rack to suit hk front end

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
monte
Old Hand

rack to suit hk front end

Post by monte »

Has anybody discovered a rack that will fit a hk front end without the shortening process ,power or manual is good :?: :?:
35coupe

Re: rack to suit hk front end

Post by 35coupe »

Hey Monte.

I'm about a week or two away from having to solve this exact situation myself. There's a lot of conflicting information on the web.... And I'd be buffered if I can remember the right advice /setups ice been exposed to on this topic.

So yes, what Monte said :). And Is there an alternative to Commodore racks?
davidb

Post by davidb »

have a look at a unisteer rack Dave
Hqtunna

Post by Hqtunna »

My daily is a HK Prem wagon, running an injected 5l t700 and VN rack and pinion. It drives really well and is a standard length. Been driving it for 2 years now with this setup. I dont get any bump steer. Turning circle isnt awesome but not too bad with hq steering arms. Apparently lh torana steering arms are better again.

35coupe

Post by 35coupe »

Hqtunna wrote:My daily is a HK Prem wagon [URL="http://s924.photobucket.com/user/Hqtunn ... 4.jpg.html"][URL]

Damn, that's a neat wagon. 8) 8)
With the VN rack, do you remember how much travel is in the rack, lock to lock?
Oldcol
Old Hand

Post by Oldcol »

...don't use front steer arms like HQ or Torana in a rear steer application, total stuff up of the Ackerman principle...which is toe out on turns. Look it up,it's important stuff and any engineer worth the money you pay won't pass it.
-------------
Col....

"Works" comes before "looks good", cos "looks good" changes, and "works" works!
Fitter

Post by Fitter »

Been trying to get a Camry sv21 power rack to fit behind an hk cross member. It is narrower than commodore racks but still not perfect. Still looks to have some bump steer and not sure about rack suitability from engineers perspective. Now thinking about narrowing a manual steer commodore rack and electric power steering column set up. I see what Col means about HQ arms guess they would have to be bent or made to suit???
jailbar joe
Old Hand

Post by jailbar joe »

some time ago in the distant past I was told by a guy that he used a Mitsubishi magna rack on a hk front end and that it needed no modifications and had no bump steer......
I have never tried it to prove it right or wrong.
cheers joe

if you do nothing then nothing happens
blacky

Post by blacky »

Bumping an old thread , did anyone find a satisfactory solution to this problem????
Member of Cranksters Rod and Kustom Club.
I dont care what the question is , the answer is more power !
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

I've used centre steer Camira racks before and worked well
Regards Bob
Chrisso
Old Hand

Post by Chrisso »

I got onre from V6 conversions in Moree the mounting kit and a non powered rack and pinion to suit and it wasn't expensive. :wink:
blacky

Post by blacky »

I currently have a Commode manual rack in my '46 Chev on a HG front end and would like to go power steer , the current rack has been narrowed to suit and from what I know a power rack can't be ? I see an earlier post by the bloke with the wagon has a stock power rack out of a Commodore but this has to be too wide for proper steering geometry.
The Japanese racks mentioned also seem too wide and Camira ones too hard to find/old ???
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

Try looking at a Daewoo Lanos. https://www.google.com/search?q=daewoo+ ... 7BjTVSZiEM

Centre steer like a Camira.

I have a power one in my son's MightyBoy.

I know it has bump steer but once it's all sorted I intend to change the centre steer by adding a solid bar across the car of the apppropriate length and use the correct Nissan steering arms to give me the correct (or better) geometry.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

blacky wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:50 pm I currently have a Commode manual rack in my '46 Chev on a HG front end and would like to go power steer , the current rack has been narrowed to suit and from what I know a power rack can't be ? I see an earlier post by the bloke with the wagon has a stock power rack out of a Commodore but this has to be too wide for proper steering geometry.
The Japanese racks mentioned also seem too wide and Camira ones too hard to find/old ???
Holden Astra has very similar to Camira. I'm sure there are other centre steer racks around. A trip to your local upullit will find you something
Regards Bob
blacky

Post by blacky »

Sudsy wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:46 pm
blacky wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:50 pm I currently have a Commode manual rack in my '46 Chev on a HG front end and would like to go power steer , the current rack has been narrowed to suit and from what I know a power rack can't be ? I see an earlier post by the bloke with the wagon has a stock power rack out of a Commodore but this has to be too wide for proper steering geometry.
Holden Astra has very similar to Camira. I'm sure there are other centre steer racks around. A trip to your local upullit will find you something
Yeah I wish we had those in Perth , going to Adelaide in June and plan on visiting a couple with a tape measure while we are there 👍 I have a TE Cortina power rack at home , will offer that up and see how it looks as well.