Jag/Ford brake conversion

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
Grazza
Old Hand

Jag/Ford brake conversion

Post by Grazza »

At this stage I am simply investigating options, but has anyone ever changed a XJ6 Jag PCD over to the 114.3 Ford size? Back in '12 Thom made a start on a thread about how he did it, but it never got finished. I liked his option, as he decreased the wheel track at the same time.

Does anyone know which calipers he used in the conversion? I'm guessing the machine work could be fairly simply worked out once all the parts were laid out on the bench. Would that be correct?
Graeme
I will forever defend your right
to disagree with my opinion.

"Within 5mm is Close Enough"
mgtstumpy
Old Hand

Re: Jag/Ford brake conversion

Post by mgtstumpy »

Try Hopper Stoppers, they might know being brake experts. A friend had his hubs redrilled to suit Ford but wasn't happy with how it machined up.
roguerunner

Post by roguerunner »

Um you mean the Jag Front End?
I found that Ford discs will fit on the front axle as they use similar size wheel bearings but you need to remove the axle from the strut they are bolted on there then have it machined to suit the narrower Ford hubs. I used the ford calipers as they also fit on there too.
Oz E Rodder member #134, ASRF member #17746,
Australian Motoring Enthusiasts Party member #1964

http://plymouthroguerunner.weebly.com
Grazza
Old Hand

Post by Grazza »

Thanks for that mate. basically what Thom said he did. Which model Ford calipers did you use? And did you have to make a spacer to move the wheel bearing out at all?
Graeme

roguerunner

Post by roguerunner »

Grazza wrote:Thanks for that mate. basically what Thom said he did. Which model Ford calipers did you use? And did you have to make a spacer to move the wheel bearing out at all?
The axle was machined to fit the Ford hub on it and that made the track narrower which suits my 39 Hudson better, I used the standard Ford caliper we just had to make an adaptor plate to fit it on the stub axle.

LIFESTYLZ

Post by LIFESTYLZ »

roguerunner wrote:
Grazza wrote:Thanks for that mate. basically what Thom said he did. Which model Ford calipers did you use? And did you have to make a spacer to move the wheel bearing out at all?
The axle was machined to fit the Ford hub on it and that made the track narrower which suits my 39 Hudson better, I used the standard Ford caliper we just had to make an adaptor plate to fit it on the stub axle.
I guess the question now is "Which model Ford calipers did you use"
roguerunner

Post by roguerunner »

LIFESTYLZ wrote:
roguerunner wrote:
I guess the question now is "Which model Ford calipers did you use"
ED Ford Discs & Calipers mate...

hotrodsteve

Post by hotrodsteve »

Hi Grazza, I did a set recents by using Chrysler wheel studs from Summit and re pcd ing the jag hub to ford. The larger shoulder on the Chrysler stud allows this . Just had to mill slightly larger flats on the hub for the studs to seat on. Was quite a straight forward operation. No changes to rotors or callipers needed. Steve.
Grazza
Old Hand

Post by Grazza »

That would leave the track the same as Jaguar wouldn't it Steve? I am after the narrowing effect of using the Ford stuff, as I have a fairly narrow track to start with. From what Thom said in his thread I should gain around 40mm going this way.

Thank you for your words of wisdom Roguerunner. I guess you didn't take any pics as you went along hey? :D
Graeme

LIFESTYLZ

Post by LIFESTYLZ »

I would imagine track width has a lot to do with wheel offset as well.
Just my 2 cents worth. :)
turns
Old Hand

Post by turns »

Hey Grazza

Lone*star has recently fitted a couple of Hoppers Stopper's kits to a couple of Jag front ends. They used BA discs and calipers and narrowed the track by 50mm (maybe 55mm - I am unsure and it would be best to speak to him for accuracy).

Neither are road tested as yet but they look like they will stop good :mrgreen:

Hope this helps

Cheers Turns
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly"...............Morticia Addams
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

This opens up another opportunity for flexibility. But which Series front end are we talking about ? S1 have different stubs to the S11 and S111 .
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

I did start looking at making a hub to narrow the track and in either chev or fraud pattern but wouldn't work with the jag calipers. I didn't think there would be any interest in making them as it would involve getting rid of the Jag 4 spot calipers and going to a sliding caliper so put it on the backburner. If there is interest I will keep going with it as I have the hub sorted just need to fit a caliper.
Regards Bob
roguerunner

Post by roguerunner »

Grazza wrote:That would leave the track the same as Jaguar wouldn't it Steve? I am after the narrowing effect of using the Ford stuff, as I have a fairly narrow track to start with. From what Thom said in his thread I should gain around 40mm going this way.

Thank you for your words of wisdom Roguerunner. I guess you didn't take any pics as you went along hey? :D
Sadly cannot remember if I took pics ..which I usually do & cannot find any on my Computer..

delco

Post by delco »

hotrodsteve wrote:Hi Grazza, I did a set recents by using Chrysler wheel studs from Summit and re pcd ing the jag hub to ford. The larger shoulder on the Chrysler stud allows this . Just had to mill slightly larger flats on the hub for the studs to seat on. Was quite a straight forward operation. No changes to rotors or callipers needed. Steve.
That is handy to know Steve , I also want to change to ford stud pattern and dont want to decrease track .
Did you use ARP-100-7703 studs , can seem to find any info on shoulder sizes anywhere.