What Model Jaguar for parts?

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
Dave
Old Hand

Re: What Model Jaguar for parts?

Post by Dave »

If your Dodge is indeed a 1938 it is a very simple job to fit a Jag F/E and basically the same as the 37 as the chassis are very similar. '39 chassis are a whole other issue as they have a factory independent front end and it is a very big job (but not impossible and been done a few times!) to fit any other independent front end into one of those.
Dave Petrusma
dodgy38

Post by dodgy38 »

Hi Dave,
I was told when I bought the car 15 years ago that it was a 38 and even had a fellow that restored them tell me it was also but according to the drawings that Mudgy posted I would think the chassis is a 37 which has the kick in the front end as per the bottom pic, at the end of the day it is what it is and I will have to graft something on :)

Cheers John.
Dave
Old Hand

Post by Dave »

The frame diagrams on the previous page show a '39 frame at the top. The bottom shows a '37 frame. The '38 frame is very similar to the '37 frame but with outriggers from the front of the x-member to the inside of the frame and a different rear engine/gearbox mount crossmember. I have a diagram of a '38 here. I just checked through Mudgy's thread and found the problem. For some strange reason it would appear that Mudgy's book has the '38 and '39 diagrams around the wrong way! '37 and '38 shared the body, with just some frontal changes and some minor running changes. '39 is a whole new body with a whole new chassis that was unique for that one year only. If you look at Mudgy's diagram of a '39 Chassis that is what you should have and it is definitely a '38! Must have been a misprint in that edition of the book!
Dave Petrusma
dodgy38

Post by dodgy38 »

just saw that on Mudgys, thanks mate that explains the confusion :D
Mudgy
Old Hand

Post by Mudgy »

Sorry about that fellas, I never knew. Glad to know 38 & 37 chassis are very similar. I did wonder about the shape over the years, "why would they change into 38, and go back to an older type in 39? Didn't make sense, but a misprint does.

Good luck with the 38 Dodge!
Good Judgement comes from experience....experience comes from bad judgement.
Dave
Old Hand

Post by Dave »

Now that we have cleared that up the manner in which Mudgy has mounted the Jag front end into his car is the same manner that you should put one into your '37. The really good thing about the kickup is that you can get the car relatively low but still retain full suspension travel. Obviously you will need to have your own engineer approve whatever method you do use, but any front end will require the kickup to be filled in to some extent. The Jag is still the pick of the front ends!
Dave Petrusma
dodgy38

Post by dodgy38 »

Spot on guys, I feel very lucky that Mudgy is the kind of guy that does everything to a T and then documents it all on here LOL! I will eventually have to install a front end otherwise I wont be able to move the old girl around much, its like the other car once the fire is lit there will be some serious midnight oil burning :wink:
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

The Jag is the best choice for my 2 bob,s worth. Surprisingly not that expensive for the bits. They are robust and already have a power rack. Only fab is some upper shocker mounts.Everything is factory. No adapting of other bits or messing with castor struts required. HQ/CHEV bolt pattern
Decision is to whether solid or stock rubber mount the unit. The latter being preferrable .As mentioned S11 or S111 best.
Fyi for clearance or shaft length consideration if any issues pop up with the steering. They have two different length rack pinions. S1/early S11 is long.
Later S11 and S111 are short.

Frank.
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
Mudgy
Old Hand

Post by Mudgy »

G'day John,

Any photos of what you're up to mate?

I for one am keen to see a similar beastie
Good Judgement comes from experience....experience comes from bad judgement.
timmo22

Post by timmo22 »

jaguar small pic.jpg
I have a Daimler / Jag front but Im told I cant use the disks as they arent vented . Heres a pic of donor car was told 76 ( is that about right? ) so can I get disks that will go with the old calipers or do i have to toss everything out and SPEND SPEND SPEND .?Image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

Pretty sure you need both disc and calliper to match.

The existing callipers wont have enough clearance for the rotor and pads.

I could be cheaper to buy a later model front end and flog your one off.

I'd start googling about Jag brakes.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
turns
Old Hand

Post by turns »

timmo22 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:10 am jaguar small pic.jpgI have a Daimler / Jag front but Im told I cant use the disks as they arent vented . Heres a pic of donor car was told 76 ( is that about right? ) so can I get disks that will go with the old calipers or do i have to toss everything out and SPEND SPEND SPEND .?Image
Who 'told' you that solid discs are inadequate?
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly"...............Morticia Addams
pilot Dave
Old Hand

Post by pilot Dave »

zuffen wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:49 am Pretty sure you need both disc and calliper to match.

The existing callipers wont have enough clearance for the rotor and pads.

I could be cheaper to buy a later model front end and flog your one off.

I'd start googling about Jag brakes.
what i did on one of my old race cars (the hr) i split the caliper and made a spacer so i could run vented discs worked excellent back in the day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1-DNj8eSf0
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

Dave,

Would an Engineer approve the mod?

I know Range Rovers with their 4 piston callipers specifically specify they are not to be dismantled.

The wider vented rotor would have to centralised otherwise the pistons wouldn't be balanced and it could impart some interesting forces on the suspension.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
46 deluxe
Old Hand

Post by 46 deluxe »

turns wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:10 am
timmo22 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:10 am jaguar small pic.jpgI have a Daimler / Jag front but Im told I cant use the disks as they arent vented . Heres a pic of donor car was told 76 ( is that about right? ) so can I get disks that will go with the old calipers or do i have to toss everything out and SPEND SPEND SPEND .?Image
Who 'told' you that solid discs are inadequate?
I'm with Turns , who said you can't use the solid discs ????
Nothing wrong with them as they will pull a big ,solid , heavy old jag up with no problem .
scott