What Model Jaguar for parts?

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
dodgy38

What Model Jaguar for parts?

Post by dodgy38 »

Hi all I own a 1938 Dodge sedan and have been wanting to collect some more parts for the build which just cant seem to get off the ground, I want to install a jag front end as well as maybe a rear end as I believe they have a cradle which sounds easier than installing the 9" I have in the shed I am not sure what year and model I should be looking for IE; 1970s 1980s XJ6 XJ8? any advice would be great as I'm at a bit of a loss.

Regards John.
Mudgy
Old Hand

Re: What Model Jaguar for parts?

Post by Mudgy »

Hi John,
I'm doing a '37. But our chassis are a little different.

I used an '83 model series 3 Jag Sovereign for the front & rear, The fellas here tell me series 1, 2 & 3 Jags are all good stuff to use... but it depends on how this stuff will fit in your 38 chassis. I suppose where there's a will, there's a way. My rear rails had to pinch in a little, to let the alloy hubs at the rear to move upwards.

Not much progress lately, but here's what I've done so far. http://www.ozrodders.com/forum/viewtopi ... =2&t=47478

Cheers Mudgy.
Good Judgement comes from experience....experience comes from bad judgement.
dodgy38

Post by dodgy38 »

Hi Mudgy,
Yes I've been following your build for a while now and its really starting to get me revved up again, I've pretty much finished my other car so now I'm feeling the itch to get into the Dodge and when you pointed out the Chassis difference I remember replying and saying that I think mine is a 37 or 39 from memory
I'm not really familiar with these jag models hence the question I was asking as I have been told of a 1972 XJ6 that is for sale but I'm not keen on buying the wrong model.

Cheers John.
LIFESTYLZ

Post by LIFESTYLZ »

Get a series 2 or 3. '73 to mid 80's
They have vented front discs and 4 pot calipers.
Easy to spot
CabCoupe

Post by CabCoupe »

Just don't pay too much. Usually can pick them up around the 4-5 hundy mark. As lifestyles said series 2 or 3 are the better model.

Was lucky with mine paid 450 and turned out had all new ball joints and a new callipers and hoses not long ago.

Mick.
Mopar Mick
Old Hand

Post by Mopar Mick »

If I was you and already had a 9" I would run with that. :wink:

Maybe get your original rear leaf springs de-arched of re-tensioned (what ever is required) at a professional spring place.

Your ride, your call. :mrgreen:

Mick.
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.
Dave
Old Hand

Post by Dave »

Re the Jaguar you can use either Jaguar or the Daimler. Series 2 or 3 XJ6 or XJ12 are best. You can use a series 1 but the brakes are not quite as good. You can also use a Jaguar XJS Coupe as a donor (cheap enough if the engine is blown). After the Series 3 Jags went to the XJ40 which is not recommended. With the 38 Dodge chassis you may find that the rear end is not so easy to fit as the rails at the rear are about where the upper shock mounts are on the Jag. Best to do some measurements first.
Dave Petrusma
dodgy38

Post by dodgy38 »

Thanks Guys ,I just spoke to a fellow that said I should stick with an L300 front end or if I can still use my Torana to use it if I have it already as the jags ant cheap on parts,I should just measure up everything first ?
jeffa
Old Hand

Post by jeffa »

Penrith ay.
Should be able to find some Jag rear and front ends for sale nearby/swap meets etc.
Prepare yourself by taking measurements of your chassis, then go have a look at some for sale suspensions.
Take measurements to see what will fit. Dont have to buy them then and there, they do come up for sale often.
Yeah. I've changed my signature. The old one was out of date...
What if climate change IS a hoax, and we make a better world for nothing?
Shabby T
Old Hand

Post by Shabby T »

A mate of mine tried twice to fit a Jag front to a 1939 dodge, first his sedan, no on the road ten years or so. Second attempt with more knowledge was into his 39 ute. He found that the shape of the front of the chassis rails didn't easily allow fitting of a Jag fe, he went with L300 in both cases.

As I said the sedan has now done plenty of km's, and he is happy.
Cheers,
Terry

That's going straight to the pool room!
[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/tan60/images.jpg[/img]
dodgy38

Post by dodgy38 »

Yes I know the chassis is a little odd with a step up instead of just flat but I'm sure Mudgy has the same frame and he has done it hence the reason I thought it was the way to go, I was told mine was a 38 but I seem to have a 39 chassis ?
LIFESTYLZ

Post by LIFESTYLZ »

dodgy38 wrote: the jags ant cheap on parts
A rumour put about by L300 fans.
Seriously though, there is no comparison in build quality and braking power.
Are you building for cheap or safe?
dodgy38

Post by dodgy38 »

I poured a lot of money into our 66 Mustang and I'm tired of looking at this 38 under a car cover and would like to kick it off so in short yes I'm on a tightish budget hence thinking of a semi rat rod them as I've just finished a full restoration of the GT and don't want to be that fussy ,I want it to be safe and I know a mate that has an L300 under his rod and I certainly would not call it unsafe ?
LIFESTYLZ

Post by LIFESTYLZ »

What sort of Rod is it?
Just that I'm not that keen on L300 front ends in bigger cars.
Prefer the Jag set up every time.
dodgy38

Post by dodgy38 »

it is a 1938 dodge sedan, not a very desirable model compared to the Fords and Chevs of the same era but still would make a cool rod that's different to the norm :)