. Frame cut off at firewall with everything attached - Free
1985 Ford Courier 2wd diff and leaf spring - Free
Upright handbrake lever I bought of ebay because it looked cool - $37
Toyota HZJ75 4 spot front brake calipers - Free
1985 Ford Courier steering colum - Free
VS commodore booster and master cylinder

I have started measuring and will post a plan I am going to submit tonight.

Cost $240

Brock
Don't Follow Me I'm Lost Too
Gojeep
Old Hand

Re: 1943 Jeep "Budget Beater"

Post by Gojeep »

Straight 6 might be a bit long unless you are moving the grille forward to fit it in?
Are you thinking along these lines?

Marcus

To try where there is little hope, is to risk failure.
Not to try at all, is to guarantee it!

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
ShedBoy

Post by ShedBoy »

Along them lines but to fit withing the guidelines. I am planning on a small increase in wheelbase and have taken some pics of some parts I am planning on using.
The Toyota stout front end, very robust and some good looking bits which look period correct. I am going to reuse definitely the front spring hanger and maybe the rear ones. The shock mount will also be incorporated.
I left one side of the frame rail for getting measurement to design the new frame. I did consider using the front of the Toyota frame but was advised against it for more ease, fine with me.
Steering box mount. I just love the look of this thing and the shaft is 3/4 DD so it is easy to hookup to.
Landcrusier discs adapted already just need to get a caliper on there. The discs mount using Landcruiser studs which come through the disc then get pressed into the hub, this is the same way Toyota mount them on a Landcruiser.
Even the bump stop looks good in my eyes and everything will clean up well with a blast.
After some more delving into these beams it seem Toyota took alot of inspiration from early Ford. King Pin Inclination is 7°, the boss is only a poofteenth bigger and the king pin is 10thou larger. Adapting early Ford spindles should not be too hard just going by the numbers. But that is getting a bit pricey.
The courier diff I will be using, it was either this or a commodore but the courier has the same stud pattern as the Toyota. After lots of measuring engines, bodies, gearbox, diff and front end it was time to get some paperwork in order.
My tech drawing coffee table. I really could benefit from some CAD training.
It is a bit hard to see but there is a chassis there. Time to email it to see if it is going to fit in the guideline. If so I will fill in the permit to build with all the required bits, throw it against the wall and see what sticks. Back to work tomorrow for another 8 days :( :( :(

Until next week
Brock

Cost $240
ShedBoy

Post by ShedBoy »

Oh and getting rivets out really sucks!

Brock

Cost $240
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

Hope it all goes well for you.
Marcus

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
ShedBoy

Post by ShedBoy »

Just a bit of an update on this build. The Roadster is getting closer to finish so parts collecting is on again and I did not have to go far. My XH Falcon work ute developed a BCM fault so it was de registered and I have started wrecking it. I spent some money on mechanicals so have decided to keep the front suspension, engine, gearbox, diff and some other parts for the jeep. Give it some good brakes and suspension in the front. So the Toyota Stout front end now no longer has a home along with the ford pre xlfow and singl rail box and other bits. Someone will want them.

Brock

Cost $240 but should be able to sell some bits.
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

Glad to see you are back on this again.

Just a small point but can't be a 1943 CJ2a as they were not made until July 17 1945. All CJ's are post WWII.
Does it have a tailgate at all? That would make it a CJ2a but a later year. No tailgates on the WWII Willys and they were called MB's or G503. Could be made by Ford too and called a GPW!
Marcus

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
ShedBoy

Post by ShedBoy »

The bloke I got it off says it is a 43 cowl section (the top bit only) and the rest is fabricated to orignal dimension. It does have a tail gate in it though. Once the roadster is going together after paint it will be in the garage and I will move all the Jeep stuff into the fabrication zone out in the shed. I will post some pics of the Jeep parts mocked up. I have looked into Jeeps and who built them a little but during the war years they come from everywhere. I am sure I can find a model which will suit my requirements. DJ series would have been good but I think they made them in the 50's. A mate of mine is pestering me to put the 354 hemi I have in it. But that would push the budget out too far.

Brock
nassi

Post by nassi »

ShedBoy wrote:. A mate of mine is pestering me to put the 354 hemi I have in it. But that would push the budget out too far.

Brock
Not if he gave it to you. :D
37chev

Post by 37chev »

there is a red '45 Willys jeep hot rod in Perth, dropped I-beam front with 4 bar rear etc, he lengthened it , from memory in the doors?
has a 350 etc all legal and passed by TAC

he lives in Rockingham from memory
www.armadaleautoparts.com
Dave
Old Hand

Post by Dave »

I like the ideas amd will be following along with interest! There seems to be a bit of a resurgence in early Jeep interest lately! There was one being built up down at McDonald Brothers a while back too.
Dave Petrusma
ShedBoy

Post by ShedBoy »

I have seen it around and have chatted with some in the know about it. The wheelbase is stretched 4 inches from the Jeep 80inch, they are short!
Mine will be a strictly budget build and easiest possible registration. The change to the falcon front suspension was purely a cost thing. Cheaper parts easier to find, no brake adaption better, already have rims and tyres. Dam I hve to finish this roadster, I am itching to do this jeep. The Falcon will be stripoped this break.

Brock
garya54

Post by garya54 »

Hi,
I like your concept. I was thinking of building something simular myself.
Cheap is good !
Could you tell me how wide the chassis rails need to be where the spring hangers bolt.
Cheers, Gary
ShedBoy

Post by ShedBoy »

garya54 wrote:Hi,
I like your concept. I was thinking of building something simular myself.
Cheap is good !
Could you tell me how wide the chassis rails need to be where the spring hangers bolt.
Cheers, Gary
29.25 inches and 80 inch wheelbase. It is going to be like a game of tetris to fit it all in. I love a challenge.

Brock
ShedBoy

Post by ShedBoy »

I have sold some bits
Single rail gearbox $100
Ford engine $50

I will be moving parts into the shed this week.
I did have to buy a large part
Emu Programmable EFI computer $1080

Cost $1270

So it begins

Brock