Father Son project

Go here for general posts relating to Hotrods and Customs, Pre 71 only!
robtus

Re: Father Son project

Post by robtus »

Nice project, glad to see the young fella getting involved too. Looks like a mint body considering the years.
I never make the same mistake twice, I do it 5 or 6 times just to be sure !!!

Making progress, https://www.muston.com/public_html/34%2 ... _Limo.html
spoggie

Post by spoggie »

Cool car. Are theses strippers caustic? A good dose of citric acid in ya water nuetralises alkakine caustic soda based stuff. Then water rinse.
rattyrod

Post by rattyrod »

Hi Spoggie, i would say they are because if it gets on your skin it burns till you wash it off. The body has been stripped for about 3-4 weeks now and true to the soda blasters advice the bare steel has not got any surface rust what so ever. The body was wiped off with a rag with a small amount of petrol on it and now has some old bed sheets over the top , should get blasted over Christmas
when are you going to finish it?
rattyrod

Post by rattyrod »

In between fixing my other cars we also managed to get a little bit of work done to the diff on the valiant.
Image all new self adjusting brakes
Image new brake lines and fittings
Chrisso
Old Hand

Post by Chrisso »

Pete that dare I say that is a thing of beauty, a great job mate the old girl is coming along, even if the other machines in your fleet are giving you a small amount of grief. :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
rattyrod

Post by rattyrod »

We took the S out for a bit of a spin in the warm weather the other day .I must say the fuel economy was excellent ,didn't use a drop of petrol or oil , also the air con and air ride suspension worked a treat :D
Image and off to the blasters we go
We also bought a $20 air dye grinder and carbide reamer and started work on some port cleaning and matching
Sly Fox

Post by Sly Fox »

You guys are making good progress, keep it up 8)
51 Dodge Custom & 63 EH Ute - Dare to be different
Mudgy
Old Hand

Post by Mudgy »

Great progress.... how much fun is it cleaning up those tiny little shitty splinters that come off the spinning burr???
A blasting session will make the shell real beaut mate.
Cheers, Mudgy
Good Judgement comes from experience....experience comes from bad judgement.
capri power

Post by capri power »

Nice project...

Greetings from Belgium, Christophe
Chrisso
Old Hand

Post by Chrisso »

Nice progress fellas, that port matching will give the slant 6 a little more HP. I know I am premature Ratty or so my wife says :lol: :lol: :lol: what colour are you going to paint the S?
rattyrod

Post by rattyrod »

Hi Chrisso .We already have one black car and vowed never to have another as they are too hard to keep clean and body work has to be pretty good . So black it is , but only because it used to be factory black (why couldn't it have been white ) .As for the porting , for $60 for the grinder and tip it might give me a few extra horses , if not then at least we have another tool in the collection . Will give the head the same treatment when the engine gets pulled apart. Thanks everyone for looking in and encouraging words .
King Willy

Post by King Willy »

I went to town on my factory 2BBL slant manifold like that, opened the ports, de-burred the outside, cut the heat riser pimples off and even drilled the webbing between the runners to try n lose some weight and gain economy. Sold it all before it was fitted so I have no idea how it went :shock:
robtus

Post by robtus »

King Willy wrote:I went to town on my factory 2BBL slant manifold like that, opened the ports, de-burred the outside, cut the heat riser pimples off and even drilled the webbing between the runners to try n lose some weight and gain economy. Sold it all before it was fitted so I have no idea how it went :shock:
I like the naked body !!!!
That porting makes for extra torque and fuel economy, especially if you can fit some upsized intake valves. Idles smoother too. When I was a lad I got the job of porting all the local petrol heads cars, that and a cam was all it took to make us THINK they went faster !!!!!
I never make the same mistake twice, I do it 5 or 6 times just to be sure !!!

Making progress, https://www.muston.com/public_html/34%2 ... _Limo.html
rattyrod

Post by rattyrod »

Car is back from the soda blaster , or should that be hole maker ,and is all sealed up and one color for now. It has created a bit more work especially in the boot floor area but nothing that we cannot over come. Jet and our mate Adam got busy on the gearbox dismantle and we found a few damaged teeth on the cluster gear at 1st and reverse and also on the main reverse gear . The search has commenced on some locally sourced gears and if that proves futile then we will buy some from USA. We also got our wheels back from truing up ,blasting and powder coating ,and gave the starter motor a going over
Chrisso
Old Hand

Post by Chrisso »

Great to see a Dad and his boy hard at it, you are a very lucky man Ratty and so is Jet. :wink: I know a few blokes up here that are into S and R series and Vals in general so I will see what I can come up with mate and PM you if I am successful? The starer looks brand new bud and the body is in good nick considering the age of the car mate, shouldn't take too much work to be a really top looking ride. Can't wait for more progress pics :D :D :D :D :D