Father Son project

Go here for general posts relating to Hotrods and Customs, Pre 71 only!
rattyrod

Father Son project

Post by rattyrod »

Jet and my first project car together arrived this morning courtesy of a bit of detective work by my father in law (sort of) Don and transport by Dale Bates . Though not a rod I still think these would have to be one of the best looking cars ever built ,in my opinion anyway . I have to finish off a couple of jobs on my chev ute and then its all systems go for a full resto , it might even end up shiney . Apart from mission brown applied by a little beaver sprayer over factory black and usual rust in rear quarters ,front floor , some in doors and dints and scrapes its quite straight and solid . I bought this off a one owner little old lady and had been stored for the last 15 years in her garage in Melbourne ,true story .
when are you going to finish it?
Mudgy
Old Hand

Re: Father Son project

Post by Mudgy »

Mission Brown...... ahh the 70's.
Funky door trims mate
Good Judgement comes from experience....experience comes from bad judgement.
hotrodsteve

Post by hotrodsteve »

Gotta be happy with that purchase. I'm sure Jet will turn it into something amazing that will be all his. With your help of course. Make sure you post build pics. I agree they were a very tasty shape. Happy building Regards Steve.
35coupe

Post by 35coupe »

Gents, this is brilliant. Look at those tyres, they look like they were bought in the 1970s too! Timewarp!
Mopar Mick
Old Hand

Post by Mopar Mick »

A beautiful "S series" Valiant with the "leaning tower of power". 8) 8) 8)

Dosen't get any better than that. :wink:

I once had a white S series Valiant, should not have got rid of it. :(

Plenty of spares for them still about. :wink:

Congratulations on your purchase, well done. :D

I shall be very interested in following the progress. :mrgreen:

What are your plans for it? :?

Mick.
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.
rx4ord
Old Hand

Post by rx4ord »

Great find.
Lucky Jet :lol:

Dave
Founding Member of OZ-E-Rodders
Fingers

Post by Fingers »

Great project there, looks good and solid.
Richard Seymour
Chrisso
Old Hand

Post by Chrisso »

Well Jet will get plenty of practice with the camera supplying build pics. :D :D :D
rattyrod

Post by rattyrod »

Hi Mick , plans are for a full resto including color change back to black and also getting rid of those lovely door trims. Fired up the engine for the first time in 15 years and it started pretty much first go . Prior to starting we flushed the radiator out of old coolant and took out the rusty thermostat and about 75 millimetres of what can only be described as oily clay, which I can only guess to be very old congealed coolant ,lucky it was held out of the head by the thermostat. It also got a new filter and oil.It ran smoothly but a little smokey at the breather and not much vacuum at the PCV valve. As a foot note , never let a nearly 14 year old hold the hose while attending to hose fitting in the engine bay ,lets just say if I could run as fast as I used to he wouldn't have been laughing as much as he did .
Chrisso
Old Hand

Post by Chrisso »

Ratty, Jet is just keeping you on your toes. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Nice find Ratty . Looks a good solid and complete vehicle . We see some strange twists and turns with vehicle tastes . In the late sixties and into the 70,s and 80,s those early Valiants if not all Valiants had very little following with stuff all re sale value . To day they are prized . All the best with the resto
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
Cranky31

Post by Cranky31 »

Good Stuff and the best thing about this thread is that between you two, we are bound to get lots of very cool build pic's.

Get it started.... 8)
"Living life, like i only have One"
HOT ROD FRED
Old Hand

Post by HOT ROD FRED »

Great find Ratty! I hope Jet realises how lucky he is? Looking forward to seeing this back in it's former state 8)
rattyrod

Post by rattyrod »

We made a start on the old S despite saying I would finish a few jobs on my ute first . First up was removing the bumpers , first the rear, which needed the tow bar ground off because someone had decided it would be extra strong and welded it to the back panel . Then the front , which also needed grinding due to a turning inner nut ,don't we love old cars .Next up was the interior strip out and window removal ,which was a lot easier and uncovered a few rusty areas especially front floors. The good thing is rust replacement panels are available for most of the rusty areas and the rest we can make. By far the strangest thing we have come across is the sills are filled with something like a hard filler that looks factory and in one of them was 2 dried out complete yabby shells .
Chrisso
Old Hand

Post by Chrisso »

Great stuff Ratty, Jet is getting stuck in ..................Cool 8) 8) 8) :D :D :D