Ford 9" v Jag

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
steve the ford guy

Re: Ford 9" v Jag

Post by steve the ford guy »

I'm building two hot rod cars, been collecting parts for many years, moved up here a year ago, couldn't do it for a lack of space in Sydney, had to have a big shed built here, still needs wiring and lighting, just found a year date correct Chevy engine for one car a few weeks ago, can't do any chassis work until the wirings done, even when the jigs done still need to get brackets made to bolt to the top so the chassis can be held for welding without moving, had lots of parts problems, wrong parts sent, then waiting for the right parts, really slows things down, waste a whole lot of effort doing things twice with these projects, can't wait to start on the chassis, jig table is identical (1500 wide instead of 5 foot) to this except its a foot longer (13 foot) :D
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thre ... us.577892/
Last edited by steve the ford guy on Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Rayner

Post by David Rayner »

Hmmm, A Kugel IRS starts at US$8,500. I'll bet it's the ant's pants but that's a little pricey. Roughly what would a Jag cost buy the time it was bought, rebuilt, and chromed?
35coupe

Post by 35coupe »

steve the ford guy wrote:I'm building two cars, been collecting parts for many years, moved up here a year ago, had to have a big shed built, still needs wiring and lighting, just found a year date correct Chevy engine for one car a few weeks ago, can't do any chassis work until the wirings done, even when the jigs done still need to get brackets made to bolt to the top so the chassis can be held for welding without moving, had lots of parts problems, wrong parts sent, then waiting for the right parts, really slows things down, waste a whole lot of effort doing things twice with these projects, can't wait to start on the chassis :D

Pictures please !
35coupe

Post by 35coupe »

David Rayner wrote:Hmmm, A Kugel IRS starts at US$8,500. I'll bet it's the ant's pants but that's a little pricey. Roughly what would a Jag cost buy the time it was bought, rebuilt, and chromed?

I did read from a carps post that the kugel IFS is based on the early jag stuff. Possibly the same for IRS.

Back to your question, I don't know how long a piece of string is :) :). But I do know that the jag unit would be nowhere near 8500USD.
35coupe

Post by 35coupe »

More importantly. What theme of bucket are you building? Can you share pictures of buckets and that share the look you are after?
35coupe

Post by 35coupe »

I'll start with my favourite style....

steve the ford guy

Post by steve the ford guy »

David Rayner wrote:Hmmm, A Kugel IRS starts at US$8,500. I'll bet it's the ant's pants but that's a little pricey. Roughly what would a Jag cost buy the time it was bought, rebuilt, and chromed?
Do you have any parts yet? Engine, bucket body etc? or is this still in the "thought bubble" stage
turns
Old Hand

Post by turns »

David Rayner wrote: Roughly what would a Jag cost buy the time it was bought, rebuilt, and chromed?
I think that is too subjective a question ie who is disassembling and rebuilding the rear end? What condition is it in the first place? If you work with your chromer you can save some $$. Have you considered hydrogen embrittlement? They don't need to be chromed to be impressive. On buying one, there are bargains to be had if you are prepared to put the work in. You really need to do the research and homework.

The Kugel product is certainly impressive and at $8500 is probably not that exxy when you break it down and consider that it is brand new and is delivered all shiney.

The last quote I heard of for a 9 inch set up with 31 spline axles and decent gear etc went just over $6k

Remember that boths of these figures are unfitted. They are staunch buy in numbers for a rear end for this kid but I like to get dirty. Imagine you bought a Jag to wreck with a V8 already in it? If you were patient and bought well you could get a bunch of usable hardware for great value to get you going and sell off the rest ie front end, column etc.

Just some thoughts

Cheers Turns
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly"...............Morticia Addams
Oldcol
Old Hand

Post by Oldcol »

...and then converted to Aussie Dollars,plus freight /duty /gst....it's going to be a big bucks exercise,no question ,plus you'd have to go through local engineering certification , and there could be signifigant expense there.
....but a simple old Jag rear can be easily sourced for $300-500 , rebuild cost is dependant on condition like any used item. If you replaced all the seals,bearings,uni's, reco the brake calipers and add some chrome details it could be a couple of grand,plus labour if you have to contract it out. No-one has so far addressed the setup and mounting in the car of each diff, the Jag is probably a bit more complex and does need someone with an understanding of the relevant goemetric principles pertinent to the Jag...which is the area that lots of blokes fuck up completely.
Set up correctly, they are near on the best thing in the world for a hotrod and will last just about forever. Do it wrong and it'll be a turd forever. So you need to do some research before you jump in , you have to have some abilities if you are to do it yourself,or at least be able to find the right person to make it happen for you. There are threads on here already that delve into the subject,I've said my bit on there as have a few others...so you need to do a bit of a search and read up on it , then decide who is talking the facts and who is being a parrot and just bullshitting their way along as many do on forums. There's lots of conflicting info out there,but they are a shithot rearend and well worth the effort to make them operate correctly.
-------------
Col....

"Works" comes before "looks good", cos "looks good" changes, and "works" works!
mr imp

Post by mr imp »

Here's one for $200 in the members classified section.

http://www.ozrodders.com/forum/viewtopi ... =9&t=61439

If it hasn't been snapped up.
Graham

Aspire to inspire before you expire.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it
toprodz
Old Hand

Post by toprodz »

The Kugel IRS I put in this chassis was about $16500.00 landed in Australia, the dollar has dropped a little since then, so would be a little higher now, The finished car has an amazing ride
I am doing a couple of A Model chassis' at the moment with Jag diffs, shortening them is around the $500 mark.
4 new Viking dual dampening billet shocks are about $1600 then there is still the cost of the diff rebuild, i.e. brakes, bush's, unis, etc, etc
Regards
Peter Gough
FOUNDING MEMBER #24 OZ-E-RODDERS ROD & KUSTOM CLUB
thetbucket

Post by thetbucket »

A 460 in a bucket, nice, but it would pay to think about a steering setup before the rearend. A 460 is BIG, the starter motor is on the drivers side and no vertical steering columns are allowed anymore, where is the steering box going to fit ? I run an FE 390 and if I did'nt have a vertical column it would have to be a small block. :(

9" versus Jag, I have had both under the same car, the 9" used a 4 bar setup and Jag coil over shocks. The car drove and rode well and went in a straight line under hard acceleration, really had no reason to change it except you can't beat the look of a Jag, especially under a Bucket.
The Jag is an S type fitted with a V12 LSD carrier which my diff builder told me makes them much stronger, the rest of the reconditioning I did myself, like new bearings and seals in the outer hubs, uni's etc.

The Jag does ride a little softer, but the bonus with the Jag I have found is you don't get torque twist through the chassis under hard acceleration. With the 9" the car was always trying to lift the left front wheel of the ground and bury the right rear into the asphalt, whereas with the Jag the car stays flat.

Alignment settings I have are 1/8'' toe in and 0 deg caster.

The cost, the Jag is dripping in chrome, all stainless dome nuts and a Quick Change hat, a bit over $6000.

Hope this helps you David.
rx4ord
Old Hand

Post by rx4ord »

Here's a Kugelly looking thing in a rod in Tassie.

Dave
Founding Member of OZ-E-Rodders
LIFESTYLZ

Post by LIFESTYLZ »

thetbucket wrote:
The cost, the Jag is dripping in chrome, all stainless dome nuts and a Quick Change hat,
Any pics appreciated.
Carps
Old Hand

Post by Carps »

35coupe wrote:

I did read from a carps post that the kugel IFS is based on the early jag stuff. Possibly the same for IRS..
Pretty much so. Jerry Kugel started his busines by offering kits to install Jag suspension units in hot rod chassis.
When availability of the English assemblies became critican, he created the first Kugel units using the Jag as base for his custoim version.

Why did he do this?

Because Jaguar got it right from the get go and there's not much that delivers the balance of ride comfort and great handling that any Jag is able to do.

And as Col said, there's bugger all that looks or works anything near as good under a T Bucket. In my ever so humble opinion, the simplicity of the original means it lookes far better than Jerry's more intricate billet units. John's bucket is living proof and I can also vouch for how well it rides and handles.

Young Carps

My people skills are just fine.
It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.