292 Y Block - 4 speed overdrive auto

Go here for posts about rebuilds, parts and problems
GigglingMonkey

292 Y Block - 4 speed overdrive auto

Post by GigglingMonkey »

I've just bought a 55 Mainline kit (some assembly required). It has been 90% preped for painting 10 years ago, very little bog and only surface rust.

As I plan to use it as a daily driver the 2 things that strike me as non-negotiable are effective brakes and a decent overdrive auto. Its too long since I was up to date on these things I appeal to the collective knowlege of the forum. Your recommendations with a simply WHY be triffic

mick in glen innes
WORK the curse of the Rodding classes
1956 Mainline
mgtstumpy
Old Hand

Re: 292 Y Block - 4 speed overdrive auto

Post by mgtstumpy »

https://www.transmissionadapters.com/ford_y_block.htm (Bensteads) make a kit to suit AOD to Y-block, $USD850.00. I doubt anyone would bother making a kit to suit an Ozzie Ford BTR OD auto to Y-block. If you go that route you need 3.7:1 rear end to compensate for OD. Anything less and it will bog down and be a waste of time and be counter productive.
GigglingMonkey

Post by GigglingMonkey »

mgtstumpy wrote:https://www.transmissionadapters.com/ford_y_block.htm (Bensteads) make a kit to suit AOD to Y-block, $USD850.00. I doubt anyone would bother making a kit to suit an Ozzie Ford BTR OD auto to Y-block. If you go that route you need 3.7:1 rear end to compensate for OD. Anything less and it will bog down and be a waste of time and be counter productive.
When you say nothing LESS than 3.7:1 do you mean 3.5:1 is less than 3.7:1 is less than 4.09:, so many people I have known talk about it the other way round and I'm never sure what any actually means any more

mick in glen innes
1956 Mainline
Twin Spinner

Post by Twin Spinner »

GigglingMonkey wrote:
mgtstumpy wrote:https://www.transmissionadapters.com/ford_y_block.htm (Bensteads) make a kit to suit AOD to Y-block, $USD850.00. I doubt anyone would bother making a kit to suit an Ozzie Ford BTR OD auto to Y-block. If you go that route you need 3.7:1 rear end to compensate for OD. Anything less and it will bog down and be a waste of time and be counter productive.
When you say nothing LESS than 3.7:1 do you mean 3.5:1 is less than 3.7:1 is less than 4.09:, so many people I have known talk about it the other way round and I'm never sure what any actually means any more

mick in glen inne
No, 3.5 is higher than 3.7. the original diff in your 55 yoot should be just the right ratio for an AOD and they are plenty strong enough.
If it has tits or wheels, you can expect trouble.
GigglingMonkey

Post by GigglingMonkey »

mgtstumpy wrote:https://www.transmissionadapters.com/ford_y_block.htm (Bensteads) make a kit to suit AOD to Y-block, $USD850.00.
Going by the photo of kit I can't see much to the kit for the price, am I being a tight arse or just not seeing the value.

mick in glen innes
1956 Mainline
mgtstumpy
Old Hand

Post by mgtstumpy »

Not cheap however the market and manufacturer dictate price. The manufacturer(s) have the market sewn up, where else do you go for something that you need? They do all the R&R and manufactured a product to suit customer wants / needs. None of the kits are cheap, add another 33% for currency fluctuation and then freight. I hear you. I thought about http://www.wilcap.com/webdoc8.html however they only appear do GM to 'Y' block adaptors.
Twin Spinner

Post by Twin Spinner »

If the local Townsend's cant help you then Steve Jones or some of the dealers in Tamworth would.
If it has tits or wheels, you can expect trouble.
GigglingMonkey

Post by GigglingMonkey »

At an 'at my door' price of $AU12-1300 its starting to make a clevo sound like a better deal.
Thanks for your replies

Mick in glen innes
1956 Mainline
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Might be better to go the early Turbo 700 route with an adapter plate
Regards Bob
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

For the dosh mentioned ,it looks more economical to go as suggested with the T700 , or simply grab a donor runner 5 ltr vehicle with motor and box . The latter route of course strays from straight forward simplicity .
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
jailbar joe
Old Hand

Post by jailbar joe »

an fmx will do the job easily and easily adapted also for bugger all...on the road i reckon they will be much of a muchness....but...i'm no expert :D
cheers joe

if you do nothing then nothing happens
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

jailbar joe wrote:an fmx will do the job easily and easily adapted also for bugger all...on the road i reckon they will be much of a muchness....but...i'm no expert :D
Don't think the FMX is overdrive
Regards Bob
jailbar joe
Old Hand

Post by jailbar joe »

fmx is only a 3 speed but when you take into account all your driving conditions/situations and mileage i don't think there is that much difference in it...just my opinion :wink:
cheers joe

if you do nothing then nothing happens