Father Son project

Go here for general posts relating to Hotrods and Customs, Pre 71 only!
rattyrod

Re: Father Son project

Post by rattyrod »

Thanks chrisso , I am put on camera duties for the gearbox strip down and rebuild . Adam is a diesel mechanic and is taking Jet through the steps of dismantle and put back together,which is great , might even let them loose on the engine at a later date but if I left them alone it would probably end up with some sort of turbo setup
when are you going to finish it?
Zombiefink

Post by Zombiefink »

Late to the party but damn those vals are cool.

I used to drive past one in a hillbilly yard up a rural backstreet a while back all the time, When i actually decided i wanted it, rolled up there with cash in hand and the element of surprise ready to go... It was gone!

Cool build anyway and its coming along nicely..

Cheers
Jackson
Swimming alone at Sea is not the kinda freedom that you actually want
Carps
Old Hand

Post by Carps »

Lookin' good kids, keep up the fine work and also keep the photers coming.
Young Carps

My people skills are just fine.
It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.
rattyrod

Post by rattyrod »

Changed job sites and due to the amount of time I spend travelling to and from work at the moment and then getting home to a hungry teenager and doing all those other jobs in the house it doesn't leave much car time.We did score another gearbox which looks good in the gear department so will be stripping it down for a rebuild in the next couple of weeks so will have more photos soon .
Chrisso
Old Hand

Post by Chrisso »

rattyrod wrote:Changed job sites and due to the amount of time I spend travelling to and from work at the moment and then getting home to a hungry teenager and doing all those other jobs in the house it doesn't leave much car time. We did score another gearbox which looks good in the gear department so will be stripping it down for a rebuild in the next couple of weeks so will have more photos soon .
Ratty that sounds like a win for you, the car gods must be smiling on you, great result with the greabox as well. :D :D 8) 8)
MickD

Post by MickD »

Love old Mopars.... And the '37 Chev in the background :)
rattyrod

Post by rattyrod »

A few happy snaps from last nights gear box assembly .We had a few minor issues especially when we noticed we had one left over needle roller from our new old stock rebuild kit ,so out came the lay shaft again to recount them and all was well , they just packed an extra one to confuse us. We also assembled the bell housing clutch mechanism
Imagemany thanks to our mate Adam for the help and sharing his knowledge
Imagethe old internals with more than a few scars
Imageever had the thought of ,hope this thing goes back together
Imagehad to replace this one
Imageand this
Imageall sorted and ready to go
Imageselectors in
Imageand there we have it all complete in 5 easy steps :D
stuartcranky

Post by stuartcranky »

now yo have started dont stop even if you do an hour a day it one hour a day closer to finishing it
Chrisso
Old Hand

Post by Chrisso »

Great progress Ratty and Jet like the look boys, more fun ahead I reckon. Great progress and a very cool car. :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
rattyrod

Post by rattyrod »

A little bit of progress over the last couple of weeks ,last week Jet had some time off and caught up with homework and parties whilst I stripped down the alternator and gave it a polish ,bearings and brushes ,certainly looks a lot better than when it was removed. Last night Jet decided he would start pulling the engine apart with our mate Adam ( finally he is getting grease and oil on his hands),and removed most of the bolt ons and labelled and bag them
Imageas removed , nice and crusty
Imageall nice and shiny
Imagedirty hands at last :D
Imagethe source of my amusement
King Willy

Post by King Willy »

Great work going on here, congratulations Jet and Ratty. Jet will be so much more appreciative of this awesome classic when he finally gets behind the wheel as he has part of his sole invested into it. So much better than just being handed the key to a VT Commodore n spending Thursday night trying to destroy the diff with a car full of mates.
Well done to Adam for taking the time to help out and guide a young person thru real built vehicle components.
Jet is being set up for life with skills that will see him confident and able to take on many other jobs that spring up during his life, not just automotive, because he has people around him who are willing to invest their time in him.

Great thread.
Chrisso
Old Hand

Post by Chrisso »

I agree with King Willy boys nothing better than getting your hands dirty and having something cool to show for it. Alternator came up a treat Ratty. Does the engine run? and if it does are you just going to give it very close once over, a new suit and stick it back in?
Love this thread 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
rattyrod

Post by rattyrod »

Thanks guys , yes the engine did run but had sat idle for about 15 years . After a bit of lubrication down the plug holes and cleaning of the cooling system and bit of 2 stroke mixed in the petrol and some turning over by hand and presto started nearly straight away. Can't say it ran great but at least it ran .While it is out and the car is stripped we will inspect , measure and then decide what ,if any rebuilding it gets , last thing we want is to try and remove It from a finished car
Mudgy
Old Hand

Post by Mudgy »

Hi Ratty,
Have you considered making the alternator an internal regulator version? One less "box" to shove in the engine bay.
Cheers, Mudgy
Good Judgement comes from experience....experience comes from bad judgement.
rattyrod

Post by rattyrod »

Thanks for the tip Mudgy , might have to look into it ,the neater the better.